Newbie electrics question(s)

V

VanFan

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Dear All.
When the van is not being used as a camper, should we turn the red electricity switch off?

If this switch is off, does the battery still charge when driving?

I have read that we should charge the van via hook up monthly for 24 hours to optimise the battery. Presumably, the same goal can be achieved by two or 3 shorter charging periods? [we do not have a drive to park on, so 24 hours is quite a long time to trail a lead].

Thanks in advance.

Dear All.
When the van is not being used as a camper, should we turn the red electricity switch off?

I have read that we should charge the van via hook up monthly for 24 hours to optimise the battery. Presumably, the same goal can be achieved by two or 3 shorter charging periods? [we do not have a drive to park on, so 24 hours is quite a long time to trail a lead].

Thanks in advance.
The red switch, AFAIK, just connects the van to the on board 3 PIN etc, and does not effect charging when driving.

It does not need to be off all the time.

The manual actually says 8 hours every month, but if you cannot do 8, then just drive it with max charge on for an hour, or as you say, shorter charges. You are just topping up a battery really.

When charged fully, regardless of plugged in or not, it will just move to float.

Last edited:
Dear All.

Thanks in advance.
The red isolation switch in the Grand California will turn off most 12v consuming items, but not all.
You will still charge the leisure battery when driving even with this switch off.
Do you have solar as that can help a little too.

The red switch, AFAIK, just connects the van to the on board 3 PIN etc, and does not effect charging when driving. Obvs it won't charge from EHU when off.

It does not need to be off all the time.

The manual actually says 8 hours every month, but if you cannot do 8, then just drive it with max charge on for an hour, or as you say, shorter charges. You are just topping up a battery really.

When charged fully, regardless of plugged in or not, it will just move to float.
Thank you! Very helpful. What is ‘float’?

The red isolation switch in the Grand California will turn off most 12v consuming items, but not all.
You will still charge the leisure battery when driving even with this switch off.
Do you have solar as that can help a little too.
Hello. Thank you. No, no solar panel. I’m conscious of the battery situation because we bought ours (22 plate) but it had not been used or driven around and so we just needed a new battery under warranty because it was not holding charge.

Back