Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie from Melbourne

cgielectrical

cgielectrical

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All, Not a newbie to the T5, but to the forum. Hi everyone :)

I'm from East London, but emigrated to Oz 7 years ago. I exported the van in a container. It had about two inches (50mm) each side clearance with the wing mirrors folded back. Drove in frontwards, and climbed out of the tailgate :)

Last minute, i decided to add a roll of loft insulation at each corner (squeezed it in) as a buffer in case the van edged to one side or the seas were super rough, and I'm so glad i did as i discovered they don't just use cranes (straight up and down lifting), but also super big forklifts which they tilt back. When i got the van here in Oz, there were signs the buffers had done their job as the print from the packaging had to be buffed out of the paintwork! Wish i had some pics for you.

I took out the two sliding single seats and put in a sheet of five ply with a few supports at the front end (lay on the rear seat at the back end) and hey presto, have a full double bed in the back :)

Added a fridge (top loader) on a home made frame with runners under the bed (pulls out) and made a hanging rail under a sort of rear shelf, supported by the top of the seat and steadied by putting the head rests through the shelf, behind the rear seat to hang clothes. Best set up (for my needs) ever!

Will post some pics in time.

So, it's not a California, sorry .... but it feels like one to me :thumb

I sent one back to NZ and put buffers round it at the port before I drove it into the container. It was basically wedged in the container. Same as you, when it came out it clearly had either been tipped sideways or actually been on its side ! Anyhoo, it was fine after a solid machine polish.