Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Zealand 1st overnight trip

Debra Lumsden

Debra Lumsden

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
31CB09C9-C08B-4822-BA51-4D27E6EB7BB7.jpeg 91C08722-1C35-4275-B9D9-1739997AD759.jpegSo I decided to take Clint my Cali for his first overnight trip in our New Zealand winter. It was set to be a cold one at night but bright sunshine during the day. We (me and my mum Schnauzer Jeffrey) headed to the Bay of Plenty beach town of Waihi to camp and I was not disappointed. It was cold up in the top bunk with any exposed bits but I was nicely snuggled underneath the sleeping bags so it didn’t bother me too much. The view first thing was awesome so happy to be able to have these adventures in my van with the hound in tow

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff , can you just park up anywhere to stay the night back there ?
Seems the houses in the back ground are pretty close .
Nice licence plate also ;)

:welcome Nice looking van. You do know the roof goes up further.( :)I am sorry could not help myself)

:welcome Nice looking van. You do know the roof goes up further.( :)I am sorry could not help myself)

Maybe it came down that way overnight....:D

Great stuff , can you just park up anywhere to stay the night back there ?
Seems the houses in the back ground are pretty close .
Nice licence plate also ;)

There are designated places to park in certain places and a lot of the department of conservation lands allow it too. This spot is about 20m from the beach and had about 10 parking spots for campers, a small corner shop and a chip shop within walking distance too ! You have to have a self containment sticker to freedom camp in NZ and quite a few beach locations allow you to park up for 2-3 nights, some restrictions exist in some locations for summer too.

Reactions: Sad

I was checking it out mid roof lowering as per the advice from the forum and well, Clint is so pretty even with his roof all floppy I had to take a photo !

View attachment 36493 View attachment 36491So I decided to take Clint my Cali for his first overnight trip in our New Zealand winter. It was set to be a cold one at night but bright sunshine during the day. We (me and my mum Schnauzer Jeffrey) headed to the Bay of Plenty beach town of Waihi to camp and I was not disappointed. It was cold up in the top bunk with any exposed bits but I was nicely snuggled underneath the sleeping bags so it didn’t bother me too much. The view first thing was awesome so happy to be able to have these adventures in my van with the hound in tow

I am envious... we are waiting for our new Cali to arrive (around Oct) so will be able to head away to the likes of Waihi and others! I was heading home a couple of days ago and spied a red/white Cali heading down towards the motorway onramp in Ellerslie .... not sure if it was you - but love the colour and I think I would have spotted the distinctive number plate! Anyway I hope you have many more wonderful nights in your Van. It's just feeling like spring, so summer is just around the corner :)

I am envious... we are waiting for our new Cali to arrive (around Oct) so will be able to head away to the likes of Waihi and others! I was heading home a couple of days ago and spied a red/white Cali heading down towards the motorway onramp in Ellerslie .... not sure if it was you - but love the colour and I think I would have spotted the distinctive number plate! Anyway I hope you have many more wonderful nights in your Van. It's just feeling like spring, so summer is just around the corner :)

I had waited to see one and test drive one for over a year and finally found one due to be on show at field days but ended up seeing one in Giltrap the weekend before on a chance trip! Clint was enroute at the time so I put my deposit down there and then. There is a red and white Kombi knocking about around Remuera (think it has PIECE as the number plate) and another red and white one in East Tamaki. I can’t wait to head down to Ohope soon too as the beach there is awesome for dogs and we can park up in a couple of places there. We will have to keep each other posted on good places to stay! I got my self contained certificate done last weekend, $700 but only approved for 2 people due to the water tank size and the loo needing to be useable when the bed is also in use!

I had waited to see one and test drive one for over a year and finally found one due to be on show at field days but ended up seeing one in Giltrap the weekend before on a chance trip! Clint was enroute at the time so I put my deposit down there and then. There is a red and white Kombi knocking about around Remuera (think it has PIECE as the number plate) and another red and white one in East Tamaki. I can’t wait to head down to Ohope soon too as the beach there is awesome for dogs and we can park up in a couple of places there. We will have to keep each other posted on good places to stay! I got my self contained certificate done last weekend, $700 but only approved for 2 people due to the water tank size and the loo needing to be useable when the bed is also in use!
The loo is certainly usable when the lower bed is out, just lacking a modicum of privacy.

The loo is certainly usable when the lower bed is out, just lacking a modicum of privacy.

Not sure if they have some different measure of “usable” in NZ. I pointed out it’s just me and the dog and I haven’t gone to the bathroom alone since I got him which didn’t get him to alter the verdict that it’s just approved self contained for 2 people !

Yes ... will be in touch re great locations for 'get aways' out of AKL. I will have to go through the certification process as well. I'm not worried if they just certify for two - that makes sense with the water storage. They really need to tighten up on the 1000's of 'campervans/estates' that are pretending to be self contained....Where did you get your certification done please?

Yes ... will be in touch re great locations for 'get aways' out of AKL. I will have to go through the certification process as well. I'm not worried if they just certify for two - that makes sense with the water storage. They really need to tighten up on the 1000's of 'campervans/estates' that are pretending to be self contained....Where did you get your certification done please?

Hi - it was with Vanco in Papakura.
http://vanco.nz/ I bought the Therford one off of Trademe and it arrived within a day. I am heading to the UK in September and will get a bungee cord for the roof, let me know if you want one bringing back too

Hi - it was with Vanco in Papakura.
http://vanco.nz/ I bought the Therford one off of Trademe and it arrived within a day. I am heading to the UK in September and will get a bungee cord for the roof, let me know if you want one bringing back too
Thanks re the certification info. Actually I would LOVE a bungee cord ...That would be awesome if you don't mind grabbing an extra one. My email: michaelbellnz@+++++.com. thanks

Thanks re the certification info. Actually I would LOVE a bungee cord ...That would be awesome if you don't mind grabbing an extra one. My email: michaelbellnz@+++++.com. thanks

It’s ordered! Will let you know when it’s arrived and I am back in NZ

hi Debra, this is a wild guess but did I meet you at VW Gildtrap in Auckland?

I have the blue and white version of yours and I gave someone a little demo of the van features...

I have the blue and white version of yours and I gave someone a little demo of the van features...

Yes you did! Thanks for the tour. I got Clint a couple of weeks after!

I thought I saw your van a couple of weeks ago coming down from Cliff road in St Heliers! It was a dark rainy night but I couldn’t make out if it was your van or not!

Yes you did! Thanks for the tour. I got Clint a couple of weeks after!

I thought I saw your van a couple of weeks ago coming down from Cliff road in St Heliers! It was a dark rainy night but I couldn’t make out if it was your van or not!

thanks great Debra! welcome to the van life :)

nice colours you have. I met Gareth for a beer lat week and he said you bought a red and white one, hence my hunch!

Yes I life in Mission Bay so could have been me.

Hope your adventures are going well, there is alot to see over here.

cheers
Shane

nice colours you have. I met Gareth for a beer lat week and he said you bought a red and white one, hence my hunch!

cheers
Shane
Hi Shane ... I live in Meadowbank currently ... We have a Cali on order, and hope to have it by the end of Oct ... very excited ....

cheers
Shane
Hi Shane - thought I would say hi - as we live in around the corner in meadowbank, and have a blue and white one coming ... hopefully at will arrive in the late Oct timeframe. (Debra has kindly offered to bring a bungee back from the UK for us). So we should all connect as 'locals'! Hope you are having great adventures. Cheers Michael

Last edited:
Awsome Michael, hi, yes its great over here, perfect for the van. I arrived in May and my first stop was VW. I couldn't do without my van. That's also mine in your picture :)

not sure what a bungee is, do I need one :)?

We should do a locals / meet thing.

cheers
Shane

Awsome Michael, hi, yes its great over here, perfect for the van. I arrived in May and my first stop was VW. I couldn't do without my van. That's also mine in your picture :)

cheers
Shane
Hi ... I may have seen your Van ... as I was in at Giltrap and they took me underneath to see a blue and white one that had been sold! Never got to see it in the light ... but I am sure it's stunning. The bungee is an aftermarket option that the forum tends to recommend. It's a bungee that lives around the outside of the canvas so that when the top is brought down in windy conditions it keeps encouraging the canvas in ... versus risking it getting pinched ....for the grand price of around 10 pounds I thought it worth it. Check out the photo ... from the forum shop.
bungee-bellows-1.jpg

Thanks for that, I've never seen or heard of them. Looks a good idea though.

Hi Debra

May I ask what modifications you had to have done for self containment other than a portable loo?

I have your bungee cord! Just sent you an email. Totally up for a meet up to discuss the finer points of Campervan Life!

Hi ... I may have seen your Van ... as I was in at Giltrap and they took me underneath to see a blue and white one that had been sold! Never got to see it in the light ... but I am sure it's stunning. The bungee is an aftermarket option that the forum tends to recommend. It's a bungee that lives around the outside of the canvas so that when the top is brought down in windy conditions it keeps encouraging the canvas in ... versus risking it getting pinched ....for the grand price of around 10 pounds I thought it worth it. Check out the photo ... from the forum shop.
View attachment 37658
e

cheers
Shane

Sounds like a good idea for a meet up. We should all park our beautiful vans side by side ! I am off in Clint this weekend, I literally can not wait! My friend in the UK just bought a 2013 model and we are presently comparing notes and boring our friends with our sheer joy of having a campervan

Hi Shane - just testing a theory here ... You will notice that Debra and I both seem to come from Japan (have their flag on our picture) - which Cali Admin says is because our service provider is routing via Japan (figure that out). I am with Spark, I assume you are not? Anyway I am trying to get Admin to over ride this ... as my Cali has no wish to be in Japan, it wants to explore NZ, Debra - Can't imagine Clint is happy either!