Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

vale46

vale46

forum co ordinator
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone my name is Valerie and after losing my husband and retiring this year I have decided to buy a vw California and embark on a new journey. Are there many other single travellers Out there :?: any tips greatly received. Great site by the way.
Thanks vale

Hi Valerie, sounds like an exciting new chapter in your life, congratulations on choosing a California to embark on your new journey. Lots of advice and tips on here, dive in and join the party.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind welcome everybody. I am keeping my eyes glued to the for sale section.
I don't know too much about mechanics would it be worth getting the AA to look over it for me
Before I buy?. I'm not scared about travelling just parting with a large amount of money on a
Van. All comments welcome.
Vale.

Hi Valerie

I'm Jen, another single female who mostly travels alone.

For me, I use a lot of places such as Britstops as sometimes being along in a van at night can be quite a lonely experience. Being able to have dinner or just a drink in a pub or hotel bar makes a big difference to not going stir crazy.

On the continent I use a lot of Aires, same reason, park next to a town, walk in, see new sights, find new places and be surrounded by people.

Otherwise I quite like my own company. I write a lot, both professionally and for simple pleasure, and I see a lot.

I am the most mechanically inept person on the planet. Fortunately my vehicle is still in warranty and still eligible for VW assist otherwise membership of a rescue service is absolutely essential. (In fact I met a very nice man from the highways agency whilst sitting on a crash barrier just before avonmouth bridge on the M5, but that is another story :oops: )....:oops:

Other than that, I feel very safe in the Cali, not just driving it but at night on my own sleeping in it. It is much harder to break into than my own home so why shouldn't I?

Again though, usual rules on where to park up if possible, well lit, near other people etc (says she who was wild camping on the mull of Kintyre earlier).

I actually think a Cali is a brilliant vehicle for a single person, easy to drive, comfortable to sleep in, well appointed and can go anywhere. Enjoy!

Jen

Thanks jen wise words :thumb must get back to my book can't stop reading posts on here :laugh2

A big "welcome" Vale, from one of the forum's newest members. I've found the community on here, and previous posts, so helpful. So many aspects of our purchase has been helped along by this forum. Everyone is very supportive. We're at the closing stages of agreeing a purchase now - it's all very exciting.

Good luck with your adventures :thumb

Thanks for the welcome Acer. :thumb
I have spoken to the mechanic who looks after my car and he has agreed to help me view
A prospective Cali he is good with engines etc but he is not sure about the camping side
Can anybody help with a list of what to look for inside the van
Many thanks in advance
Vale

Might be worth having a look at a new or nearly new one in a showroom so that you can check what a good fit should look like, compared to one that might be a bit tired. A common problem seems to be the flexy light gets broken. When I hired for a while, our vehicle didn't have it and I didn't realise they came with one until I saw it in the showroom vehicle. I'd check the roof bellows for tears, and there the roof corrosion issue, about which there is a very long thread on here.

I'm sure owners will be able to provide a list of 101 other things to check too...