Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Thule bike racks ?

Chris H

Chris H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Have Thule stoped doing the 928/9 now as on their web site they have new velospace XT2/3 ? If so has anyone tried them on a T6 Ocean with factory fit removable tow bar ?

Have Thule stoped doing the 928/9 now as on their web site they have new velospace XT2/3 ? If so has anyone tried them on a T6 Ocean with factory fit removable tow bar ?

Hi Chris,

Yes the 928 and 929 has been replaced by the Velospace, we have been told this has the same tilt angle so in theory should be fine with the T6. We have some arriving later this month and they will be added to the website.

Hi Chris,

Yes the 928 and 929 has been replaced by the Velospace, we have been told this has the same tilt angle so in theory should be fine with the T6. We have some arriving later this month and they will be added to the website.

We have just purchased the Velospace XT 2 for two ebikes and it does not tilt back far enough to allow the rear door to open. Some retailers state on their website that it does which is why we bought it, but we have had to unattach the small wire ropes either side to allow the whole rack to drop to the floor. My partner is looking at modifying the length of the wire rope so that we can attach it again and not have to drop the whole lot onto one of the bike handlebars :headbang

We have just purchased the Velospace XT 2 for two ebikes and it does not tilt back far enough to allow the rear door to open. Some retailers state on their website that it does which is why we bought it, but we have had to unattach the small wire ropes either side to allow the whole rack to drop to the floor. My partner is looking at modifying the length of the wire rope so that we can attach it again and not have to drop the whole lot onto one of the bike handlebars :headbang

Hmm that is very good to know

Hmm that is very good to know

Yeah, we were very disappointed when we put it all together and the door wouldn’t pass it, especially as there are much cheaper alternatives available if we were happy to remove it every time we opened the tailgate.

Luckily my OH is quite handy and is happy to modify it. You could drill holes further back and attach the original wire set at its current length to a different place on the rack, but I think it would invalidate the warranty, so we’ll keep you posted on the wire mod if he ever gets around to it :thumb

I had been under the impression that 3 bike carrier versions were the only ones that had the tilt point far enough away from the towhitch/tailgate to give enough tilt clearance.
The Velospace XT3 may be more suitable for Cali's. List price £550. £130 for 4th bike mounting.

Somewhere (in here?) I read that the tow arm itself comes in defend shapes. Especially the detachable Westfalia ones. And that should be part of the issue. With some types, the knob is further away from the tailgate. That let the tailgate open – with the same bike rack – on some Calis and not on others where the knob is too close to the car.

Somewhere (in here?) I read that the tow arm itself comes in defend shapes. Especially the detachable Westfalia ones. And that should be part of the issue. With some types, the knob is further away from the tailgate. That let the tailgate open – with the same bike rack – on some Calis and not on others where the knob is too close to the car.
Yes Westfalia GB and VW Factory Westfalia D are different, GB towball is slightly further away from the bumper.

Made the difference between a Westfalia GB(Witter) carrier being OK (on a Dealer fit GB one) and my VW Factory fitted towbar not allowing the tailgate to open.

Who knew?

Anyone got a Westfalia GB they fancy swapping with our Westfalia one then? ;)

Has anyone tried the easyfold XT 2/3 for door opening with the T6 Cali ?

Been waiting a while for the rack and getting nervous as there is still some uncertainness whether the tail gate can be opened. Has anyone tried the XT 3?

Looking at an XT3 or the folding easyfold version if they will tilt far enough

I think I have one I would be prepared to swap as I will never use a tow bar bike rack, I just tow a caravan. PM me and I'll send you pix if you want to proceed.

Oooh it was only a tongue in cheek remark, however I’ll speak to the OH and see if it’s something he wants to do if you’re offering.

Thank you very much. :thumb

Hi, I attached a Thule Velospace XT3 onto a T6 Coast yesterday. It tilts far enough for the door to open.

You need to make the small adjustment of attaching the "tilt wires" (for want of a better name!) to the back position. Once you do the back door has enough clearance....there's not much in it but it opens. This is with the factory fitted detachable hitch.

Hallo Andy
,this is the news I was looking for ! Could you kindly post a picture of your hook to double check it is the same model I own ?

IMG_1526.JPG

Even without any feedback :-( I decided to go for the Thule 939 xt3. I confirm this is OK with the"short" Westfalia removable hook ( here attached my one ) and it is possible to open the tailgate with bikes on . Rotation angle must me adjusted to 70 Deg and first bike must have its handlebar rotated.
This unit is very solid and easy to use .
Highly recommended

I have the Thule Easy-fold XT for 2 e-bikes, which we have been using happily on our 4x4 SUI for the last year or so. It does not tilt back far enough on the van however, and so we are about to advertise it for sale to get something compatible with both vehicles.

Thule VELOSPACE series ( for sure xt3 - to be checked xt2) will work, all the others series ( Easyfold; Velocompact etc ) will not allow to open tailgate.

Just for information.
Since buying my Thule Velospace XT 3, i’ve always thought that the locking handle required much too much effort to lock the rack onto the towball. The adjustment screw was at the minimum pressure but still required the strength of Tarzan to lock it. Googled the problem and others have experienced the same thing. One user suggested that simply removing the paint from the towball would fix the problem.
I was extremely doubtful that a layer of paint would make much difference but I tried it and sure enough, it now locks on solidly with a comfortable amount of effort.

I experienced the same.
I found that It is important that the rack is very well aligned while putting it in the towball. In this case locking is easy.