Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Years Eve Inspiration required

Jason wallace

Jason wallace

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi All

Having decided a few weeks back that we (2 Adults and 2 8 yo) would like to escape for a few days over New Year i'm really struggling to find inspiration of where to go.

Being midlands based we've considered the South Coast, Peaks, North Wales, Norfolk, close to city or town......and finally not to bother.

Don't get me wrong, i know there lots of sites open but its finding that one that stands out (wild camping not an option). If i had to set out some rough criteria it would be a site not far from a beach with pub/restaurant close by for family dinner.

So i'm in need to inspiration, does anyone else any ideas? What plans does everyone else have for NY?

Thanks

Hoping to get down to Cornwall over new year, Mousehole harbour is lit up in aid of the RNLI and you have the Eden Project, not looked for a site yet though but happy to wild camp. Also midlands based..

Hi All

Having decided a few weeks back that we (2 Adults and 2 8 yo) would like to escape for a few days over New Year i'm really struggling to find inspiration of where to go.

Being midlands based we've considered the South Coast, Peaks, North Wales, Norfolk, close to city or town......and finally not to bother.

Don't get me wrong, i know there lots of sites open but its finding that one that stands out (wild camping not an option). If i had to set out some rough criteria it would be a site not far from a beach with pub/restaurant close by for family dinner.

So i'm in need to inspiration, does anyone else any ideas? What plans does everyone else have for NY?

Thanks
Crystal Palace - Caravan & Motorhome Club site. Not 3 bus outside takes you to Picadilly Central London and also return. Runs all day + Night. Museums, shows, sights of London, River trips, Royal Parks etc: etc:.
Next to Crystal Palace Park. Plenty of Cafes & Restaurants within walking distance.

Also, New Years Day - Free cycle tour from Cutty Sark into the City of London and return - Guided. Bring your own bikes. Suitable for ALL age groups. Mostly off- road or cycle ways.

Also, New Years Day - Free cycle tour from Cutty Sark into the City of London and return - Guided. Bring your own bikes. Suitable for ALL age groups. Mostly off- road or cycle ways.
This is not run every year - it depends on volunteers from Greenwich Cyclists to lead:
https://lcc.org.uk/events/greenwich-cyclists-new-years-day-ride

It broadly follows the Jubilee Greenway sections 7, 8 and 9, then similar on the north side of the Thames.
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/jubilee-greenway

This is not run every year - it depends on volunteers from Greenwich Cyclists to lead:
https://lcc.org.uk/events/greenwich-cyclists-new-years-day-ride

It broadly follows the Jubilee Greenway sections 7, 8 and 9, then similar on the north side of the Thames.
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/jubilee-greenway
Did the Christmas Day ride in 2014. Excellent tour of the City of London with a very knowledgeable guide. Ending up cycling up the Mall, Park Lane and on to Edgware Road with an excellent meal in a Lebanese Restaurant using their Function Room. About 30 riders in total.
Starbucks at the Cutty Sark was the only Starbucks open in London.

Jason - I would also go the same as Loz- Longleat. Just got back in the door after a few nights there.
The site only had 1/2 doz units on site. (although the warden says they very full at the weekend due to the light shows going on at the Safari Park.) Odd going to the loo in the night hearing Lions roar!

What we did was:-
  • Weston-super-Mare
  • Clevedon pier
  • Old Wardour Castle
  • Knowlton Church and circle
Not far to Bath also Fleet air arm museum at Yeovilton

there is a good discount for cmc members to Longleat

Last edited:
Did the Christmas Day ride in 2014. Excellent tour of the City of London with a very knowledgeable guide. Ending up cycling up the Mall, Park Lane and on to Edgware Road with an excellent meal in a Lebanese Restaurant using their Function Room. About 30 riders in total.
Starbucks at the Cutty Sark was the only Starbucks open in London.
Before Ben and Jack I was very involved with Greenwich Cyclists, Lewisham Cyclists and Southwark Cyclists, leading several of their rides, including the four day motor traffic free Easter weekend Paris to London ride. I had no idea people came from so far away to join a ride. London has a great many quiet cycle routes along its rivers and canals. You get a whole different perspective on the city from these routes.

Crystal Palace - Caravan & Motorhome Club site. Not 3 bus outside takes you to Picadilly Central London and also return. Runs all day + Night. Museums, shows, sights of London, River trips, Royal Parks etc: etc:.
Next to Crystal Palace Park. Plenty of Cafes & Restaurants within walking distance.

Just what I was after hoping to see London’s New Year’s Eve fireworks this year wife and 2 kids in tow thought the Cali will be ideal for a overnight as long as there’s a campsite with good links and a WC

England's highest pub. The tan Hill inn. Camp in car park for a charity donation usually. Live music. Good beer. Bleak. Remote. Brutal weather. And it's in Yorkshire. What's not to like

Thanks all for the suggestions.

We have a winner and will be taking the girls to Longleat for New Year.

It was fully booked initially (and is again now), but kept checking a couple of times a day and they must have had a cancellation as it became available so we grabbed it.

Just need to check TripAdvisor and find somewhere nice for a NY family dinner.

This thread got us thinking and with the benefit of losing the kids for a few days have decided to try winter camping and pinch the idea of New Year at Longleat, have also managed to get tickets for longleat lantern parade and firework display on New Years day. If you pass another T6 do pop your head round the door to welcome the new year in

Back