Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No-deal Brxeit warning for UK drivers

Actually it started on the 1st January 1973 when Ted Heath, a politician took us into the Common Market. However best not go there!

Actually it all started in the sixth century when that St Augustine came over here and converted the Anglo Saxons to Christianity and in so doing and without a popular vote subordinated our kings and courts to the papacy in Rome and we had to live with that (although most of us were just shovelling dung every day and didn't really notice) until in 1534 that diamond geezer Henry declared a no-deal Brexit with no need for a referendum and far from paying millions in a divorce settlement to the Europeans he nationalised all their assets over here. And the people loved all that and we've been harking back to it ever since and wanting to go back to the sixteenth century when men were men and we could trade with whoever we liked and start building an empire and also avoid getting slaughtered in our millions in the Thirty Years War.

However best not to go there.

:upsidedown

It's called democracy and difficult by some people to accept decisions that do not go their way. But lets not go there.

That’s only if you think democracy is about 51% bullying the 49% into their 51% way (and after the next elections the other way around) and sensible compromise and respect for minorities have no place in a democracy.

But let’s not go there ;-D

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:
That’s only if you think democracy is about 51% bullying the 49% into their 51% way (and after the next electipns the other way around) and sensible compromise and respect for minorities have no place in a democracy.

But let’s not go there ;-D

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

51% v 49% !? More like 17% v 17% v 17% v 49%.

Or is it best not to go there?

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

[OFF TOPIC]
Sorry guys, I am a bit of a tease. My family and friends hate me! But a good tease always has a bit of inconvenient truth in it, or it isn't a a good tease.
I wil stop here. :cheers
[/OFF TOPIC]

[ON TOPIC]
Just get yourselves a green card and an international driving license. It doesn't cost much.
And a bit of patience when boarding a ferry to the continent (which you call 'Europe' o_O) or back. Brew yourselves a coffee in your Cali while in the queue, what with this wonderful car of ours! Then we'll all be fine!
[/ON TOPIC]

Last edited:
Can't understand what everyone's worried about. There was life before the EU. Stop fretting. I'm sure we will still be allowed to go to France.

Brrrr Brrrr…. Brrrr Brrrrr
'Hello Acme Insurance, how may I help you?'
'Erm.. Yes, I have an insurance policy for my VW California with you and I need a Green card.'
'OK, what is your policy number or vehicle registration?'
'ABC 123.'
'Yes I've got that, please confirm your address.'
'123 the high street, Anytown.
'Thank, you the Green card will be in the post later today, is there anything else I can help you with?.
'No thanks you.'
'Have a nice day.'
Click brrr

Simples!

This guidance about road traffic accidents in the event of a no-deal Brexit looks worrying: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Instead, UK residents involved in a road accident may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This may involve bringing the claim in the local language.

In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UK residents may not receive compensation if there is no EU Exit deal. This will vary from country to country.

Sounds like it could be a bit of a nightmare, not to mention expensive, if you have an accident and particularly if the driver is uninsured. Wondering if anyone has discussed it with their insurance company or can give any clarification?

Flying banana are you referring to my post as scaremongering or the government's advice?

It’s not scaremongering at all: it will be the situation unless there’s an agreement otherwise (hence use of the word may) or unless there’s a deal.

However, I’m not why the advice refers to “UK Residents” when surely it has to do with vehicles insured in the UK?

Hi,
I have just received this from our company insurers.

"Please be aware that any UK motorists who travel between Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland and mainland Europe are likely to need a Green Card as proof of insurance if the period of travel is after or not completed by 29 March 2019. In addition, International Drivers Licences may need to be obtained. Motorists should disregard the May 2018 agreement between the relevant European insurance authorities that was made to waive the need for Green Cards in the event of a no-deal Brexit. The deal has not been confirmed by the European Commission so the industry is planning on the basis of Green Cards being required.

Drivers are advised to contact their insurer or broker at least a month before travelling, in order to arrange a Green Card. If this amount of notice is not possible, 10 working days should be allowed as a bare minimum.

Information required by insurers includes (but might not be limited to) the following
· Period of travel
· Countries being visited
· Vehicle make, model and registration
· Names of all drivers
· If towing a trailer or caravan, the make and model will be needed, plus any serial number.

If drivers have unique circumstances that might mean they need a Green Card ahead of 29 March 2019 they should contact their insurer or broker as soon as possible.

International drivers licences will be available from Post Offices at a cost of GBP 5.50 and you will need to have a passport photo and provide relevant data"

Bit of a faff but no issues as long as you remember.

Flying banana are you referring to my post as scaremongering or the government's advice?
not you.the government and the bbc . everything will be fine, we will still be allowed into Europe to camp.

Here is a nice graph of all the "totally unrelated" negative things that have been occurring against the timeline of Brexit ;)

Please note its just a joke. ;)

New Picture.jpg

We are heading into Europe in the 27th March, coming back on the 3rd April. I called Adrian Flux to get the green card as we have our insurance through them, and they are not issuing them until they know whether it is needed on the 29th. Not much help for those of us that are away at that time. They have sent me a letter to print and take instead confirming that it is insured. Might call them back again in a week or so as it doesn’t quite sit right with me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, as far as I understand it, we will have a deal if the government abide by the non-binding vote tonight. Thus we will have a transition period, which is due to end on 31 December 2020, and the UK's relationship with the EU will stay largely the same during that period.

Hence travel to/from the EU should remain as it is for the next 20 months ie no green cards or IDPs.

Right, as far as I understand it, we will have a deal if the government abide by the non-binding vote tonight. Thus we will have a transition period, which is due to end on 31 December 2020, and the UK's relationship with the EU will stay largely the same during that period.

Hence travel to/from the EU should remain as it is for the next 20 months ie no green cards or IDPs.
And what Deal is that?
As far as I am aware the only Deal that the EU was prepared to offer was rejected yesterday evening.

Personally, I hope the Commons now votes for a delay of Article 50 and for the EU to reject that request. At least we then get “ Clarity “, we’ll be Out on the 29th.

And what Deal is that?
As far as I am aware the only Deal that the EU was prepared to offer was rejected yesterday evening

Yes exactly but my original post and my last one were informative posts to members of this forum about the effects of Breixt on driving in the EU. They were not intended to be prompts for members to voice their political aspirations and I have refrained from doing so. Sadly, there are other posts on this forum where you can do that. Please keep this one as I intended.

Yes exactly but my original post and my last one were informative posts to members of this forum about the effects of Breixt on driving in the EU. They were not intended to be prompts for members to voice their political aspirations and I have refrained from doing so. Sadly, there are other posts on this forum where you can do that. Please keep this one as I intended.
And as I said., What Deal are you referring to? There isn’t one at present.
Doesn’t matter what MPs want. They have rejected the only EU agreed Deal.

And as I said., What Deal are you referring to? There isn’t one at present.
Doesn’t matter what MPs want. They have rejected the only EU agreed Deal.

Thus members may like to bear in mind that the possibility may arrive in 20 months time that there is no deal and you’ll then need a green card and IDP etc. Meanwhile it seems the status quo is maintained as far as enjoying your trips to the other EU member states are concerned.

I’ve just been watching the debate and I must say that I’m at a loss as to how you’ve come to your conclusions. Nothing I’ve seen suggests that it will be that simple.

As far as I am aware the only Deal that the EU was prepared to offer was rejected yesterday evening.
The only deal that the EU could offer, based on May's self-imposed red lines

Back