Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No more petrol Cali's...?

hewittd

hewittd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Over the last few weeks we've been configuring a new Beach using the German configurator. We wanted to sell our diesel T5.1 and get a petrol T6 as there are more and more issues with diesel cars, especially in Germany. Cities have already been allowed to introduce bans on diesel engined cars.

Then today, the petrol engines have all disappeared from the German site. I spoke to a nice man at VW who explained that indeed, it's unlikely that there will be a petrol engined T6 offered in the future - maybe with the T7...whenever that arrives.

Wow...looks like we'll be hanging onto our T5 for a bit longer.

Over the last few weeks we've been configuring a new Beach using the German configurator. We wanted to sell our diesel T5.1 and get a petrol T6 as there are more and more issues with diesel cars, especially in Germany. Cities have already been allowed to introduce bans on diesel engined cars.

Then today, the petrol engines have all disappeared from the German site. I spoke to a nice man at VW who explained that indeed, it's unlikely that there will be a petrol engined T6 offered in the future - maybe with the T7...whenever that arrives.

Wow...looks like we'll be hanging onto our T5 for a bit longer.
Well there was a report that CO2 levels were rising as people turned away from Diesels and Petrol produces more CO2 as do Electric.
All thanks to the Government and Cities taking snap decisions without thinking it through.

Law of Unintended Consequences rearing it’s head.

So I wonder how dangerous a rise in CO2 is compared to a rise in N2O?

All thanks to the Government and Cities taking snap decisions without thinking it through.

Agree. When new evidence emerges or more likely the consensus of existing evidence shifts, of course policy should be reviewed. But in a measured way and with plenty of consultation and warning about how things will change.

Good (well, bad!) example is the ill-considered and rushed decision to scrap MOT tests for 40+ year old vehicles. Announced out of the blue in Sep last year, takes effect in May. But now chaos... police and insurance companies saying they'll still require 'proof' of roadworthiness. Lack of consultation and basic thinking-through of changes in the law, and for no pressing reason (other than current government's obsession with being seen to "cut red tape").

Sorry, off topic I know. I'll call myself out for that.
:offtopic

Yes VW has decided to stop the TSI model, my guess is that is not able to meet future environmental demands with that engine.

That said I think it is a pity that the so many rumours on banning diesel engines are around.

It is a fact that Diesel (and Petrol) engines are on the way out. It will most likely be banned in the future.

The question is how fast?

Some German cities have occasionally had trouble with smog. Therefore the German government made it possible for selected cities to ban certain diesel cars. And only in periods with documented problems. That is, in other words, a (very) limited ban. Affecting few cities, limited periods, selected areas in the city and does apply only to older cars. In Hamburg, it is only 2.3 km road that will be affected!

The focus is mainly towards lorries and trucks on norm EU4. And not EU5 or EU6.

Similar bans are already present in other cities. I.e. Rome where you are only allowed to enter specified areas within a timeframe or if you live in the area. Copenhagen where lorries are abandoned in selected areas at certain times. It is illegal to have your engine running for more than 3 min. (Despite Diesel or Petrol) if you are parking. There are many restrictions. This one is just another – and a natural step towards extinction of Fossil.

But how long does it take?

I read an article about the Tesla. According to that, the pollution of the batteries equals the driving with diesel for eight (8) years. And just producing electricity is not that clean and simple as we hope for (yet). On top of that, we do not have the capacity to produce enough electricity if we all go electric next year - or even within 10 years for that matter.

No country can afford that their infrastructure suffers, and historically it takes a long time to change things - creating an alternative sustainable solution. Unfortunately, a huge amount of our transportation is based on Diesel engines, and we need a reasonable time (with many economic interests involved) to get away from Diesel. It is a huge task … and not made tomorrow just because you can buy an electric car or some part of a road is limited to EU6 cars.

I am not a huge fan of fossils an have great concern about our environment - i.e. the use of plastic (or the lack of recycling) is devastating. So I look really forward to a more sustainable way to get around. But if I look at it, it will take a long long time (many years) before your EU6 California is banned off the streets. It will probably be worn out before it is banned. And who knows if there will be a marked for converting from fossil to alternative formats?

If I get banned (or more likely) have to pay a toll to drive into certain cities I can live with that. I always try to avoid driving around in big cities anyway. Thats just a weak argument, but I think it is the greatest impact I will meet in the near future.

In other words: I will welcome the next generation of hybrids, but not hesitate to get a brand new Diesel today!

Article (in German): http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/...laene-in-hamburg-und-stuttgart-a-1195696.html

Article (in Danish): https://blog.bilbasen.dk/dieselbiler-forbudt-i-tyskland-19751

BTW: Here is another article you might find interesting – about the challenges with the production of electric cars.

All aspects do not often come into consideration when we talk about future sources of energy and the exclusion of fossils. There is still a long long way to go before we have a really sustainable energy solution.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/

For a lack of any alternatives, we'll be selling our diesel beach and buying either another Diesel VW Beach or Diesel MB Marco Polo. The only reason being to try an maintain some financial value that we have in the car, then hopefully in 2 or 3 years when we want to trade again the engine situation will be a bit clearer.

Fingers crossed...

Back