Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Years Resolution - learn to kitesurf - advice needed on schools

Bramco

Bramco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
So this year I've decided I need to take up kitesurfing. I've been a windsurfer since we moved to Holland in the late 70's although I've never really been any good, just enjoy getting out on the water and having a blast.

Seems like everywhere we've been on holiday this year there have been situations where if I could have kitesurfed I'd have been out on the water. From Mui Ne in Vietnam to the lakes in the Italian alps.

I've always been a bit concerned about having a go as at the start of the kitesurf thing I bought a reasonably large kite and having a go in a local park forgot to let go when a gust came along and 10's of metres later came crashing to earth and tore all the ligaments in my shoulder. Obviously since then kit has improved including the harnesses to control the power.

So has anyone out there been through a training course? If so where did you do it? What time of year? etc.

And can anyone recommend a good school - probably in the UK as I'd try to get my two grown up windsurfing sons along if they can make it.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Where would you be based if you came to the UK? Learning in the UK it’s best to wait until spring for water based tuition. Many schools / instructors will do land-based kite lessons all year round so you can get used to launching / flying / landing a kite etc.

Kit development has come on so much over the last 10 years, and the sport has become so much more accessible. I have kited all over the world and love the fact I can rock up at the beach with just a small rucksack and board!

Where would you be based if you came to the UK?
Sorry, should have made it more clear - we're back in the UK - only spent 10 years in Holland.

Funsport in Rhosneigr, Anglesey
Thanks Bigmac, ideally I'd find somewhere closer for my sons - they live in the South West and London, so the south coast would be better.

If I can't get them interested then Anglesey would be a good option for me from the East Midlands.

Sorry, should have made it more clear - we're back in the UK - only spent 10 years in Holland.

Thanks Bigmac, ideally I'd find somewhere closer for my sons - they live in the South West and London, so the south coast would be better.

If I can't get them interested then Anglesey would be a good option for me from the East Midlands.
Poole kitesurfing, ideal learning on the inner harbour, shallow water and sheltered so flat water too most of the time.

Yep second that Poole is a great place to learn. Also camber sands, Bracklesham or KiteSurf Kings in Brighton / Hove. Loads to be fair along the south coast, but Poole probably best for learning.

I spent more trying to kitesurf than if I'd just bought a Porsche!

I went to Tiree. It was very choppy & quite epic at points. It was also completely wind free the first week I booked. People said to go abroad as with thermal winds, you don't have to contend with waves so much. I think I would if I had another go...

However, if you want to stay in the UK, the kite place in Rhyl has a good setup & I've been told it's got good instructors. I've also been to the guy in Barrow, which was fun. There used to be a couple of very good forums for info. Best to get decent lessons for the safety aspects, have fun!

Paul Sweeney at Nomadic Kitesurfing near Calshot, Southampton highly recommended. I learnt kitesurfing with him last year and have been on some great trips with him. Just bought a new Cali and thinking of going further than my usual Weymouth-Portland visits; Tiree would be amazing!!

I tried at cleethorpes. gave up after 1 lesson. I can snowboard and wake board fine. I could fly the small kites great on the 3 wire system. but as soon as I got hold of that full sized thing I was done for. good luck. prepare for some pain

Back