Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nokian Weatherproof 235/55 R17 103V XL

W

weeve

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Anyone tried them? As good or better than the Goodyear 4 Seasons whcih I can only find in 103H not 103V Generation 2. Have to choose something this week...

I have had them on my hatchback for about 4 months now. My commute is all B roads, hills, hairpins etc and wanted all season tyres because of this. No issues so far, very pleased with them. Not been tested in snow, but wet,slippy roads and in the dry very good overall, quite quiet too.

I have Hankook sinergy 4S all season tyres if you want another recommendation . Very pleased so far. Used on wet grass and icy roads with no problems.

Thanks. I guess in real world driving the main brands at comparable prices have similar performance..

From what I am seeing, there can be significant variations in performance of tyres within brands, so I would recommend reading reviews, of which there are plenty, and jumping brands as you see fit to get the tyre that suits your needs. FWIW I saw a review of a recent generation Hankook winter tyre that rated them as 'dangerous' on one review and to 'best avoided' elsewhere, yet another similar one from Hankook was very decent. with £50K on wet and snowy roads its not worth making assumptions IMHO.

In the tests I have seen, the Nokian Weatherproofs are essentially neck and neck with the Vector 4 seasons G2, with the former being better on snow/ice and the latter being better on wet roads etc. But both great all rounders, with a different emphasis. For day to day UK use the G2 look the marginally better bet, but you will be in snow a lot the Nokians test as very close to a full winter in this regard. I will almost certainly been putting one of these two on my Cali - most likely the G2. I had them on my V70 and fantastic all round.

From what I am seeing, there can be significant variations in performance of tyres within brands, so I would recommend reading reviews, of which there are plenty, and jumping brands as you see fit to get the tyre that suits your needs. FWIW I saw a review of a recent generation Hankook winter tyre that rated them as 'dangerous' on one review and to 'best avoided' elsewhere, yet another similar one from Hankook was very decent. with £50K on wet and snowy roads its not worth making assumptions IMHO.

In the tests I have seen, the Nokian Weatherproofs are essentially neck and neck with the Vector 4 seasons G2, with the former being better on snow/ice and the latter being better on wet roads etc. But both great all rounders, with a different emphasis. For day to day UK use the G2 look the marginally better bet, but you will be in snow a lot the Nokians test as very close to a full winter in this regard. I will almost certainly been putting one of these two on my Cali - most likely the G2. I had them on my V70 and fantastic all round.
The Nokians and Vectors were on my list and money was not the issue in my case. Like you I studied lots of reviews but i made my choice based on a friends recommendation and availability at the time. I have absolute confidence in the Hankooks and I would not hesitate to put them on again. I agree that with a £50K vehicle being kept in place by just a few inches of rubber you have to get it right.

Most tyre reviews I looked at there are always the odd review saying they are "ditch finders" etc. etc. With my driving style I am happy with the road holding of my Hankook tyre's. Any tyre will give up if over pushed. I do not divemy van like that. I believe a mid range tyre meets my needs driving style and pocket best for our Cali useage.

Last edited:
And Im done. For those with (vaguest of) interest I decided to buy very light used second hand set of alloys off 'the bay', then bought some Nokian Weatherproofs from Oponeo which apparently are ok in snow and then had them all fitted today. I'll keep them on most of the time - theyll do for the German winter requirements, wifes family visits in Sweden and the odd ski trip ...and most of all just living in wet, damp, muddy Cumbria. I'll keep the summer tyres/wheels in the cellar and flip over should global warming actually deliver a summer of unmitigated sunshine some time or Ive lots of motorway thrashing to do to visit family etc.

And Im done. For those with (vaguest of) interest I decided to buy very light used second hand set of alloys off 'the bay', then bought some Nokian Weatherproofs from Oponeo which apparently are ok in snow and then had them all fitted today. I'll keep them on most of the time - theyll do for the German winter requirements, wifes family visits in Sweden and the odd ski trip ...and most of all just living in wet, damp, muddy Cumbria. I'll keep the summer tyres/wheels in the cellar and flip over should global warming actually deliver a summer of unmitigated sunshine some time or Ive lots of motorway thrashing to do to visit family etc.
My weatherproofs were fantastic today in the snow :thumb

larrylamb - good to hear.
They are 235 width not the 215 snow tyre recommended width - but dont suppose it will make much difference for what Im doing. I have bought a set of second hand unused fancy Weisenfels Quattro snow chains also off ebay whcih dont go round the back of the tyre - so hopefully will fit ok in the available space just fine. Set them up to fit the spare so sized right - but then lost interest and put them back in their bags rather than see if they fit in the wheel arches... I shall leave that cheap thrill for when the time comes. Clearly not sensible - but frankly quite bored with wheel faffing ...

Old thread but anybody found the Weatherproof's recently?? Seem like a great option for all round use AND winter. Was about to splash out on winters and saw these - fancy putting on winter wheels that I can leave on...

I bought them. Sold my California as was sick of too little space and bought a nearly new Caravelle Exec - but kept the wheels and tyres... Theyve been brilliant. Quiet (well these vehicles arent ever quiet but you know what I mean) and used in Alps x2 incl slushy roads. I just bought another two few weeks ago from Camskill down the road - they do UK post to anywhere and werer cheapest I could find. Werent in stock but they had them sent direct from Nokian. didnt need another two due to wear but because I sliced the side wall on the front nearside avoiding one of the lovely visitors down the road from my home (Lake District). Wing mirror buftied too. Not smiley face.

Great Weeve - thanks for the reply. I did note Catskill as being the one and only one carrying stock in 'our's size. Would have been hesitant to buy given this but will be much happier now on this recommendation for them. Seem like a great option - I was about to buy DR4's - these seem like a year round version with no noticeable drawbacks. Seems too good

"Sick of too little space" sounds interesting - another thread...

Now - to try and make a wheel decision.

too many bikes, people, prams and outdoor gear for sleeping as well... need a truck :)
tyres really been great - rated for winter so I figure they will just fail when gets really really bad and in the Lakes here thats rare. If you want a set of wheels I have some on mint ones on e bay - literally just posted.
item 272433317008. I kept mine from the Cali so have exact same for sale from the Caravelle Exec. Just got round to listing them couple of days ago

Anyone tried them? As good or better than the Goodyear 4 Seasons whcih I can only find in 103H not 103V Generation 2. Have to choose something this week...

Here in 103V rating:

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?PoD=110__R-238842__X

No affiliation and no endorsement intended.

Edit: Sorry - only noticed the thread resurrection after posting! Link may be a little late for OP.

In an effort to make my post a bit more useful, these search results (from the same site) show the Vredestein Quatrac 5 top rated - according to customer reviews - with the Nokian Weatherproof coming in second, although I notice this latter tyre has better official EU ratings for wet grip and noise - more competitively priced too (at least here).

Last edited:
We've got the Vredensteins. If you look hard enough you can see them on my avatar.:)
Been absolutely brilliant. Going back on in a few weeks.

I've just ordered a set of Nokian WRC3- will use them over the winter months in the UK and occasional trip to the Alps and then swap back to summer tyres in March/April.

too many bikes, people, prams and outdoor gear for sleeping as well... need a truck :)
tyres really been great - rated for winter so I figure they will just fail when gets really really bad and in the Lakes here thats rare. If you want a set of wheels I have some on mint ones on e bay - literally just posted.
item 272433317008. I kept mine from the Cali so have exact same for sale from the Caravelle Exec. Just got round to listing them couple of days ago

did you sell ythese wheels / Tyres ?

Back