Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

North coast of Spain campsites.

L

Lavapotman

Vehicle
Just browsing
Booked out to Santander back from Bilbao next August. Anyone have recommendations on campsites?

Camping La Paz near Llanes, terraced site with private beach;
La Viorna, terraced site just outside Potes, Picos de Europa breathtaking.

Camping La Paz near Llanes, terraced site with private beach;
La Viorna, terraced site just outside Potes, Picos de Europa breathtaking.
Thanks I had La paz on my list will look up the other one.

I like this one. Not great facilities but great location. Comillas is one of the most beautiful villages in northern Spain.

http://www.campingcomillas.com
Yip I had this on my list too. Looks great how far is it from the village and what's the best way to get from the campsite to the village? Can you drive in or is it a walk?

We are planning a trip in the same area next july … ;-)

Spent a couple of weeks at this one, just down the road from Comillas.

http://www.oyambre.com/

Superb beaches, some great walking/cycling and both Comillas & San Vicente within cycling distance.

Lots of semi-wild camp sites around that area too, albeit with some fairly odd angles for sleeping!

La Paz isn't too steep for the Cali?

I have watched caravans and large motorhomes go up and down the main access road, a California should have no problem at all. There is a wide range of pitches, some with sea views and others tucked away in wooded areas. An excellent site in a great location for both the coast and the Picos.

The main access road at La Paz. Hopefully a picture is worth a 1000 words
IMG_2013.JPG

Agree about La Viorna, arrived intending to stay a couple of nights but were there for about a week. Lots of walks into the hills from the site.

We were around Comillas in November, stayed a bit further out at Camping Oyambre Beach. All a bit surfer dude territory, but:

IMG_8361.JPG
Can walk into St Vicente de la Barquera, and there's a cycle path if that's your thing.

Also really liked Camping Los Cantiles at Luarca. The cliff edge sites are pretty special I think.

Have fun.

La Paz isn't too steep for the Cali?
You should have seen some of the hairpins we drove up in the Picos in our Toyota Granvia! Outrageous!
:shocked:shocked:shocked

Agree about La Viorna, arrived intending to stay a couple of nights but were there for about a week. Lots of walks into the hills from the site.

We were around Comillas in November, stayed a bit further out at Camping Oyambre Beach. All a bit surfer dude territory, but:

View attachment 18009
Can walk into St Vicente de la Barquera, and there's a cycle path if that's your thing.

Also really liked Camping Los Cantiles at Luarca. The cliff edge sites are pretty special I think.

Have fun.

That looks perfect.
I have the ferry booked for start of September. Some great links here :thumb

at the moment looking at heading west http://www.campingcomillas.com/home, www.campinglapaz.com, www.camping-ribadesella.com, www.campingcudillero.com then back east for igueldo for san sebastian.

Sounds really nice @Lavapotman !

We are not that far in planning our trip ;-)

Originally we wanted to go all the coastline Spain/Portugal - west coast down - east coast back. But with driving from Denmark its easy adds to +7.000 km, and we decided it is to much driving. Like my wife says: "Honey, we are on a trip, not on the run". So now we are looking at a slowly costal trip thru Holland, Belgium, France, Spain and a maybe bit of Portugal. 5-6 weeks in all.

It is so easy to get carried away while planning on the map :)

I have so many trips I would love to do:
  • Scotland. The Outlander trip (Following the story from the books, Culloden More, Castle Fraiser, Inverness, etc.)
  • Sweden & Norway (Tromsø, Nordkapp)
  • Around the Baltic (Riga, Ballin, Skt. Petersorg, Helsinki, etc)
  • Island (Guess I need to modify the cali :))

Yip I had this on my list too. Looks great how far is it from the village and what's the best way to get from the campsite to the village? Can you drive in or is it a walk?
It is a 5-10 minutes walk. If your are planning on going to Asturias let me know, I lived in Asturias for almost 20 years. I can also help you with very good restaurants. I recommend you to do a little gastronomic tour in the area.

If you do Scotland I recommend Ullapool, Inverewe, Loch Morrar, Torridon, Applecross, Eileen Donnan Castle, Plockton and the Fort William to Morrar steam railway. We did that in 2010 - great if you are lucky with the weather and miss the midges. (May/June usually a good time).

Hi, had a great 2 weeks in August in Asturias a couple of years back. We spent the first week camping at La Viorna in Potes which is fantastic, very laid back, nice pool to dip into after your day out, nice small good value restaurant then drove down to the coast. It was a bit of a shock after the tranquility of the mountains. It seemed like the whole of Spain had come to the area for their summer holidays. We stayed at Camping Playa del Troenzo which is right above two fantastic beaches and in a great location. It was however very, very busy but somehow the facilities coped with the amount of people. I saw hardly any other Brits around. Once you get away from the main towns, it quietens down, there are some amazing gravel cycle tracks along the coast where you can find unspoilt beaches in the middle of nowhere. The whole coast is absolutely amazing and unspoilt, however my recommendation is choose your campsite and timing carefully. If I went again, it would not be in August when the Spanish are off.