Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie Questions!

robertpr

robertpr

New but committed
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

We picked our brand new Cali up last weekend - we're off our first trip on Monday. I've devoured all the manuals but have some basic (!) questions, mainly due to the manual not being that clear!:

- electric plugs; which plugs work only when hook up attached, which ones work off the leisure batteries and which work only when engine on??
- charging the leisure batteries; Should I charge these for 12 hours before our trip - we're only going 100miles so I'm guessing so. If so, do I need to switch the electric switch in the back cupboard of the Cali to "on" for them to charge with the hook up?
- waste water; possibly a stupid question but where does this drain from when emptied?
- fresh water; is it best to fill this when you get to the site?
- roof box; Am i right in thinking that the roof will go up ok with a roof box on as long as the weight isn't more than 50kilos?

Apologies for the basic questions and thanks for the help!

Oh, one final question, we're planning a long trip in the summer. We're a family of 4. We're going to need a drive away awning. The Outdoor Revolution Oxygen Movelite 2 looks great but I was wondering if it was big enough. We'll probably use it for storage for bikes etc. rather than for sleeping.

Thanks,
RP

All rear sockets work off leasure batterys except the 3 pin domestic type plug which works when hooked up plugs on dash and radio work of normal car battery

Your battery's will be fully charged by the time you get there

We get water when we get to site and carry a couple of litres in a blastic bottle ( for tea on the journey)

PS welcome to the club

Last edited:
As above with andy's answers plus:

Waste water drains just forward of the rear nearside wheel.

As I am often wild or permissive camping with no access to water fill I travel fully loaded but if I was going to a site I would travel empty. I always only drink bottled water and normally stock up with a few 2l bottles before I go. Cups of tea en route and a cup of tea on arrival are essentials to be satisfied with bottled water.

Remember the Continental type Inverter socket will need an adapter , either a continental USB plug for charging or a continental type mains adapter plug. This runs off the leisure battery but has a limited output really only suitable for charging laptops phones etc: if you do not have a 12v car charger for them.

Don't see why one takes off at home having a empty fresh watertank and when arriving on a (camp)site first thing needs to do is have a search for water....?:headbang
First thing to do on site should be open a botlle of wine , or having a beer,...
Leave home with your Cali prept for everything , meaning all systems ready to go !
What if on the road you need to change a flat tyre , washing hands aftherwarts having a empty watertank is gonne be difficult ....
If plans change and the first stop on your trip is not gonne be a campsite...oops no fresh water !:talktothehand
Be prepared no more no less .

As for charging your battery before leaving , about the same thing .
Best to top up your battery every two weeks to a month for at least 12h on hookup.
Keeps the battery in good shape.
When i'm planning to leave on a trip i do plug the hookup in on advance , just becose i always pre- cool the fridge so the last thing for we actually start is take the fresh food out of the fridge inside the house an put it in the van , the leftovers and say butter,milk , cheese ,..everything thats opend goes in the Califridge ...
So pre- cool your Califridge;)
Don't need to switch the mains ON in the back for charging the batteries ( it charges all three , in case you did not knew)
If you want USE electricity thru the hookup it needs to be ON! Otherwise all things just work on the batts , check the icon on your roofdisplay.

There is a sticky tread by myself on the t5 technical part of the forum , try to read it if you don't already did...i holds some usefull overall tips....

We have just changed to the Outdoor Revolution Movelite Oxygen 2 from a larger drive away awning by the same makers. Both are well made, but the new one goes up much, much quicker and although a lot smaller than our previous model, it will definitely suit our needs and would easily store bikes. Really pleased with how it goes up and how much better it attaches to the van, a very good quality awning.

Never had an issue finding water in the UK, not really wanting to carry the extra weight of water round the country. Also not sure how a part filled tank of water would behave sloshing around when driving A couple of 2 litre bottles on route is more than enough for us on a journey.

We have just changed to the Outdoor Revolution Movelite Oxygen 2 from a larger drive away awning by the same makers. Both are well made, but the new one goes up much, much quicker and although a lot smaller than our previous model, it will definitely suit our needs and would easily store bikes. Really pleased with how it goes up and how much better it attaches to the van, a very good quality awning.

Thank you for this info. Do all the windows have covers for nighttime? We might put the portaloo in there if we're wild camping!? Thanks

Thank you everyone!

Really helpful.

Message deleated

Hi

Just bought a ORML2. First trip away next week using it so I can let you know.

We bought it for (a) storing some stuff when we leave the site for the day and (b) sitting in, if raining, after the kids have gone to bed. We didn't want anything too big.

I looked at this, the Outwell Hollywood / San diego and the Vango Kela (I think). Went for the OR product because it has lifetime guarantee on the frame (for what it is worth) and a valve that lets out "over pressure" which I thought might be handy in hotter climates as the air expands.

Cheers
Mark

Hi

Just bought a ORML2. First trip away next week using it so I can let you know.

We bought it for (a) storing some stuff when we leave the site for the day and (b) sitting in, if raining, after the kids have gone to bed. We didn't want anything too big.

I looked at this, the Outwell Hollywood / San diego and the Vango Kela (I think). Went for the OR product because it has lifetime guarantee on the frame (for what it is worth) and a valve that lets out "over pressure" which I thought might be handy in hotter climates as the air expands.

Cheers
Mark

Brilliant! Would love to know how you get on with it. Your usage plan is pretty much the same as ours. Thanks

Hi Rob looks like all your questions are answered by now so just a welcome from me.

Colin

Never had an issue finding water in the UK
Never had an issue finding water in the UK, not really wanting to carry the extra weight of water round the country. Also not sure how a part filled tank of water would behave sloshing around when driving A couple of 2 litre bottles on route is more than enough for us on a journey.

now that i find a bit short minded. , do you realy think that 35 liter of water is gonna change much on the miles/ gallon....on a 3 ton Cali?
As for driving whit a half fiiled tank , that does not affect the stability of the Cali at all , it's not that big tank ....and i never actually "heard "the water moving in the tank while driving

I always go of with a full tank of water , no worry's of finding water , can do few days without any "service" so just take a freeride....

As for driving whit a half fiiled tank , that does not affect the stability of the Cali at all , it's not that big tank ....and i never actually "heard "the water moving in the tank while driving
I worry if the fridge is only half full of beer in case it shifts when I turn a corner, best to keep it topped up. Same with the wine cupboard. :D

:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb to both above posts.

now that i find a bit short minded. , do you realy think that 35 liter of water is gonna change much on the miles/ gallon....on a 3 ton Cali?

I always go of with a full tank of water , no worry's of finding water , can do few days without any "service" so just take a freeride....
Agree with this totally we always fill up before leaving home 30kg makes no difference to performance or stability.
When I get to site I just want to plug in, pop the roof and relax!

Remember the Continental type Inverter socket will need an adapter , either a continental USB plug for charging or a continental type mains adapter plug. This runs off the leisure battery
Note also that while an adaptor is plugged in to the socket, the inverter is switched on and consuming some battery power, whether you have a device plugged on to the adaptor or not. Therefore you may wish to unplug the adaptor whenever it is not in use.

Some may think it an odd habit but we only drink filtered tap water when we are at home, every where else UK and abroad we drink bottled water. We do make coffee and tea with boiled water from the Cali tap.

Yes. Nothing wrong with the Cali water, dependant on it being filled from a clean source. Otherwise boil it or used sterilising tablets, but in Western Europe there should be no need.

Brilliant! Would love to know how you get on with it. Your usage plan is pretty much the same as ours. Thanks

Hi

So we've just returned from our first trip away, and I'm pretty impressed with the Outdoor Revolution Movelite 2. As per the original post, we wanted somewhere to store bikes, etc when we drive away. I've attached two pictures of the awning with bikes etc in it for you to hopefully gauge the size.

Here are some things I discovered whilst away that might be useful.

- Considering I am a complete tent-numptey, the awning is extremely easy to pitch and erect successfully (i.e. all the zips will close, the groundsheet is flat, the canvas is tight...). Even more importantly, it has been easy to pack away; in fact we were able to get it packed tighter that it was when delivered. All good.
- Because it is a light coloured fabric, it actually doesn't make the inside of the campervan feel too dark. Others have reported this as a concern, and I did see a dark coloured Airbeam on site, so I can see how this could be the case, but the OR awning is pretty light an airy.
- We experimented with different ways of connecting the drive-away awning to the van. In the end we settled for using a "Cador strip" with a figure-8 connector, and slotting it into the purpose made channel at the bottom of the fixed, wind-out, awning. There are several ways to connect the tent, and some good posts on this forum, but I found it easier to use a little bit of play that winding the fixed-awning in and out gives.
- Whilst the size of the awning is OK for three bikes, two chairs and a table, is it full at that point. After some trial and error, we'll probably leave the bikes on the rack, and use the awning for storing stuff that we are forever getting out / putting away in cupboards (pots, cups, etc). If you want to store bikes, chairs, etc AND have a living space, the ML2 is too small in my opinion.​

Having the awning slightly changes the "campervan experience" in my view. I quite like the fun of having to contain you needs within the confines and spaces of the van, and so for a weekend away or for particular trips we won't take the tent, however, with kids and kit, and being away for a week plus, having somewhere to dry towels, store stuff, etc I can see the tent being useful.

Overall we're pleased with the ORML2. We saw a large number of OR products on the site we were on, so it looks as though they are having some success.

Hope that is helpful. Happy to answer any other questions you have.

Mark

IMG_7459.jpg

IMG_7460.jpg

Thank you for this info. Do all the windows have covers for nighttime? We might put the portaloo in there if we're wild camping!? Thanks
Yes it does, and it's ideal for the Portapotty.
That awning is terrific and really well made.