Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newhaven - Dieppe crossing, any feedback?

Hawthorn37

Hawthorn37

Retired, and working hard at it
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We’re due to use the Newhaven - Dieppe DFDS crossing on Friday this week. We booked through Caravan Club, and I had a message a few days ago saying to allow 3 hours prior to the sailing time instead of the normal 1 hour. Also I’ve heard that the disembarkation in France is running very slow from some crossings. Just wondered if anyone has recent experience ? We’re due to dock in France at 11pm, so hoping it will be quieter!?

Also, we have been very used to the pre-Brexit / pre-Covid Channel crossing logistics, but what‘s the new routine in the UK and in France, just so we’re prepared?

Any do’s and don’ts ?

We’re due to use the Newhaven - Dieppe DFDS crossing on Friday this week. We booked through Caravan Club, and I had a message a few days ago saying to allow 3 hours prior to the sailing time instead of the normal 1 hour. Also I’ve heard that the disembarkation in France is running very slow from some crossings. Just wondered if anyone has recent experience ? We’re due to dock in France at 11pm, so hoping it will be quieter!?

Also, we have been very used to the pre-Brexit / pre-Covid Channel crossing logistics, but what‘s the new routine in the UK and in France, just so we’re prepared?

Any do’s and don’ts ?

You either require to have a smartphone with the NHS Covid Pass app, or a printout of the Pass. The printout lasts for 28 days from date of request/printing, although I gather it is rarely checked.

Check the DFDS Twitter feed.

I would say arrive no earlier than 1.5 hrs prior to departure. It’s a small ferry with a huge waiting / parking area so very well managed this side. If you see a queue in the town it will be because the swing bridge is open across the River, or the level crossing is down so will quickly clear.

The Ark pub overlooks the Port on the other side of the river bank, so is a good spot to wait if you arrive too early as you can watch your boat come in. Serves food all day.

There is a Halfords & large Sainsburys just by the port if you forget anything.

Coming off in France always takes a bit of time, Just make sure that you drive on the other side of the road as roads will be empty at that time of night, so might be no one in front to follow!

Check the DFDS Twitter feed.

I would say arrive no earlier than 1.5 hrs prior to departure. It’s a small ferry with a huge waiting / parking area so very well managed this side. If you see a queue in the town it will be because the swing bridge is open across the River, or the level crossing is down so will quickly clear.

The Ark pub overlooks the Port on the other side of the river bank, so is a good spot to wait if you arrive too early as you can watch your boat come in. Serves food all day.

There is a Halfords & large Sainsburys just by the port if you forget anything.

Coming off in France always takes a bit of time, Just make sure that you drive on the other side of the road as roads will be empty at that time of night, so might be no one in front to follow!
Thanks - very informative and I will follow your advice. I’ve just sent a Tweet to @dfdsukupdates to ask about the time to be allowed.

They replied saying to be there at least 90 minutes before, with check-in closing 45 minutes before sailing.

So spot on advice thanks. :thumb

Last edited:
Feedback after completing our crossings …

Newhaven - Dieppe ferry was almost stress free. Return through Dieppe - queue for check in and passport control (2 booths next to one another) was v big. We allowed 90 minutes, it took 75 minutes.

At Dieppe customs around 1 in 5 cars were being inspected (boot open etc) in the queue we were in. That included ours, but when the policeman saw how packed the boot was he either concluded we had no stowaways, or it would take too long to search! The inspections really slowed the queue, but all vehicles made it through.

The ferries were busy, but still manageable. Time to get on the road was - Dieppe overall 35 minutes (20 minutes to get through immigration); Newhaven - 10 minutes.

Food on board is very basic, and the queue was long. We took our own on the return trip.

We will certainly make the same crossing in the future. 4 hours seems a long time, but actually it gives you a good break/ rest.

We just did the same crossing but Dieppe - Newhaven, then NH - Dieppe. Both on a Tuesday evening sailing.

We actually did turn up 3 hours before, but then sat until boarding, but this was mainly due to leaving enough time for traffic to get to each port. Same experience at Dieppe outbound - 2 booths and a quick look into the boot and van. This made disembarkation quick in NH.

For the return into Dieppe we had to queue for about 40 minutes but no inspection. I wonder why they don't do the two-booth thing in NH?
No request for covid passes either side.

We were not sure about the stamping of passports. We are UK citizens with Swiss residency. We got a stamp from the French outbound to UK and also inbound. That was it, CH border control not interested. No idea if we end up in trouble next time as we'll have been in the EU/CH for longer than 90 days by the time we go back! Did ask at the FR customs and showed the residence permits, plus with CH number plates - nobody seemed bothered. I wonder how that tracking works?

We also enjoyed the 4 hour rest on the boat. We took a cabin for a few extra £ and found it worth it to escape to your own zone. Food was basic but OK, and not big portions. The a-la-carte restaurant was not open. Duty free (if you need it) it a tiny store with a limited selection. Tuesday did not seem to be busy on board IMO, I can imagine Friday is.

In Dieppe we stopped at the HotelF1 since it was such a late arrival. Very basic. OK if you just want a quick bed (we did) but otherwise pretty grim (shared showers and WC - we showered on the boat anyway). Aldi just around the corner from F1 to stock up for the next leg. I am sure there are other places to kip, but we had no experience and could not find much on here to help.

A midweek crossing would be ideal, but we were constrained to travelling Friday to France and Sunday 11am back to UK. That said, the queues and volume of vehicles was less than Calais, even on a good day.

We stopped in the Campanile Rouen Sud after the late evening arrival from Newhaven - about an hours drive, arriving close to midnight. Rooms are basic but clean, and bathroom was decent. Breakfast buffet the next morning starts 7am.

On the return trip we chose to stay at Novotel Rouen Sud (next door to the Campanile), which is a slightly better standard, with restaurant, bar and pool, but not maybe worth the additional 40 Euro / night.

Both hotels have a fully gated car park and handy for the autoroute, which was the main reason we went for them, for peace of mind. Other hotels available towards the centre of Rouen, but we couldn’t find secure car parks.

If we do this trip again, we would use the Campanile Sud.

Back