Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie basic questions

Stu@rt

Stu@rt

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Couple of silly questions from our 1st night away about using the hob, if that's OK? I assume as well as removing the washing up bowl, you should always raise the glass over the sink too, when using the burners? And another concern I had was about pouring bowling water down the sink, when draining pasta etc. Just my paranoia in trying to keep the van perfect, I ran some cold in the sink before draining. Are the plastic pipes and waste tank OK to pour boiling water down there?

Couple of silly questions from our 1st night away about using the hob, if that's OK? I assume as well as removing the washing up bowl, you should always raise the glass over the sink too, when using the burners? And another concern I had was about pouring bowling water down the sink, when draining pasta etc. Just my paranoia in trying to keep the van perfect, I ran some cold in the sink before draining. Are the plastic pipes and waste tank OK to pour boiling water down there?

- OK - remove washing up bowl and raise lid only if using the burner near to the sink.
- Not OK - to drain pasta directly - I open the cold water tap on high when draining the pasta so that the boiling water mixes with the cold water and then goes down the drain. The plastic fixings and the waste water tank will not like boiling water direct.

enjoy your travels. :thumb

- OK - remove washing up bowl and raise lid only if using the burner near to the sink.
- Not OK - to drain pasta directly - I open the cold water tap on high when draining the pasta so that the boiling water mixes with the cold water and then goes down the drain. The plastic fixings and the waste water tank will not like boiling water direct.

enjoy your travels. :thumb
Great - thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Exactly what we did. In fact - used the RH burner in favour of the left for fear of damaging the fridge lid!

I mostly cook on the left burner, probably because we have a paper towel roll above the sink/right burner. No damage to the fridge lid in two years.
Pasta water - I pour it into the plastic bowl, then either pour into drain when cold or pour it somewhere outside.

Great - thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Exactly what we did. In fact - used the RH burner in favour of the left for fear of damaging the fridge lid!

If you look carefully, there aluminium lip between the hob and the fridge lid that prevents damage to the fridge lid. We mostly use the left side burner.

However we do have a aluminium lid, custom built for us, because of which we can use that area as a useable surface at the same time, protecting the washup bowl from damage.

PXL_20210423_101300736 (1).jpg

Best bet is to leave washing up bowl at home, cant remember ever using it.
We try & avoid pasta water going down the sink if at all possible, it tends to cause smells in the tank & as you will see if you leave it to cool it coats everything in a starchy film.

I presume you have a stainless steel sink in your kitchen at home? If you look under it you will see plastic fittings and pipes. They will take boiling water just the same as the fittings in the California.
Yes, lift the glass lid over the sink if using the hob but there is no danger to the sink bowl if your pots and pans adhere to the measurements detailed in the handbook. We tend to use the burner nearest the sink and almost 7 years on it is still undamaged.

Back