Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Next years holiday

Annik

Annik

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are doing six months around Europe next year leaving the UK in February and we are trying to make plans for this trip for what we might need in Europe in case of any problems when/if we leave the EU

We both have valid passports with long expiry dates and I have also applied for an international driving permit as some of the countries we are travelling to require them and this may be required in all EU countries come March.

Anything else we need to look at?

One thing that does worry us is the pet passport as we will be taking our border collie.

Last edited by a moderator:
How exciting!

You may want to take out travel insurance of course, as even if it survives Brexit the EHIC scheme is only valid in EEA and Switzerland so I assume you'll be wanting emergency healthcare cover for countries you visit outside that.

1. A Schengen visa valid from 29 March 2019 for the duration of your stay...plus visas for any other EU Member States that you visit that don’t accept a visa from the Schengen zone. At present there are no transitional provisions in place or any agreed visa waiver scheme so this could be a reality despite comments to the contrary. In all likelihood it will be OK but I wouldn't want to be booking an expensive European holiday until we know what's happening.

Mrs L needs a Schengen Visa and it's a bureaucratic nightmare that potentially involves employer's references, 3 months bank statements (on-line prints not accepted), pre-booked travel and accommodation, plus a trip to London each time to an outsourced visa centre (e.g. VFS or TLS) that's run by uncommunicative staff that are overloaded with applicants to the extent that you can't get an appointment less than 1 month in advance (and 3 in the summer) so last minute trips to France etc. are out of the question.

2. Breakdown cover as VW Assist may not cover you.

3. Data on your mobile phone as UK network providers are bound to withdraw the costly EU roaming that was forced on them by Brussels, so navigation will not work (or be expensive) if you rely on app connect for map data e.g. if you don't have the full-blown nav with an SD card.

4. Vehicle insurance - the 3rd party min insurance in EU may no longer apply

Plus as you've said, an International driving licence.

Also you won't be able to bring back semi-industrial quantities of alcohol or tobacco.

1. A Schengen visa valid from 29 March 2019 for the duration of your stay...plus visas for any other EU Member States that you visit that don’t accept a visa from the Schengen zone. At present there are no transitional provisions in place or any agreed visa waiver scheme so this could be a reality despite comments to the contrary. In all likelihood it will be OK but I wouldn't want to be booking an expensive European holiday until we know what's happening.

Mrs L needs a Schengen Visa and it's a bureaucratic nightmare that potentially involves employer's references, 3 months bank statements (on-line prints not accepted), pre-booked travel and accommodation, plus a trip to London each time to an outsourced visa centre (e.g. VFS or TLS) that's run by uncommunicative staff that are overloaded with applicants to the extent that you can't get an appointment less than 1 month in advance (and 3 in the summer) so last minute trips to France etc. are out of the question.

3. Data on your mobile phone as UK network providers are bound to withdraw the costly EU roaming that was forced on them by Brussels, so navigation will not work (or be expensive) if you rely on app connect for map data e.g. if you don't have the full-blown nav with an SD card.

Also you won't be able to bring back semi-industrial quantities of alcohol or tobacco.
:Iamsorry But forced to Disagree. It will work both ways. They want us as much as we want them. There will be little or no change to the present arrangements.

Thanks for the replies so far, looks like there is much more we had not considered. I suspect some things we may need to action whilst we are away so they crossover. I hope we don't need to cut it short and come back to UK just a few weeks in :(

There´s a chance you might get Gassed or have your van broken
into whilst you sleep upstairs or someone might wee wee in your cadac
if you leave it out but i don´t think you should worry too much.
7 P´s spring to mind.

They want us as much as we want them.
Disagree. The June 2016 vote suggests we don't want them, but it is likely they would have us if we changed our minds. So they want us more than we want them.

There will be little or no change to the present arrangements.
Agreed - at least in the medium term whatever happens in March next year.

Thanks for the replies so far, looks like there is much more we had not considered. I suspect some things we may need to action whilst we are away so they crossover. I hope we don't need to cut it short and come back to UK just a few weeks in :(
I really do not think you have anything to worry about. We went to EU and non-EU countries and had no problem anywhere (except Andorra). Non-EU countries we visited were Norway, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. The problem we had in Andorra was with mobile roaming charges: £1.80 per MB of data (we managed to get the exorbitant data charges refunded in full).

The pet passport scheme is far wider than the EU. The only EU countries you need worry about with your border collie are Norway, Finland, Ireland, Malta and the UK. They are all free of a certain worm and want to remain free of that worm. Before you enter one of those countries from another EU country which has that bug, you need to get a vet to certify in the pet passport that a worming tablet has been administered 24-120 hours before arriving in that country (not necessary between two of the countries free of the worm).

As an alternative, for entering Norway, you can get a UK vet to certify two dollops of anti-worm 21 to 28 days apart, then enter Norway within 28 days of the second treatment. We did this to avoid the need of a trip to a Swedish vet, then entered Finland direct from Norway avoiding the need of a trip to a vet before entering Finland.

Disagree. The June 2016 vote suggests we don't want them, but it is likely they would have us if we changed our minds. So they want us more than we want them.

Agreed - at least in the medium term whatever happens in March next year.
How you interpret that from the referendum I’ll never understand.

WE DONT WANT TO BE RULED BY AN UN-ELECTED, UN- DEMOCRATIC BODY.

We wish to retain our sovereignty, as it would appear an increasing number of EU states do also.

As far as Tourist travel is concerned and many other links, health/financial/telecoms etc: there will be very little change , if any, for the end user.
And if there is, then we adapt and change as they will also.

I.e. we don't want them.

We wish to retain our sovereignty, as it would appear an increasing number of EU states do also.
After spending 2 weeks in 5 european countries and speaking to quite a lot of people from several nations, they generally just think it is all slightly laughable as it has developed, they certainly didn't seem to idolise it as some kind of thing to repeat. That of course may be a reflection of the kind of people I spoke to.

Either way, there will be ways to travel after and we will find a way.

Last edited:
After spending 2 weeks in 5 european countries and speaking to quite a lot of people from several nations, they generally just think it is all slightly laughable as it has developed, they certainly didn't seem to idolise it as some kind of thing to repeat. That of course may be a reflection of the kind of people I spoke to.

It is easy to generalise but when we were following my late father's campaign trail across Belgium and Holland in the late spring the Dutch in particular, whilst slightly bemused by Brexit were unanimous in their respect/regard for the British people and the discussions of the battles at Arnham and Nijmegen brought tears to not a few eyes.
It is easy to generalise but when we were following my late father's campaign trail across Belgium and Holland in the late spring the Dutch in particular, were unanimous in their respect/regard for the British people and the discussions of the battles at Arnham and Nijmegen brought tears to not a few eyes

Last edited by a moderator:
It is easy to generalise but when we were following my late father's campaign trail across Belgium and Holland in the late spring the Dutch in particular, were unanimous in their respect/regard for the British people and the discussions of the battles at Arnham and Nijmegen brought tears to not a few eyes

I also found the same in places I’ve been, such as in Ypres recently and across Normandy too. I found almost every visit quite profound and emotional indeed it reminded me of the shared sacrifices of all.

There is a difference between finding a process laughable and a country after all. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Incorrect interpretation. I don’t want Brussels, I do want Europe. But then you wouldn’t understand the difference.:headbang
Then if my understanding of your vote is correct, you voted incorrectly. The 2016 vote was to remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union. Nothing about wanting or not wanting Brussels.

What now seems a possible outcome is that we will be bound by many of the rules proposed by the European Commission and ratified by the European Parliament without having a say in those proposals or vote in their ratification: a vassal state.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Then if my understanding of your vote is correct, you voted incorrectly. The 2016 vote was to remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union. Nothing about wanting or not wanting Brussels.

What now seems a possible outcome is that we will be bound by many of the rules proposed by the European Commission and ratified by the European Parliament without having a say in those proposals or vote in their ratification: a vassal state.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
We’ll see.
It’s not over until the fat lady sings.

And I didn’t vote incorrectly given the Options, and am prepared to accept the Democratic outcome. Unlike some.

Spent 5 fabulous weeks touring down Balkans to Greece and back - found Albania and Macedonia exciting and very different. If you plan to go to these countries, and Montenegro take an old fashioned insurance green card (insurers dont normally issue them so you will need to insist) - otherwise they make you buy third party cover on the border

Did anyone mention taking loads of beer to drink?

We are doing six months around Europe next year leaving the UK in February and we are trying to make plans for this trip for what we might need in Europe in case of any problems when/if we leave the EU

We both have valid passports with long expiry dates and I have also applied for an international driving permit as some of the countries we are travelling to require them and this may be required in all EU countries come March.

Anything else we need to look at?

One thing that does worry us is the pet passport as we will be taking our border collie.
I go for long trips abroad too. If there is a problem with documentation I just park up until it’s solved.

If you want breakdown cover try ADAC it's based in German and covers you not the vehicle, so you can drive any vehicle. You can't buy online but have to phone ADAC in German, with good English speaking staff. I pay €89 a year and covers all of Europe including countries that uk based insurers won't cover for example Romania and Bulgaria. If you breakdown in the uk, it's the AA that recover you
Hope that helps

I go for long trips abroad too. If there is a problem with documentation I just park up until it’s solved.
I'd make sure you're covered on your household insurance, you may have to change insurers to cover being away so long. I was in Bulgaria a few years ago for 6 months renovating a property, and had to prove my income was sufficient and get an ID card through the local police