NEW VEHICLE INSURANCE BEFORE COLLECTING

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I've been told by the dealer I'm buying my California from that the moment I pay for it, its mine, and I have to insure it. Previously I paid for the vehicle and then didn't take delivery of it for a week. I then took out insurance from the day that I took delivery and was going to be driving it. So if the dealer is correct, and the dealer's insurance doesn't fully cover my vehicle, does this mean it has been uninsured for the time between me paying for it and collecting it? What's your view?

Ultimately it depends on the t&c’s of their insurance. They’ll have cover for stock but it may state that once the customer has paid then it is no longer stock.

I've been told by the dealer I'm buying my California from that the moment I pay for it, its mine, and I have to insure it. Previously I paid for the vehicle and then didn't take delivery of it for a week. I then took out insurance from the day that I took delivery and was going to be driving it. So if the dealer is correct, and the dealer's insurance doesn't fully cover my vehicle, does this mean it has been uninsured for the time between me paying for it and collecting it? What's your view?
I guess it’s rational that the point at which the vehicle becomes yours is when you take responsibility for it and it‘s insurance. Having recently bought a car from a dealer and due to COVID I paid prior to collecting by a few days, I didn’t insure until I collected!

I guess it’s rational that the point at which the vehicle becomes yours is when you take responsibility for it and it‘s insurance. Having recently bought a car from a dealer and due to COVID I paid prior to collecting by a few days, I didn’t insure until I collected!
So if your Cali is stolen or damaged during those few days it was it uninsured?

So if your Cali is stolen or damaged during those few days it was it uninsured?
Before reading your post I would have, like you, assumed that the dealer took responsibility up to the point of handover, but based on what you’ve been told I’m not convinced! Hopefully one of our legal experts can give a view.

Giving the dealer funds doesn't mean you've purchased the vehicle so unless you've signed a contract taking ownership I'd say the insurance is their problem.

I'm picking mine up tomorrow. The dealer's been in funds since Tuesday - if I get there and find it's not built to my spec they'll be keeping it and I'll be asking for my money back. The sale's not completed until I accept it.

EDIT - *not a legal expert*

I also thought that VW offers 7 days of free insurance. ? I have never paid more than the deposit on any van until I have inspected on the day of pick up.

Edit 5days see my next post

Last edited:
Another dealer not clear on what VW offer?

Complimentary Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Drive Away Insurance
We want you to start enjoying your vehicle from day one, and thanks to our complimentary five day Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Drive Away Insurance you can. If eligible, we will also provide you with an annual quotation, giving you the option to purchase annual cover, so you can enjoy the same peace of mind for a further 12 months. For further details, please speak to your local Volkswagen Van Centre

Subject to eligibility. Five Day Drive Away insurance cannot be used in conjunction with any other insurance offer. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Insurance is arranged by U K Insurance Business Solutions and underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.

Don't pay the final balance until you collect it. Its important that you inspect the vehicle and are happy with it before making final payment.

Even if you took the insurance out, I doubt that you would actually be covered as:

- The keys are not in your possession. would be an issue with insurers if the van is stolen.
- Any Insurance states vehicle must be locked / alarmed when locked unattended (how could you be sure of this?)
- Usual 48hr rule would be breached.

Back in July I was told VW no longer offer free 5 day insurance for higher price vehicles, I think it was anything over £60k. When it is offered you have to phone VW and get the vehicle/yourself registered with them for the policy to take effect.

Don't pay the final balance until you collect it. Its important that you inspect the vehicle and are happy with it before making final payment.

Even if you took the insurance out, I doubt that you would actually be covered as:

- The keys are not in your possession. would be an issue with insurers if the van is stolen.
- Any Insurance states vehicle must be locked / alarmed when locked unattended (how could you be sure of this?)
How do I pay a balance of more than £60k on the day? Can I pay that much by debit card? I don't want to drive all the way up to Preston to find I can't get the money transferred because TSB are useless (which they are). I was going to do a CHAPS transfer the day before. The max transfer I can make via the TSB app is £25k per day:(

You should be able to pay by debit card assuming you have have sufficient available funds . It might be helpful to check with your bank before hand though.

How do I pay a balance of more than £60k on the day? Can I pay that much by debit card? I don't want to drive all the way up to Preston to find I can't get the money transferred because TSB are useless (which they are). I was going to do a CHAPS transfer the day before. The max transfer I can make via the TSB app is £25k per day:(
I’ve used my Amex charge card for £58,000, no problem and my Lloyds Debit card for the California £57,000. All I did was notify the bank beforehand . On the day the card went into the machine , PIN number, enter and job done. I was told by the salesman that sometimes the customer gets a phone call so take your phone with you.

I’ve used my Amex charge card for £58,000, no problem and my Lloyds Debit card for the California £57,000. All I did was notify the bank beforehand . On the day the card went into the machine , PIN number, enter and job done. I was told by the salesman that sometimes the customer gets a phone call so take your phone with you.
Thanks! I'll phone TSB to see if that will work for them too. That would be so much easier.

I did my purchase the same way as WelshGas via Barclays. They did phone to confirm the transaction once the payment had been activated.

What is the 48 hour rule?

With the last van that I purchased from a dealer the payment was done on a card at the time of collection and I had a free five day insurance provided by VW starting from the time that I collected the vehicle.
And that was officially classified as an 'Approved Used' vehicle with just seventeen miles on the clock when I test drove it.

Most policies have a clause with wording similar to below:

//
Exclusions to Section I of your policy (cont.)

13. Loss or damage covered under section 1 if your motorhome is stored for a period in excess or 48 hours anywhere other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact.

//

Comfort Insurance insist on you informing them if the vehicle is parked for more than 48hrs without the owner being present. They may agree or request an additional payment when you call. Excludes parking at home but if you park at the airport whilst taking a flight you have to phone.

Comfort Insurance insist on you informing them if the vehicle is parked for more than 48hrs without the owner being present. They may agree or request an additional payment when you call. Excludes parking at home but if you park at the airport whilst taking a flight you have to phone.
Wow, thanks - I won’t be using comfort then.

Having just paid for my GC I was initially told that paying by card was ok. The day came to pay and things had changed and seemingly the dealership (euro vans) were no longer able to accept card payments. This then meant four payments over four different days to get to the total.

Guy at Preston just phoned to confirm my van is going to be ready for delivery at the end of next week, He also told me (and I did moan a bit at him about this) that paying by card at collection is not possible. It is a group (i.e. Swansway?) policy. So I have to do a bank transfer(s) before I pick it up. Not good, but they have me over a barrel.

Guy at Preston just phoned to confirm my van is going to be ready for delivery at the end of next week, He also told me (and I did moan a bit at him about this) that paying by card at collection is not possible. It is a group (i.e. Swansway?) policy. So I have to do a bank transfer(s) before I pick it up. Not good, but they have me over a barrel.
Thanks for this. I was hoping to pay £30,000 on my IHG credit card, giving me a couple of free Intercontinental hotel nights...