Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New to the club - looking for our first Cali

G

G&E&FamCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All
Am new to the club and looking forward to buying our first Cali. We are looking for an ocean - is there any tips that anyone can give me and a bit nervous as such a big outlay
Thanks

Have you had a Cali sized camper before, or are you coming from old fashioned camping with a small tent? If not, I'd hire one on a wet cold weekend first. Alternatively, the family can spend a trial weekend locked in your smallest room (en-suite bathroom) with wet coats and a wet dog. That should help establish if it's for you all.
Do regard this as reasonable advice, not anti-Cali. I've had them for 10 years, but know their limitations.

Last edited:
Do it. They are fantastic at everything they do. Get the bigger engine. Good luck in your hunt

I guess the first thing you need to work out is your budget and then start to match that to the year and model of Cali you can afford. Not really many tips that can be given until you define that as there is such a broad remit.

Euro6 engine spec is best for future use as this requirement is rolling out both in UK and Europe if plans to go there.

Do need 4 wheel drive? Towbar if no trailer then for a bike rack?

LED headlights if possible are worth having.

Reversing camera is essential for parking to avoid any hidden posts etc.

Full service history etc.

Normal thing about overall condition being top priority.