Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Zealand self-containment certificate - 2014 T5

G

gejl

I saw a post a few years' back about MurrayR looking to certify his California in NZ for 'self-containment', but didn't see anything about whether he got there. Has anyone here done it? From my research, grey and fresh tanks are suitably sized for two people, and including a portable toilet satisfies that size of it. But there was a comment about having to modify the grey water system to allow venting - that's the bit in particular I'm looking for information on.

Hope someone can help!

I saw a post a few years' back about MurrayR looking to certify his California in NZ for 'self-containment', but didn't see anything about whether he got there. Has anyone here done it? From my research, grey and fresh tanks are suitably sized for two people, and including a portable toilet satisfies that size of it. But there was a comment about having to modify the grey water system to allow venting - that's the bit in particular I'm looking for information on.

Hope someone can help!
Our NZ new MY08 4 Motion Cali was Certified by the previous owners and the only thing we can see that's different is a waste pipe hose connector end (garden hose variety) for adding extra length of hose. Just Google NZMCA for self containment requirements. Ours expires in October so guessing we'll look into then. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll probably just give it a try some time. If/when I do get to it, I'll post back any findings!

Our NZ new MY08 4 Motion Cali was Certified by the previous owners and the only thing we can see that's different is a waste pipe hose connector end (garden hose variety) for adding extra length of hose. Just Google NZMCA for self containment requirements. Ours expires in October so guessing we'll look into then. Good luck.
Hi there

Could you please explain how the garden hose is attached to the grey waste pipe on your Cali?

Hi there

Could you please explain how the garden hose is attached to the grey waste pipe on your Cali?
We haven't followed up with extending the Self Containment Cert as we just don't need it. But regarding how the garden hose connection is made; it's just a standard Gardina hose connector that allows another longer section of hose to be connected to reach waste dumps slightly out of reach. Never needed to connect it tho so the extra hose length just sits in a bag ready. The Grey water dumps we've used are drive over/park on top of. (not Black water/sewerage of course). Hope that helps. H

Thanks
We are thinking self containment not required as there isn’t really any room to use a portable potti when bed made up and no shower of course.

Plenty of powered sites with amenities

Calling all NZ California owners....... has anyone found an adapter plug for the electrical 230v inverter plug.... seems to be swiss/italian type fitting....only found one adapter at farmers that converts to 2 pin NZ, but a pain for 3 pin NZ plugs!

We haven't followed up with extending the Self Containment Cert as we just don't need it. But regarding how the garden hose connection is made; it's just a standard Gardina hose connector that allows another longer section of hose to be connected to reach waste dumps slightly out of reach. Never needed to connect it tho so the extra hose length just sits in a bag ready. The Grey water dumps we've used are drive over/park on top of. (not Black water/sewerage of course). Hope that helps. H
Thanks

Is it the 13mm (1/2Inc) or 19 mm (3/4 inch) hose connector
many thanks

We have just had our 2018 4WD California certified self contained for 2 by VanCo in Clevedon, Auckland. Very helpful people. $800 + GST including porta potty and fitting required grey water system modifications. You need to sleep upstairs so as to ensure the toilet is accessible during the night, but only when not staying in camping sites which have toilets. In practice we are unlikely to need to rely on the self containment certificate very often, but its useful if you decide to go somewhere more remote.
Vanco said some of the South Island dealers get the vans they sell certified before sale, but both Auckland dealers we spoke said we had to do it ourselves, and one referred us to a workshop in Hamilton that wanted to charge far more than Vanco.

We have just had our 2018 4WD California certified self contained for 2 by VanCo in Clevedon, Auckland. Very helpful people. $800 + GST including porta potty and fitting required grey water system modifications. You need to sleep upstairs so as to ensure the toilet is accessible during the night, but only when not staying in camping sites which have toilets. In practice we are unlikely to need to rely on the self containment certificate very often, but its useful if you decide to go somewhere more remote.
Vanco said some of the South Island dealers get the vans they sell certified before sale, but both Auckland dealers we spoke said we had to do it ourselves, and one referred us to a workshop in Hamilton that wanted to charge far more than Vanco.
Thanks very much
Sounds good
What grey water system modifications did you get done?

Thanks very much
Sounds good
What grey water system modifications did you get done?
My understanding is that the standard California waste water tank drains directly on to the road near the rear passenger wheel. That means you can’t discharge directly into the waste receptacles in most NZ camp sites. So the modifications move the discharge point to a tap on the passenger side directly under the waste water tank, to which you can attach a hose that discharges directly in to waste water receptacles in camp sites. It’s probably quite easy to do yourself, but you still need someone recognised by NZMCA to issue the self containment certificate. I went to VanCo because they are recognised by NZMCA.

My understanding is that the standard California waste water tank drains directly on to the road near the rear passenger wheel. That means you can’t discharge directly into the waste receptacles in most NZ camp sites. So the modifications move the discharge point to a tap on the passenger side directly under the waste water tank, to which you can attach a hose that discharges directly in to waste water receptacles in camp sites. It’s probably quite easy to do yourself, but you still need someone recognised by NZMCA to issue the self containment certificate. I went to VanCo because they are recognised by NZMCA.

Thanks

We have a 2017 NZ Cali, mostly stay in camp sites for the facilities, love this time of year when parks are so quiet. Parked up at Mount Maunganui beachside Park last week when -1 c . Auxiliary heater on 1 was warm enough!

Off to South Island next week to fish Twizel canals

Thanks

We have a 2017 NZ Cali, mostly stay in camp sites for the facilities, love this time of year when parks are so quiet. Parked up at Mount Maunganui beachside Park last week when -1 c . Auxiliary heater on 1 was warm enough!

Off to South Island next week to fish Twizel canals
Do you leave the heater on overnight? We were in Rotorua last weekend, with similar temps, but were reluctant to leave the heater on fearing carbon monoxide build up.

Do you leave the heater on overnight? We were in Rotorua last weekend, with similar temps, but were reluctant to leave the heater on fearing carbon monoxide build up.
The Heater produces NO Carbon Monoxide within the vehicle. More likely to suffer from Carbon DIOXIDE poisoning from the people within the Vehicle and with inadequate ventilation overnight.
I've used it continuously for 5 days just turning up or down and left on 1 or 2 overnight but with both front windows partly open with Ventilation/Security grills in place.

The biggest source of Carbon Monoxide within the California is the Gas Burners being used without adequate ventilation. The flame should be mainly Blue on all settings.

Hi Peter and all New Zealand Cali owners
Just spent 10 days in Tekapo/Twizel area fishing canals
The auxiliary heater is awesome... just need to avoid keeping right hand doors/ windows open for any length of time to avoid the diesel burnt fumes
Keeps us toasty
Wardrobe works brilliantly using the large packing cubes from katmandhu. Fishing rods go up left hand side of boot
Left water and grey tanks empty on few nights (-7) to avoid burst pipes
Stayed at camp sites to use facilities
Christchurch Top 10 is awesome and Geraldine
Enjoy

I
Hi Peter and all New Zealand Cali owners
Just spent 10 days in Tekapo/Twizel area fishing canals
The auxiliary heater is awesome... just need to avoid keeping right hand doors/ windows open for any length of time to avoid the diesel burnt fumes
Keeps us toasty
Wardrobe works brilliantly using the large packing cubes from katmandhu. Fishing rods go up left hand side of boot
Left water and grey tanks empty on few nights (-7) to avoid burst pipes
Stayed at camp sites to use facilities
Christchurch Top 10 is awesome and Geraldine
Enjoy
Hope you tried the Tekapo hot pools. We've just had a couple of hours soaking away skiing aches and pains. Not sleeping in Cali this trip. But do programme the heater to warm up Van and melt windscreen ice each morning before driving up ski field. An awesome feature.

Hi HugoFar
Yes they are very soothing, although we were fishing and not skiing!

Regarding your previous post about modification of grey water outlet using a Gardena connection.... do you recall which connectors fitted....and how it was done.... I’m guessing 19mm connector directly onto outlet pipe?
Thanks
Simon

I

Hope you tried the Tekapo hot pools. We've just had a couple of hours soaking away skiing aches and pains. Not sleeping in Cali this trip. But do programme the heater to warm up Van and melt windscreen ice each morning before driving up ski field. An awesome feature.
Hi again
Just letting you know about a nz Facebook group of Cali owners
search VW California NZ

Just letting you know we are building a nz Facebook California owners group site
Search VW California NZ on facebook

Hi guys looking for a California in nz please let me know if you have one for dale

Maybe Dale wants a California too? You never know.

Back