Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No wild camping anymore in eastern Iceland

It's already forbidden for a couple of years.. I was there first in 2005, back then it was still allowed, even with a tent.
Our plan was always to use campsites, where possible from iceland camping card. Not always the nicest locations, but we get enough nice locations to pass everyday.

A lot of campers haven't got the message yet! Been here for the past week (not camping) and seen plenty of wild overnighting all over the island.

If it's still legal for a little while, and people don't leave anything at all behind, don't go offroad, not too close to campsites and towns, not damaging vegetation, not bothering anyone, then why not.
We're there in august; we have a Porta Potti, so will enjoy this privilege one last time in between campsite stays. Nothing beats camping wild - though I do understand not everyone respects the rules so much.

This might have something to do with Iceland's recent aversion to wild campers... spotted in a rural location today, didn't look like a joke either.

IMG_20170705_105551383.jpg

I find that some travelling folk in the UK often will go wherever they can, seems to be cultural thing for some not to use the loos in their caravans (well if you have to live in there I can understand why), seen a guy pooping on a neighbours lawn once. I guess though if you need to go you need to go but it is pretty disrespectful to the person whose land it is, but in the wilds I guess there aren't many alternatives?

Back