Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No Mattress Topper...No Problem

sensisuperstar

sensisuperstar

Wibble
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
This is a post for fellow beginners who like me have probably seen many posts on here about folk buying different mattress toppers for the lower bed. As we don’t have a topper, duvalay, zonesleep or any other extra, I was worried about how well we would sleep on our first camping trip.

I am though happy to report that not only is the lower bed comfortable without a topper, we all thought it was more comfortable than the roof bed. We’ve gone away since and it wasn’t a fluke, it’s still comfortable.

Essentially, if you’ve ever spent a night in a tent, by comparison the Cali is like the Ritz!

This is a post for fellow beginners who like me have probably seen many posts on here about folk buying different mattress toppers for the lower bed. As we don’t have a topper, duvalay, zonesleep or any other extra, I was worried about how well we would sleep on our first camping trip.

I am though happy to report that not only is the lower bed comfortable without a topper, we all thought it was more comfortable than the roof bed. We’ve gone away since and it wasn’t a fluke, it’s still comfortable.

Essentially, if you’ve ever spent a night in a tent, by comparison the Cali is like the Ritz!

Have you tried taking the top mattress down and using it on top of the bottom bed ? We have, its fits and its comfy, saving lots of space too :)

Have you tried taking the top mattress down and using it on top of the bottom bed ? We have, its fits and its comfy, saving lots of space too :)

Good tip, but I don’t think that would be fair on the kids using the roof bed ;)

I think the Beach 3 seat is very uncomfortable as it is designed to be a car first and a bed second.. The ocean/2 seat beach are the same bed and designed to be a bed too.

a cheap 3/4 (small double) topper from Dunelm makes an amazing difference for £25!!! Up or down, and packs to fit easily in boot...

Good tip, but I don’t think that would be fair on the kids using the roof bed ;)

Kids...... what are those ? ;)

Only if the weather is exceptionally inclement do we not sleep 'upstairs', but when we do have reason to sleep on the lower deck through rough conditions or to be 'under the radar' in stealth mode, we have found using the upper deck mattress on the lower bed quite adequate :) . We are contemplating buying the better replacement for upstairs from the club shop and keeping the original upper mattress rolled up tightly with the other bedding on the top of the rear shelf which will mean we don't have to raise the roof in inclement conditions to get the upper mattress down. Living in Scotland and wanting to visit the highlands during the winter months there will often be times we would keep away from raisin the roof.

As you say, worth trying without a topper to see how you get on. Or moving the upstairs mattress down.
Personally, my poor old bones and back wouldn't be able to move the next day without some sort of topper!
At last I have found what works for me (VW Comfort mattress supplied with van) + Dunelm teddy bear topper all encased in a £3.99 stretchy jersey sheet from Lidl. Folds up on the back shelf and a good nights sleep guaranteed :thumb

we have found using the upper deck mattress on the lower bed quite adequate :) .

How easy is it to get the upstairs mattress down? Or more importantly, to get it back up again?

It's fairly easy but surely not something I'd want to do everytime we stop to camp somewhere. Maybe if you camp in the same spot for a week, but if you move around every 2-3 days or so, it seems like a hassle to me. Then again, I prefer to keep the packing and unpacking to a minimum. Its subjective I guess.

That's ok - I'd only do it in an emergency. We always sleep up top, but once in a while it's very windy or stormy & we have to put the roof down. We'd like to leave the back shelf/bed cushions at home to get more storage space, so if it's possible to use the top mattress on the lower bed in a storm, that's great.
Thanks!

Back