Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Night time heater: Anyone attempted to replace bearings?

craigt

craigt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The expert 'valeter' ran the aux heater for an extended period of time and the bearings have dried out. It still functions but the dry bearing sound makes for the cold night use a non event. Has anyone attempted to replace the complete fan unit I'd expect to cost c£400+ (which i believe is below the driver seat) or removed the fan unit and replaced the bearings: which i assume will be around £4. thanks

Not needed to get at heater as yet. Access from under would need a pit or ramp ideally.

Costing replacement parts can done here

You Tube has DIY heater repairs.

The expert 'valeter' ran the aux heater for an extended period of time and the bearings have dried out. It still functions but the dry bearing sound makes for the cold night use a non event. Has anyone attempted to replace the complete fan unit I'd expect to cost c£400+ (which i believe is below the driver seat) or removed the fan unit and replaced the bearings: which i assume will be around £4. thanks
I’ve run mine in excess of 5 days continuously and the bearings didn’t dry out.
Are you sure it’s the bearings making a noise?

I’ve run mine in excess of 5 days continuously and the bearings didn’t dry out.
Are you sure it’s the bearings making a noise?
I’m pretty sure it’s the bearings. When powering down the fan stops very quickly. Unsure if it has carbon brushes but the grinding scraping noise is certainly synonymous with what I’d associate with worn out brushes on a commutator or bearings on their way out. I’ll report back if I tackle myself. (Or if I chicken out and take to dealers :) )

I’m pretty sure it’s the bearings. When powering down the fan stops very quickly. Unsure if it has carbon brushes but the grinding scraping noise is certainly synonymous with what I’d associate with worn out brushes on a commutator or bearings on their way out. I’ll report back if I tackle myself. (Or if I chicken out and take to dealers :) )
A VW Dealership is unlikely to repair it, only replace it. Best bet would be an Eberspacher Dealer.

This Guy does lots on Heaters.

Fixed a noisy one.

Another full strip down -- Motor about 15mins in.

New motor might be a better option as brushes & commutator all new.

Last edited:
Possible repair or parts source if Eberspacher

Guide as to assembly prices and part numbers.

I've had a heater repaired under warranty by H Bowers and the service was excellent.

Removal of the heater is not too difficult if you are reasonably DIY proficient and agile, I manage to work under my van with one side raised on the kerb and the other on levelling ramps.
If you care to drop me a PM I can send you a copy of the part of the vehicle manual relating to removal, dismantling, repairing and replacing both types of air heater fitted to later T5s.

Grinding scrapping noise sounds like something or debris in the fan, it happens….
Replacing the bearings can be done, have done it but usually ends in failure as the plastic fan is very difficult to remove and can shatter, its not available as a spare.

Before jumping to conclusions check or someone to check, remove the intake ducting, if nothing to see use a pencil to rotate the fan.

its very rare the bearings fail, back in the day I have fitted 100+ Eberspächer and only seen one with noisy bearings, which was due to the intake pointing forward (not by me) moisture distroyed the bearings.

I have Eber DW3 engine heater from my T4 sitting on my bench with noisy bearings due to the exhaust pipe was not sealed, the poorly sealed intake housing allowed exhaust gas to blast the end of the motor. A common problem on the DW3, I can’t get the fan off oiled the bearings it’s a bit quieter although I wont’ hear it as the engine has to be running for the heater to fire up below 4˚c

I've had a heater repaired under warranty by H Bowers and the service was excellent.

Removal of the heater is not too difficult if you are reasonably DIY proficient and agile, I manage to work under my van with one side raised on the kerb and the other on levelling ramps.
If you care to drop me a PM I can send you a copy of the part of the vehicle manual relating to removal, dismantling, repairing and replacing both types of air heater fitted to later T5s.
Could you share it with me as well please? Thank you!

Back