Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New to the forum

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum and my wife and I have just started to think about looking at a California.

We were smitten with them years ago when we had no hope of owning one, and have never owned a camper before.

We have camped a lot (tent) and we are always down in Cornwall on holidays with our beloved Border Collie, Lucy.

We've taken a look at a few van conversions (Big Wave Campers and Mal-VW). BWC seemed okay, but a bit rough around the edges and Mal-VW seemed very high quality.

We are yet to actually see inside and 'feel' a California, so renting one for a weekend is high on our priority list for the Autumn.

It would be used as a camper and not a daily driver by either of us, but my parents-in-law might use it quite a bit as I think they are about to sell their caravan (they're retired so have more free time than us!).

Looking forward to learning a lot around here :)

A warm welcome :welcome

Come on in, lots to read here, lots of information but I am sure also a lot of questions that you will want to ask so please feel comfortable to do just that :D

Hi and welcome. Your certainly in the right place.

Mike

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Definitely ' Try before you Buy '.

Welcome , renting to try usually means ending up buying one....:thumb

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
:welcome
(Big Wave Campers and Mal-VW).

looking at these vans one thing that stands out is they appear have fixed rear seats which fold out forward to make up the bed. The big thing I like about the Cali and works for us is the rock and roll bed you can push it forward which we do when we have 4 up or when we want to use the boot to the full.

Thanks for the welcome everyone

Good point re the rear bench / bed. In the Big Wave ones there weren't any belts either so not used for travelling occupants, but the front had three seats (with the double seat spinning round).

I know i'm not comparing apples with apples but it is interesting to see what the extra cash on a Cali (see, I'm getting the lingo!) gets you.

I'm really liking the standard diesel heater too - my wife and I are generally cold people so would use this a LOT.

A few quick questions;

1) Does any age of Cali have hot/warm water for the sink or rear shower attachment?
2) When hooked up to 240v, does the heating use the hookup power rather than diesel?
3) How much weight can the top bed support? I'm about 14st and my wife won't tell me how much she weighs, but she is not as much as me and only 5ft 2!!
4) Do you shut the roof shutter to the roof/cabin when you are up there?!

1 ) no (maybe some high tops have a boiler ....)
2) it uses diesel but very litle and electric also very litle (Welshgas will come up with figures soon ;))
3) no problem for 2 heavy adults (again Welshgas....)
4) we don't but one can if want to...

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
You can have the heater on a conversion too. It seems the most loved option on whatever forum you read. Mine is super neat!

Very frugal.

VW's own conversion = California gets you a higher residual value ,if you buy the right spec then they hold their value like nothing else and keeps your investment safe✌️

VW's own conversion = California gets you a higher residual value ,if you buy the right spec then they hold their value like nothing else and keeps your investment safe✌️

Thanks - I'm still trying to get my head around what that right spec might be!

Is it engine and gearbox specific or more about the options list?

Parking sensors, cruise control etc I can understand being essential (and very mean of vw not to include them).

Is the 150 engine just terrible? Sure I'd love the 204 DSG 2wd but really not sure the price hike can justify it, can it?? Remember this wouldn't be a daily driver.

Thanks - I'm still trying to get my head around what that right spec might be!

Is it engine and gearbox specific or more about the options list?

Parking sensors, cruise control etc I can understand being essential (and very mean of vw not to include them).

Is the 150 engine just terrible? Sure I'd love the 204 DSG 2wd but really not sure the price hike can justify it, can it?? Remember this wouldn't be a daily driver.

You'd be fine with the 150. Nothing wrong with that at all. The options list can be very confusing! Beware of comfort seat/height adjustment (lose front seat swivel) and heated rear window (lose double glazing) options. ACC is great. Sat nav is Marmite. I got it, but it's not the best in the world. Wish I got: Tow bar, Chrome pack and 80 litre fuel tank (not available when I ordered mine). LED lights are worthwhile also, standard lights not brilliant (literally). Hope this helps.

Excellent stuff - that's good to hear re the 150 - obviously it is cheaper to buy than the 204, but presumably they both depreciate roughly the same amount %wise?

The LED lights were something I would be keen on. Satnav I'm not bothered as I am thinking I'd fit an aftermarket Pioneer DAB/Nav double-din unit anyway as I've had these before and found them great performance and value.

ACC didn't come up as an option on the configurator for the 150 manual - not sure if it needs the DSG box to be able to be selected?

My daughter who has actually lived in a Mercedes Sprinter campervan replaced her old one with a newer one which she had converted to her own specification. When I started shopping for my van she advised me (and has advised others) that having a van converted tends to work out MORE expensive - which may be irrelevant since you were looking at vans already converted, but just thought it worth passing on.