Newbie questions please!

GillianC

GillianC

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Having now had the chance to explore my Cali a bit, I have some
questions...apologies if they re a bit daft but I have looked on the forums and in the books for answers but am still flummoxed. Mind you, it doesn't take much!

1. I can't seem to find how the rear window blind works...there looks to be clips which indicate that something should clip into something else but nothing seems to move...I have a bag of curtains but they are for the front and sides.

2. A plastic chopping board came with the van. It was well used and I wondered if it was to fit in a particular space? Can't see anything obvious but any ideas let me know...

3. How do you raise the head of the bed?

Finally any ideas for easy to use small TVs.

Thanks for your help.

Gillian

i can help a little but also newbie and slowing getting to grips with things..
1. with tailgate up simply pull the 'handle' and it will unclip then slide across to the bottom of the window and hook over 'cleat' to hold in place.
2. sounds like left by previous owner??? i have chopping board that sit on top of cutlery draw in the 'lip' and means creates another surface to put things while cooking/ prepping.
3. no sure what you're meaning but if you want to raise the back 'parcel shelf' which become head of bed when bench seat down then think this would be very steep and not helpful to sleep??? if you hook arm from parcel shelf into groove when tailgate up can then see helps with access at the rear...not sure designed to be a raise bedhead? if i've understood you correctly?

small TV- i use iPad and online apps and catch up or netflix if got wifi....or drink and be merry with other campers :)

hope that helps a little- i am sure others can offer more especially on number 3.

enjoy your new van

questions...apologies if they re a bit daft but I have looked on the forums and in the books for answers but am still flummoxed. Mind you, it doesn't take much!

1. I can't seem to find how the rear window blind works...there looks to be clips which indicate that something should clip into something else but nothing seems to move...I have a bag of curtains but they are for the front and sides.

2. A plastic chopping board came with the van. It was well used and I wondered if it was to fit in a particular space? Can't see anything obvious but any ideas let me know...

Thanks for your help.

Gillian
Further the info above, the blind for the tailgate window is put into position when the tailgate is open, the blind pulls from the bottom of the window towards the top and the handle on the blind should have a slot which is held in position by a hook at the top of the window.

Re TV solution, I use one of these.

It receives the TV signal then transmits it on wifi to your tablet, phone or computer. It doesn't need an Internet connection. No wires of antennas needed, takes up no space (I keep it in one of the sun visors).

Thanks for your help.

Gillian
1 & 2 have already been answered.

3. The Rear Parcel shelf or Multiflex has 2 positions.
If in the lowest position, usual, then you need a Foam infill mattress to make up the height difference when the seat is in the bed position. If the Multiflex is in the upper position then you don't need the infill section.
Most people find they need some form of mattress .

Thank you both for your really helpful replies.
I have now managed to close the back blind with a bit of brute force! Your descriptions gave me the confidence to go for it!
The dealer we purchased the van from was worried in case he damaged it...hmmmm. Seems a few things have been damaged
The chopping board had been cut down but didn't seem to fit into anything in particular so it is going in the bin. Good idea about putting one on top of the cutlery drawer though thanks daisyduke.
My knob that controls the central panel also isn't quite right. It is very wobbly and hap hazard. That can be rectified under warranty when my van goes in for service. The dealer said it had been serviced but the oil was filthy so it can go to VW for a check.

Thank you both for your really helpful replies.
I have now managed to close the back blind with a bit of brute force! Your descriptions gave me the confidence to go for it!
The dealer we purchased the van from was worried in case he damaged it...hmmmm. Seems a few things have been damaged
The chopping board had been cut down but didn't seem to fit into anything in particular so it is going in the bin. Good idea about putting one on top of the cutlery drawer though thanks daisyduke.
My knob that controls the central panel also isn't quite right. It is very wobbly and hap hazard. That can be rectified under warranty when my van goes in for service. The dealer said it had been serviced but the oil was filthy so it can go to VW for a check.
The oil goes black in a diesel van in just a few miles.....it shocked me to, but is normal.....doesn't guarantee it has been changed though

Thanks cyclopath. The oil was well below the full level which makes us think that they didn't change it. Also the service book hadn't been stamped although the tick sheet said they had done it. The valet was terrible, well there wasn't one done despite their promises so don't believe anything they say at the moment! Happy to have it serviced in a VW centre when we have some other work done...

The dealer said it had been serviced but the oil was filthy so it can go to VW for a check.

did you buy from a VW dealer or other dealer. I see your van is 2014 check with VW as to it's VW service history

Re TV solution, I use one of these.

It receives the TV signal then transmits it on wifi to your tablet, phone or computer. It doesn't need an Internet connection. No wires of antennas needed, takes up no space (I keep it in one of the sun visors).
Thanks...looks great!

did you buy from a VW dealer or other dealer. I see your van is 2014 check with VW as to it's VW service history
Hi Andy.
It had a VW service at 7000 miles a year ago but we bought it from a dealer who supposedly did their own service. I would rather it had a VW history while it is still within warranty. Currently negotiating with the dealer as there were some other things we aren't happy about!
Love the van though.....definitely the right vehicle!

It had a VW service at 7000 miles a year ago but we bought it from a dealer who supposedly did their own service. I would rather it had a VW history while it is still within warranty.

I would feel the same If they changed the oil you will not know what they put in. For the price of a service you can get it checked over,

I would feel the same If they changed the oil you will not know what they put in. For the price of a service you can get it checked over,
Where do you get yours serviced Andy? I was thinking of Reading or Guildford but Southampton is the same distance. Wouldn't touch the VW van centre in Basingstoke!

I'd be very wary about any non VW garage doing any servicing, VW get very awkward about warranty repairs if they get a sniff that the vehicle has been maintained by a non verified garage. I'd go to VW and have them check and service it, it may pay dividends later on.

I'd be very wary about any non VW garage doing any servicing, VW get very awkward about warranty repairs if they get a sniff that the vehicle has been maintained by a non verified garage. I'd go to VW and have them check and service it, it may pay dividends later on.
Totally agree Calicliff.
Think I will book it in to Breeze Totyon (thanks Meoncoast) to be checked, serviced and have a few extras fitted.

Your van sounds great. I notice you are in Basingstoke. I am headed there next weekend with 3 teens in tow to go indoor skydiving and wanted somewhere I can park up in the Cali for a spot of lunch. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks Zebedee

Your van sounds great. I notice you are in Basingstoke. I am headed there next weekend with 3 teens in tow to go indoor skydiving and wanted somewhere I can park up in the Cali for a spot of lunch. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks Zebedee

Hi Zebedee
The teens will love the indoor skydive! Are you doing it too?
There are a few places to eat in the leisure complex or you could get the bus into town for more choice. The park and ride scheme goes from the car park to the right of the cinema Into the town centre. Festival Place is good for retail therapy. If you need any more info feel free to ask.

I've just had my control panel replaced by VW under warranty for the same reason. My van is only 14 months old, it doesn't seem to be a very robust piece of equipment.

Back