Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New to the forum, new to the California

C

Coastlines

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello all,
We are on the brink of ordering a new California Coast, just making the final decision on colour...which has by far been the hardest part so far!
We are in the process of adding to the spec and wondered:

Does anyone have any opinion on the optional wood-look flooring?
Any must have items in your opinion?

I also noticed that some of you new owners and about to be owners regret not ordering in the front fog lamps, can I ask why?

Many thanks in advance

Welcome. We have a Coast on order (cherry red for us).

Everyone will have different must haves, but for us, on a Coast, it would be the panoramic roof bellows.

We have added the tow bar (if you think you may want one, this is much better done in build, as to add after can involve taking apart the kitchen) and be a pain in the area.

Also, I think the 80l fuel tank is a no brainer if you do long road trips.

We've also added privacy glass (perfect for us) and heated front seats (I suffer back issues and it really helps on long journeys).

Personal view on the flooring - I absolutely hate the look of it, but it's a popular option for ease of cleaning. Definitely not for us.

Others will also say the upgraded air conditioning option is important if you have kids in the back.

Reactions: Sad
Cheers Chris, are LEDS a must have? Do you know how the halogens perform on the T6.1?
They are fine for us. No worse than most cars. LEDs are like 4motion. People with it love it, and those without don't miss it. It's a pricey option

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Cheers Chris, are LEDS a must have? Do you know how the halogens perform on the T6.1?

I don’t actually know but threads on T6 forum seem to suggest that the stock lights aren’t the best

Panoramic roof is a good suggestion too and the 80 Ltr fuel tank as suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the look of the wooden floor but I understand it is easy to scratch.
I would rather spend the money on decent fitted carpet, warmer underfoot & its surprising how much it quieter the van is with carpet everywhere.

Having had a loan vehicle with LED’s - I would now never order without.

70l to 80l tank - I can do 500 miles with 70l...

I forgot privacy on my Ocean. And in hindsight was glad i did as don’t find it enough and went for aftermarket darker tint. Worth checking for yourself to see if it’s waste of money (my after market darker tint was not much more expensive, so you could end up paying double).

Tow bar prep is definitely worthwhile.

I also like the climatronic (dog in the back).

Camping I use a roof liner and topper - so the panoramic not so much use - but got it anyway for ventilation and resale.

You need to think how you will use it a d what may help resale. Good luck in your decision making.

Hey. I’m waiting on my Coast to be built. Ordered Starlight Blue. Was a toss up between that and Red but think it looks good in all of the colours tbh. Shame there’s not a bit more choice!

I have added a few options, more than most probably, but good a great discount so meant I could add more - Devonports, Panoramic window, Comfort mattress, comfort lights, reverse camera, fog lights, privacy glass.
For me the fogs are an aesthetic thing mainly. I think they make the front look a lot better.

Hello all,
We are on the brink of ordering a new California Coast, just making the final decision on colour...which has by far been the hardest part so far!

I also noticed that some of you new owners and about to be owners regret not ordering in the front fog lamps, can I ask why?

Many thanks in advance
Having owned a Coast for 2 weeks now I can give you an honest appraisal. It's a great Van, the 150ps engine is ample for a vehicle of this size and weight, at least for now. The suspension is a little high and with the 16" Clayton's it's a bit vague, I will be putting 18"s on and then see if I need to lower. I would absolutely pay the small amount for front fog's , mine doesn't have them (it was a stock order) and it really pee's me off, aesthetically it makes a big difference, retro fitting looks very, very expensive. If I was ordering a bespoke van I would likely pick White and then wrap the bottom half in a colour of choice every couple of years. I have to keep reminding myself that I have bought a lifestyle not just a car and I haven't had the opportunity to take advantage of that yet. As stock the Coast is fine but not very aspirational and will need some additional funds. That's my take.

Everyone will have different must haves, but for us, on a Coast, it would be the panoramic roof bellows.

We have added the tow bar (if you think you may want one, this is much better done in build, as to add after can involve taking apart the kitchen) and be a pain in the area.

We've also added privacy glass (perfect for us) and heated front seats (I suffer back issues and it really helps on long journeys).

Personal view on the flooring - I absolutely hate the look of it, but it's a popular option for ease of cleaning. Definitely not for us.

Others will also say the upgraded air conditioning option is important if you have kids in the back.
Thanks for the nice welcome.

We will add the roof and thanks for the tip on the tow bar prep.

I like the look of the wooden floor but I understand it is easy to scratch.
I would rather spend the money on decent fitted carpet, warmer underfoot & its surprising how much it quieter the van is with carpet everywhere.
I had my concerns about the wooden floor, Marco Polo owners with the dark wood effect floor complain of easy scratching and they all put rugs over the top (which seems a shame).
I wonder if the light oak finish in the Coast might be a bit better though?

Having had a loan vehicle with LED’s - I would now never order without.

70l to 80l tank - I can do 500 miles with 70l...

I forgot privacy on my Ocean. And in hindsight was glad i did as don’t find it enough and went for aftermarket darker tint. Worth checking for yourself to see if it’s waste of money (my after market darker tint was not much more expensive, so you could end up paying double).

Tow bar prep is definitely worthwhile.

I also like the climatronic (dog in the back).

Camping I use a roof liner and topper - so the panoramic not so much use - but got it anyway for ventilation and resale.

You need to think how you will use it a d what may help resale. Good luck in your decision making.
Thanks Alison

Hey. I’m waiting on my Coast to be built. Ordered Starlight Blue. Was a toss up between that and Red but think it looks good in all of the colours tbh. Shame there’s not a bit more choice!

I have added a few options, more than most probably, but good a great discount so meant I could add more - Devonports, Panoramic window, Comfort mattress, comfort lights, reverse camera, fog lights, privacy glass.
For me the fogs are an aesthetic thing mainly. I think they make the front look a lot better.
We are in the same boat, a decent bit of discount meaning we can spec. up a bit.
I like Starlight, looks really classy. I was surprised how nice the white was as well...and the Ascot Grey (which I thought would be dirty white) has turned out to be much nicer. We shall see!

Kitchens are only taken apart by people who don't know what they are doing and they are of course the last people you want to take your kitchen apart.

Having owned a Coast for 2 weeks now I can give you an honest appraisal. It's a great Van, the 150ps engine is ample for a vehicle of this size and weight, at least for now. The suspension is a little high and with the 16" Clayton's it's a bit vague, I will be putting 18"s on and then see if I need to lower. I would absolutely pay the small amount for front fog's , mine doesn't have them (it was a stock order) and it really pee's me off, aesthetically it makes a big difference, retro fitting looks very, very expensive. If I was ordering a bespoke van I would likely pick White and then wrap the bottom half in a colour of choice every couple of years. I have to keep reminding myself that I have bought a lifestyle not just a car and I haven't had the opportunity to take advantage of that yet. As stock the Coast is fine but not very aspirational and will need some additional funds. That's my take.
That Sir, is an excellent idea, the money you save ordering white instead of a metallic should pay for the lower half wrap in a vinyl of your choice....we may well explore this as an option!!

If financially possible add the LED's and fog lights. Over time you won't regret it. Really down to how long you intend to keep it and how much night driving you do. I don't have them as they were very expensive a few years ago.

You can get better performing Halogen bulbs, Osram +150% being the best currently. Circa £20 a pair.

Not sure if still an option but uprated ARB's (anti roll bars) and lowered suspension will save any later shopping around and decision making. First time round a roundabout without those options and you'll see why they are needed.

Welcome here
I guess it is going to be an exciting Sunday! Have fun ordering!

No real help re fog lights (mine had them - I like them) and LED (mine was ages away from that tec - I def order in the future), I like the look of the floor, however we stick to the Brandrup carpets we already got with the van.

Last edited:
If financially possible add the LED's and fog lights. Over time you won't regret it. Really down to how long you intend to keep it and how much night driving you do. I don't have them as they were very expensive a few years ago.

You can get better performing Halogen bulbs, Osram +150% being the best currently. Circa £20 a pair.

Not sure if still an option but uprated ARB's (anti roll bars) and lowered suspension will save any later shopping around and decision making. First time round a roundabout without those options and you'll see why they are needed.
Thanks for the advice, will keep in mind

Welcome here
I guess it is going to be a exciting Sunday! Have fun ordering!

No real help re fog lights (mine had them - I like them) and LED (mine was ages away from that tec - I def order in the future), I like the look of the floor, however we stick to the Brandrup carpets we already got with the van.
Cheers, thanks for the welcome

Helllo and Welcome.
Definitely go for Panoramic Bellows and the fogs do finish the front off.
Where you ordering from and what sort of discount is currently available?

Helllo and Welcome.
Definitely go for Panoramic Bellows and the fogs do finish the front off.
Where you ordering from and what sort of discount is currently available?
We are firm on the roof upgrade, tsk for the confirmation.
LVC are very well priced in comparison to our local VC, but still in negotiation...

Hello all,

Many thanks in advance
The flooring is a personal choice but since most people cover it up with some form of carpet or mat, does it really matter what's underneath. Carpet protects the floor which can mark and show wear over time. I may be wrong, but having a texture to it, I believe the standard floor can be a little hard to get really clean at times. Besides, taking a carpet out and giving it a good bashing is a lot easier than cleaning that floor. Depending on what type of mat you pick, you might even be able to toss it into the washing machine periodically. We have a magic carpet in ours and it is perfect for the job. Just shake, hoover and bingo. Another advantage of a carpet or mat is that it helps to stop assorted crud finding its way into the floor runner grooves.

20191109_111206.jpg

As for the fog lamps, of all of the options they are IMO, one of the least useful. They don't really serve any meaningful purpose. Yes, they come on and turn when you go round corners but that function doesn't really give you much of an advantage. Also, I've never found them that good in fog either.
LEDs are a different matter. If you can, go for these. Having previously had both H4s and H7s on previous vans, they make such a big difference to night driving. I also recomend the auto dipping head light function.

Last edited:
Back