Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

North Cape & Lofoten : June-July 2015

2CV67

2CV67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Last year, we had a fabulous trip as far as Trondheim, via Preikestolen, the Fjords & Atlantic Road, returning via Oslo, with unbelievable weather (solid blue sky & 28°C!).
So we were keen to try the northern half of Norway this year, without daring to hope for the same weather, of course...
And sure enough - we got 5-10°C, occasional rain & frequent very low cloud.
The clouds often obscured what we know to be wonderful views, so we are already thinking of having another shot at the Vesteralen & Route 17 sometime, but not this year!

Great trip, all the same, with (in the bright intervals) spectacular scenery, midnight sun...

Route:
Alsace - Kolding - Copenhagen - Malmo - Stockholm - Umea - Rovaniemi - North Cape - Tromso - Gryllefjord - Vesteralen - Lofoten - Narvik - Route 17 (Bodo-Steinkjer) - Roros - Gothenburg - Helsingborg - Helsingor - Kolding - Schleswig - Alsace.

25 nights on board - 9798km.

Saw lots of reindeer, one elk, very few mosquitos.

Some pictures (from 1116...) :

Careful!
5HEpPx.jpg

Yep, but we saw a LOT more than that.
TLIzQt.jpg

Arctic Circle - sounds adventurous already.
UOlLmS.jpg

Midnight Sun at North Cape.
9XnmSC.jpg

Pause on Lyngenfjord.
HYEYXd.jpg

Isle of Senja.
pr2DY6.jpg

Henningsvaer, Lofoten - Guess what that smells like...
TuY9wP.jpg

More Midnight Sun - at Utakleiv
EnOS73.jpg

New twist on Roof garden? - Nesland.
dwJb7J.jpg

Buksnes.
FZ8GHF.jpg

Another quiet stopover - Smorten.
3NK5RD.jpg

Nice camp spot - Korsnes.
rM0DKc.jpg

Maelstrom at Saltstraumen.
jGNFXa.jpg

Heading for the glacier at Svartisen (but it was too slippery...)
QRzwWt.jpg

Roros - museum town.
z9a8qT.jpg

Last edited:
Very jealous. Very much on my 'to do' list.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Great photos. Much quieter at Nordkapp when I was there at the end of May.:thumb

Amazing, I'd love to do that!

Thanks for sharing.

Great Post. great trip, great photos thanks for posting :thumb

Lovely photos. Went to Norway about 4 years ago and can still smell those fish...

Wow love the photos :thumb. I live just near Saltstraumen now. When its in full flow its immense. I really want to see Senja and further north. The Kystriksveien from bodo south is one of my favourite trips. We went up and back last year in my old Syncro. I've just bought my first Norwegian van and cant wait to see Nordcap. Cheers

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=357485&page=4

Fabulous,

Thank you for those

Brilliant

Great pictures. On our list together with Iceland.
Is it midgy like Scotland.

Sweden, Finland & Norway are notorious for midges/mosquitos so we bought special roll-on protection locally, assuming it would be more effective than what we can find here.
But then in 26 days we saw no midges at all & only a couple of mosquitos.
Never used the protection.

Last year we saw no midges & no mosquitos the whole time.
We assumed it was due to the extraordinary hot/dry weather then.

Luck of the draw?

Not so much midgy but more the mosquitos that savage you. I went for a walk up the fjellet round the back where I live and wore shorts. After 5 hours with repellent on, I got back and I was monstered! They clung to the back of my shirt end bit right through! They call Mosquitos, mig and midges, knot. They have both I think Scotland has more midges. We got a UV bug killer and in one calm warm night we filled it up. Summer only lasted a week this year so we should be ok now :)

Not so much midgy but more the mosquitos that savage you. I went for a walk up the fjellet round the back where I live and wore shorts. After 5 hours with repellent on, I got back and I was monstered! They clung to the back of my shirt end bit right through! They call Mosquitos, mig and midges, knot. They have both I think Scotland has more midges. We got a UV bug killer and in one calm warm night we filled it up. Summer only lasted a week this year so we should be ok now :)

OK thanks for the midge info. As said, sounds like luck of the draw.
I'm usually a midge/mozzy magnet but strangely didn't have any problems in the Amazon jungle whereas my other half who is normally OK got bitten. Different breed I suppose.

I dug out a few more pictures of that trip:

Norsholm Sweden
2j0Mv6.jpg

Stockholm
4RY0MF.jpg

Gamelstaden
uUJ7cF.jpg

Finland
7OjF2z.jpg

Honningsvag
T2bbCu.jpg

Drying rack
YuW6C2.jpg

Alta
fqKqYp.jpg

0yVSI0.jpg

Lyngenfjord
asyn11.jpg

Wo5u8o.jpg

0bFZ7c.jpg

Tromso
xuUtPL.jpg

SDy4om.jpg

4sImtM.jpg

Senja
pr2DY6.jpg

Gryllefjord
pqauMn.jpg

SLdjuB.jpg

Café - Versteralen
TsBtnd.jpg

Sortland (blue town...)
Km48Xz.jpg

Drying rack
JZxK3M.jpg

Last edited:
Been there end of July-September 2015, 3weeks. Up to a Trondheim. Average +12'c temperature ) Had +2 at night in a tent. Didn't see a single mosquito!
In 2014 we were there in July with 30-35'c temperatures and lots of those beasts.

Hey we were in the glass blowing studio a few months after you. My partner is a glass designer and she knows the son of the man who set up that studio. She also designed the new glass sculpture in Sortlands new "Culture Factory". The blue buildings were all one mans vision. A great idea. Brilliant photos by the way.

Back