Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No longer a beginner!

Gez B

Gez B

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
After reading the forum since I bought my beach I thought Why do people need to worry about how much kit they take,after all it's a big van. So after waiting until now to do our first overnight trip we filled the van with everything we thought we needed to survive one night. I had enough clothes for a week and so did my wife. Food to last a week and a box of things we thought we needed. The van was packed and off we went. The van was fantastic, and we slept on our new zone sleep mattress topper. Parking heater great in this weather. New fridge brilliant.
But after moving one box after another to find something, we realised that we were complete novices when it came to packing for camping in a California. A valuable lesson learnt.
My beach has now been camping in a muddy field got totally filthy and proved to me what an amazing vehicle it is. From comfortable ride to somewhere to stay. I love it.
The only problem is getting the packing right.

image.jpeg
Our first night champagne and strawberries

image.jpeg
Breakfast with the California border

I know it was only one night but I no longer a beginner. Here's to the next trip.

Great pictures. Champagne and strawberries hey we had beans and sausages and a can of Diet Coke. Enjoy your next adventure

Absolutely Brilliant! Champagne! People after my own heart.....

After reading the forum since I bought my beach I thought Why do people need to worry about how much kit they take,after all it's a big van. So after waiting until now to do our first overnight trip we filled the van with everything we thought we needed to survive one night. I had enough clothes for a week and so did my wife. Food to last a week and a box of things we thought we needed. The van was packed and off we went. The van was fantastic, and we slept on our new zone sleep mattress topper. Parking heater great in this weather. New fridge brilliant.
But after moving one box after another to find something, we realised that we were complete novices when it came to packing for camping in a California. A valuable lesson learnt.
My beach has now been camping in a muddy field got totally filthy and proved to me what an amazing vehicle it is. From comfortable ride to somewhere to stay. I love it.
The only problem is getting the packing right.

View attachment 19581
Our first night champagne and strawberries

View attachment 19582
Breakfast with the California border

I know it was only one night but I no longer a beginner. Here's to the next trip.

Loving the champagne and strawberries. What a way to christen your California!!

Packing is key to easy living in the confined space of the van. It does take a bit of planning and experience. But one rule I have is to try and take only enough things that could fit under the seats when the bed is down. I tend to use soft bags so things can be crushed into a space or under the bed.

I keep my pillows and bedding in the wardrobe, clothes in softbags in the boot. Toys and equipment in the lower boot. Food in the left cupboard and fridge. Saucepans and plates etc in right hand cupboard. When we go for longer breaks and need more stuff we take a cheap pop up tent to keep extra things in overnight that get in the way such as child seats, toys etc.

Anyway. It will all figure out as you go away more often. There is no right or wrong really.

Just have tons of fun!!!

Great sutff , it takes a few trips to put everything essential needed on the Cali .
Some things i bought in the beginning only survived one trip.
The essentials stay in at all time and i add stuff depending the trips destination/season

I am still after 6 month ownership amazed of how much stuff there is left when thebad is made. Bascically all our clothing needs to be on the left seat.
We have have the room under the multiflexboard for food/camping stuff as well as the fridge so living area is a little cramped at nights.

Back