Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie What van?

• Thread starter Outofboundsinyorkshire
  • Start date
4Motion
Towbar (if you want to take bikes on a towbar carrier)
Difflock (no point having 4m & no difflock)
Wooden look floor. (Looks great, but if you putting dirty shoes in side, also use a mat from Dunelm)
High beam assist.
Discover media Pro (removes unsightly buttons)
Shower connection
2nd drawer in bench seat (but no, if you need to use skis or want to push a very long thing through into that space?)
4 remote keys (cheap, can get a ghost installed, and then leave one under the van in a locked box) incase you get locked out. Lose a key etc.
Oh thank you. We are about to order and will include most of this !!!

Hi all is the vw topper worth purchasing? Is there a better alternative for both the bottom and top bed? Does anyone know of a good conversion company that does leather trim on calis? Based in Yorkshire possible

Hi all is the vw topper worth purchasing? Is there a better alternative for both the bottom and top bed? Does anyone know of a good conversion company that does leather trim on calis? Based in Yorkshire possible
The seat surgeons in York ?

Bottom bed I use a S2S (sea 2 Summit) self inflating mattress that’s got the corner cut out especially for an Ocean.
Top bed is comfy enough with the supplied mattress.

• 4Motion and diff lock. I have it on a 150HP model with no regrets.
  • All season tires to allow for trips that pass through a region where the conditions are opposite to the dedicated season tires.
  • Trailer hitch for bike carrier (also to get my boat in and out of the lake).
  • The lane change alerts (warning light in the mirror) is good to have.
  • I don't like the analog speedometer display I get with the standard navigator and find myself using Google Maps for navigating. I haven't actually seen one, but I suspect I would be happier if I had splurged for the Discover Media Pro.
  • I regret not ordering the 4 keys.
  • Traffic sign recognition isn't reliable.
  • I turned off the lane assist as it kept annoying me with alerts when I was clearly centered in my lane and am driving more relaxed without it.
  • I don't miss not having the cupboard safe.
  • I'm not happy with the lower mattress topper from VW and will replace it soon.

Non VW options:
  • I'm very happy I had a bearlock installed. I engage it every single time I stop the vehicle, which just wouldn't happen with any other anti-theft device.
  • 200W solar. I've had the cooler on permanently through the heat waves and don't have to worry about plugging it in.
  • Seat covers front and back. I only have the rear seat covered and will soon get covers for the front seats as well (the Brandrup ones that are indistinguishable from the originals).
  • I'm happy with my Kärcher OC3 shower solution. It also comes in handy around the house. it
  • I just ordered the Thais version of tent insulation following a camping trip in the mountains where I stupidly only had a light sleeping bag.
  • I'm close to ordering window bags for the right side rear window for clothing storage; I just haven't decided on the make yet.
  • The 25m large gage cable for external hookup takes up a lot of space and I've only used it once where a 10m cable would have been sufficient. I'll probably make the switch.
  • I have a Thetford 335 potty that is handy for stopovers with no services. I use a toilet bag with absorbent crystals to line it so I might as well have just gotten a smaller foldable potty frame that takes up less storage.

Difflock (no point having 4m & no difflock)
Hi @Californication69 , two separate things there.

I may agree with the statement - "no point in having 4 wheel drive and no diff lock", but not with the statement "4mo and no diff lock")

4 motion is not 4 wheel drive - it is all wheel drive.

With AWD, the advantage is that it gives you more grip on all four corners and with torque vectoring controlled by the onboard computer make the van that much more safer when ground conditions change. In this case, the diff lock does not play any role. A vehicle with AWD is safer than a FWD or a RWD when ground conditions change fast.

A diff lock can get you out of a sticky situation for sure and it does have its benefits.

Extended warranty might be prudent with the diff lock - This post still makes me hyperventilate

Hi @Californication69 , two separate things there.

I may agree with the statement - "no point in having 4 wheel drive and no diff lock", but not with the statement "4mo and no diff lock")

4 motion is not 4 wheel drive - it is all wheel drive.

With AWD, the advantage is that it gives you more grip on all four corners and with torque vectoring controlled by the onboard computer make the van that much more safer when ground conditions change. In this case, the diff lock does not play any role. A vehicle with AWD is safer than a FWD or a RWD when ground conditions change fast.

A diff lock can get you out of a sticky situation for sure and it does have its benefits.
Yes, I concur with what you say.
Had Subaru, AWD, BMW Xdrive, Range Rover Velar, and they all drive or brake wheels differently.
For example the Velar uses 70% rear wheel drive all the time for normal journeys, which gives a lighter front wheel steer feel, but cuts in to 50/50 drive in milliseconds once it detects slippage.
If you’re having the 4M, the diff lock should be chosen as standard choice.
As you can’t have the diff lock on FWD ;)
Obviously if you don’t tick the difflock option you will still have the advantage of 4Motion, whereby it sends power to the other wheels that are not slipping.
Difflock comes into its own if all 4 wheels are slipping, and with TC disabled, can get you out of a slippery hole.
I don’t understand why knowledgable people who don’t know what a Difflock is, don’t choose the option. As somebody who knows why they want a 4M and looking second hand, find so many without the Difflock option…

Extended warranty might be prudent with the diff lock - This post still makes me hyperventilate

Yep, that term, use it or lose it.
If you don’t use it for 6 years, it’s gona be gunked.