Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie Essentials

V

Volky

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just planning what we actually need, now the Cali will be with us in 2 weeks...seems a tracker, spare wheel lock and seat covers are must-haves, as are storage boxes that neatly fit in the boot and a fire extinguisher, but what are the other must-haves? Do we need the starter pack offered for sale on this site? As soon as we get these sorted, I can see if there is money spare for a few of the Brandrup options!

• Informative
Reactions: Kat
Fill in under your avatar what type Cali you get .....SE or Beach .....;)

For me essential things to buy first afther or prior to recieving Cali

Porta potti ( check out topic on here)
Bungee strap for bellows ( check out topic on here)
Seat covers ( check out topic on here)
Matrras covers ( check out topic on here)
Extra hook- up cable 10 or 20 or 2x10
Thermal outer front and side window screen
Extra ventilation thingies ...diffrent options
Matras toppers
Sleepingbags
Cups and plates
Extra storeage thingies ( Brandrup)
Rooftopper

The starterkits cover up a fair amount of this so up to you...

Lots of other things but they can be bought in stages , the first 8 are essential imo.
Then there are lots of personal favours and needs ....
Take it easy on buying , i also bought thing that are useles or witch i found better solutions for ....just go out on a first short trip and write down what you mis out on.

Every trip has other needs , short -long- warm - cold ,....you need to adapt some things....

welcome
there is a danger you buy things you never use, and waste money.
we have sleeping bags but found but found king size bedding duvet better in van
we camp all year but don't own a topper

my advise do not rush and stock the van too quickly --- apply brain prior to purchase van equipment

storage boxes useful

Last edited:
Hi. Picked up my new Cali SE in late August. It's hard to resist the temptation to kit it out with lots of stuff! Essential purchases will, I'm sure, vary from person to person. Apart from basic crockery, cutlery and a couple of pans, for me (dog owner) essential have been:
* seat covers
* floor carpets (Brandrup)
* mattress cover (4-foot fitted sheet does the job perfectly)
* hook-up cable
* Porta potti (for me, not the dog!)
* storage containers to organise the boot and the kitchen unit (I got 6 inexpensive washing up bowls)
* after a bit of detective work, an 'Osprey Airporter' (a large, strong zip-up bag for transporting rucksacks in the hold when flying) into which I can stash a duvet, pillows and fleece blanket
* and, from a review here, a great bit of kit, an over-the-kitchen-unit shelf from Calitop in Germany to keep all those essential bits and bobs (glasses, keys, book, and so on) in one place - the best bit being it that it just slots into place - no drilling of the precious new purchase needed! (http://wildaboutscotland.com/2014/02/26/product-review-vw-california-additional-shelf/)

I hope you enjoy your new Cali as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Completely agree with Meoncoast that it's easy to buy stuff in all the excitement then realise you don't really need it!
Have a couple of trips to establish what are must haves. We have reorganised our set up three times since getting our van in March.
Definitely recommend seat covers and it goes without saying that a corkscrew is essential
Also remember to have a system so that you never leave the van without your key or risk being locked out

Hi,

My best buy was a double down filled sleeping bag called Big Agnes. Packs small and is toasty warm. Just like being in a double bed.

Just planning what we actually need, now the Cali will be with us in 2 weeks...seems a tracker, spare wheel lock and seat covers are must-haves, as are storage boxes that neatly fit in the boot and a fire extinguisher, but what are the other must-haves? Do we need the starter pack offered for sale on this site? As soon as we get these sorted, I can see if there is money spare for a few of the Brandrup options!
Hello Volky,
We have just gone through this process after having given this issue much thought. I agree with the items mentioned in your post. In addition you will obviously be needing :
Mains electric hook up cable along with the adaptor to enable you to charge the leisure batteries at home. We have a 25m one and had to use nearly all of that to reach an electrical outlet recently!
Full Gas cylinder: Not supplied.
Drinking water: 2 x 2 litre Bottles fit nicely into the front door pockets.
Cooking and eating equipment: The good advice that everyone seems to give is to start off with the basics and don't go too mad getting too much stuff. You can add things that you find you need later. We have tried to source quality items that will last and are pleasing to use but take up the minimum space. Example: cutlery. Some camping stuff is lightweight but cheap and very nasty. Unless you intend to cook inside, you will need a camping cooker of some description. We also find that those click top boxes that all supermarkets sell, are essential for keeping basic food stuffs in. Also they don't rattle.
Sleeping: A good nights sleep is essential. Again try before you buy. We found both beds very hard but have now decided that sleeping downstairs is for us on the VW Comfort mattress topped by 50mm of self inflating mattress and then a Zonesleep. We use a 10.5 tog duvet on top. Very comfortable for us but you need to find out what suits you.

If you are like us and have a habit of arriving at campsites in the dark, I would also say that a couple of head torches are also essential.

Micro fibra towels are, in our opinion, also an essential. They are brilliant and take up very little space. They also cheap to buy and dry out very quickly.

Oh and last but not least Blackwoods vintage Gin, Indian tonic and the odd lemon.

Last edited:
Well I have just got mine, and loving every minute
Been sleeping in the garden in it.
Kids think I am mad....probably am, but happy mad!

I am in your situation choosing bling
Can't decide re seat covers,
Think I fancy the German faux leather and alcantara
What do you think

And the home made shelf , somebody made , to go above the drives seats when parked up, and the shelf above the cooker looked great, as when cooking we need somewhere to put stuff, and if you open up the fridge, you can't put it there
Pretty eaisy to make yourself

Great posts, everyone, thanks! We have invested in a double sleeping bag, but will wait to see just how hard the seat bed is before buying a mattress or 3. Re the seat covers, we're going down the Brandrup route but haven't quite decided which set...will use ordinary throws to keep the kids from ruining the originals in the meantime!

I would go with the inka lifestyle better fit and cheaper

You far away from us Volky?
Happy to meet up an swap ideas
And would love to see your van
We are near crewkerne in Somerset
I should have some of my bits by then
Just ordered a fitted carpet!

Calikev, the German ones have alcantara on the seat and eaisy to wipe faux leather, as recommended here. Trouble is I haven't seen them, they look good in the pics

Yes the German ones do but the brandrup are cloth the same as the inka ones the German ones are made by someone else

Jon, don't forget if you do go for the ones from Germany, VIP members get 10% off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inka much better...? Not sure what you mean by German ones :)

And the home made shelf , somebody made , to go above the drives seats when parked up, and the shelf above the cooker looked great, as when cooking we need somewhere to put stuff, and if you open up the fridge, you can't put it there
Pretty eaisy to make yourself
We keep a tray on top of the rridge to put stuff on.
Easy to lift off.
Wait and see what you need is best advice.
Don't forget the corkscrew and bottle opener though ;)

welcome
there is a danger you buy things you never use, and waste money.
we have sleeping bags but found but found king size bedding duvet better in van
we camp all year but don't own a topper
my advise do not rush and stock the van too quickly --- apply brain prior to purchase van equipment
l
Very true!

Wait before you rush out and buy. We have bought so many things that we don't really need . Fire extinguisher is included in Cali SE .

Wait before you rush out and buy. We have bought so many things that we don't really need . Fire extinguisher is included in Cali SE .

We have a 2015 Cali and it didn't come with a fire extinguisher!
We have a fire blanket just in case!!!!