Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Noisy AC Fan

M

MurrayR

My 2007 Cali has developed a annoying noise which sounds to me like the fan bearings have run dry. The noise disappeared within 5km of our local VW agent and reappeared two days later. They removed the fan and checked its operation. The agent said he would replace the fan for NZ$900.00.
So far I have put up with it.
Has anyone had experience with this issue before? Could it be something other than the Fan?

My 2007 Cali has developed a annoying noise which sounds to me like the fan bearings have run dry. The noise disappeared within 5km of our local VW agent and reappeared two days later. They removed the fan and checked its operation. The agent said he would replace the fan for NZ$900.00.
Has anyone had experience with this issue before? Could it be something other than the Fan?
Dried leaf debris? Something in the ducts.

You could just try this.
When you get the noise.
Fan full speed.
Dash vents closed. Select Face vents. Open 1 vent whilst all others are closed. Repeat with each vent.

Had something similar on our 2005 Caravelle. The fan is easy to remove being a single module that slides out - just lots of screws.
The shaft on the fan had lots of lateral movement, so was knackered.
Got a new replacement off fleabay, sent from Germany - mistake! LHD all opposite fitting and spin direction....
Dismantled and put new motor in old housing, with old fan blades (yep, they are different too) reverse polarity and fixed.
With the right part it would have been a 30-min job. Fan cost about £40.

Thanks Stoneybroke. Can you point me in the direction of the fan that slides out? Where do I access it?

Take off passenger lower trim panel - steps..
Screws may be torx head
1. Prise off passenger side end cover (exposed when door open)
2. Undo screw exposed after taking off end panel
3. Prise off small trim panel just under vent to expose more screws
4. Unscrew all you can see to remove lower facial
You will then see the blower housed underneath
Seven screws to release after disconnecting electrics.
Blower housing then slides out.

My 2017 Ocean has developed this noise. I had it down as a bit of leaf debris stuck somewhere in the system.

I tried a quick blast of 'full' air but will try the sequence described above to clear it.

Has anyone with a newer van had this problem? It seems an odd time of year for leaf debris to be causing problems.

My 2017 Ocean has developed this noise. I had it down as a bit of leaf debris stuck somewhere in the system.

I tried a quick blast of 'full' air but will try the sequence described above to clear it.

Has anyone with a newer van had this problem? It seems an odd time of year for leaf debris to be causing problems.
With a 2017 T6, if there's a noise that you can't locate I would leave it to the dealer. My DIY deconstruction/repair was on a 2005 model which was well out of warranty...

I think the 'close all vents then open one at a time' trick has worked. I may just have budged it and it may start again tomorrow, but all quiet this afternoon.