Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New tyres - a nail in one and a screw in the other!!

CaliCrazy

CaliCrazy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
What a spot of bad luck! A nail in one back tyre and a screw in the other back one! The front two are just about legal so I think it is time to buy a new set. Any recommendations for an 66 plate Ocean please? We need 17inches and have Cascavel alloys.

I’ve been using Michelin CrossClimate + and have been very pleased with them. All seasons m&s rated as well as suitable in snow. Got a good deal on Goodyear Vector 4seasons from Black Circles this weekend so giving those a try next. Several members have them and seem happy.

What a spot of bad luck! A nail in one back tyre and a screw in the other back one! The front two are just about legal so I think it is time to buy a new set. Any recommendations for an 66 plate Ocean please? We need 17inches and have Cascavel alloys.
Everyone has their own preferred choice. I you want one set that's good all year round then something like Goodyear Vector 4seasons will cover all weather and road conditions pretty well.

You might also take a look on Ebay. For very little more than the cost of a set of new tyres, you can often a find genuine VW Transporter wheels and tyres with only delivery miles. 17" Devonports usually with Continental tyres are a common sight.

Have a look at Michelin Crossclimate Agilis, engineered for vans, with a more aggressive tread than + or SUV.

Your starting point is to establish if you were starting from 215x60 or 235x55. Both sizes come with the 150 Oceans.
The x55 give a softer ride as they inflate circa 10psi lower, but seem to consume more fuel.

Your starting point is to establish if you were starting from 215x60 or 235x55. Both sizes come with the 150 Oceans.
The x55 give a softer ride as they inflate circa 10psi lower, but seem to consume more fuel.
Didn't know that, thanks for the tip.

I would add my vote for Cross Climate .... Whisper smooth and quiet. I hope you have not been nobbled. I had a screw in my Audi tyre and my wife says its because I have a stop brexit sticker on the car!

Another vote for cross climates

If going All Season go for the SUV version as they have a stiffer/stronger sidewall plus slightly different tread design to prevent mud and stones sticking in, clear themselves better. The sidewall is more suited to the Cali's weight than the normal passenger car versions. Same 103 load rating in the 235/55/17 profile.

Cross Climate Agilis is designed for vans.
And if the California was used as a Van they would be fine, but the independents that I consulted were of the same opinion that correctly rated SUV tyres were better suited.

I think it would be interesting to point out that, according to some threads here, a lot of Cali owners are probably over the gross weight limit.

I think it would be interesting to point out that, according to some threads here, a lot of Cali owners are probably over the gross weight limit.
Mine isn’t, by a long way. Can’t speak for others.

The California may be based on a Van, but I don’t carry heavy or asymmetrical loads or do a lot of short or stop/start journeys. The Caravelle or Shuttle are also based on a Van , but like the California all are classified as Diesel Cars in the U.K. and so a properly rated tyre for the vehicle is required. Normal car/SUV tyres tend to be more comfortable than a C rated or Commercial Van tyre

Mine isn’t, by a long way. Can’t speak for others.

The California may be based on a Van, but I don’t carry heavy or asymmetrical loads or do a lot of short or stop/start journeys. The Caravelle or Shuttle are also based on a Van , but like the California all are classified as Diesel Cars in the U.K. and so a properly rated tyre for the vehicle is required. Normal car/SUV tyres tend to be more comfortable than a C rated or Commercial Van tyre
It may be that a 7 seat Beach is rated for a higher gross weight than an Ocean. I'm sure someone here has the info. Mine was a German ex-demo which had Bridgestone C rated winter tires fitted by the dealer.

It may be that a 7 seat Beach is rated for a higher gross weight than an Ocean. I'm sure someone here has the info. Mine was a German ex-demo which had Bridgestone C rated winter tires fitted by the dealer.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-18C 215/65R 16 C 106/104T

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-18C 215/65R 16 C 106/104T
I'll take a look at my tire sticker on the door tomorrow. It would indeed be interesting if VW recommends a higher load rating for the Beach than for the Ocean/SE. Also would be interesting to see if SUV's are available in that load rating.

Last edited:
Weight Rating is on the chassis plate. A Beach would have a higher load carrying capacity, which would be linked to the number of seats installed, than an Ocean but the same Gross weights would apply.
All decided by the original Van platform that the California range is based.

+1 for Goodyear Vector 4Seasons. I just bought a replacement pair and they were considerably cheaper than Michelin CrossClimates - I paid £112 each (fitted) from Black Circles although that was on Cyber Monday (yeah I know, tyres...?).

The weight of the Oceans fully stocked kitchen, water tank, etc will reduce it's spare load capacity, not to mention the additional weight of a full porta potti...

ps. could the nail / screw punctures be fixed if the tyres are new, if they are within the central tread area, many places can plug / patch safely.

My Bridgestone 235/55 103 V tyres have just made it to 4mm depth at 17000 miles. My Beach its three years old. Any recommendations for a tyre that might take me further.?

My Nokian Weatherproof AllSseason tyres have only gone down by 1mm in 8,000 miles. Michelin Climate Control+ are rated highly for mileage.

I will certainly going for all-weather three of some sort next time around. I’ve just being skiing and was embarrassingly the only vehicle not able to make it up to the resort in light snow without chains.