Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway and dogs

S

SallyW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We are planning a trip to northern Norway in the early summer (June/July) along with our Labrador.
I believe there is a rule in Norway that dogs must be kept on a lead from April to August.
Our main activity on our travels is hiking in the mountains and we hope to do lots of this in Norway.
Our dog has been trained to not bother livestock and to walk close to us when we encounter sheep etc.
However it is unrealistic and not safe (for us) to keep him on a lead on steep mountain paths.
Has anyone experience of this rule? Is it a common sense rule or is it adhered to strictly?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

I haven't been but I did research it and one thing to bear in mind is that as I understand it if they arent on a lead then they can be legally shot by farmers in some areas if they are deemed to be worrying live stock (same as the uk I guess) so you just need to be mindful and research the hikes before you leave.

Some areas will have guides and simply be deemed unsafe for dogs such as

We are planning a trip to northern Norway in the early summer (June/July) along with our Labrador.
I believe there is a rule in Norway that dogs must be kept on a lead from April to August.
Our main activity on our travels is hiking in the mountains and we hope to do lots of this in Norway.
Our dog has been trained to not bother livestock and to walk close to us when we encounter sheep etc.
However it is unrealistic and not safe (for us) to keep him on a lead on steep mountain paths.
Has anyone experience of this rule? Is it a common sense rule or is it adhered to strictly?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
We travelled in Norway for six weeks with two border collies. The rules are clear. In the summer months dogs must be kept on the lead at all times except fenced and locked private land, and dog exercise areas of town parks. The only place we felt absolutely confident exercising Meg and Jess off lead was a locked dog agility field. It had a phone number on the gate which we rang, the agility club member who answered gave us the combination number for the gate and made us feel very welcome to use the field.

Having said that, we did walk the dogs off lead where we shouldn't: empty beaches and mountain trails. If we heard people the dogs went on the lead. Every year there are one or two reports of farmers shooting pet dogs dead in Norway - farmers are perfectly entitled to do this, not only if their livestock are being disturbed but also if they think their livestock might be disturbed; a "carte blanche" for summary execution. If you're sensible the risk is probably low, but like exceeding the speed limit, it is a risk, not only of being caught and fined but of tragic consequences. The risk of Meg or Jess disturbing wildlife (the justification for the ban) I felt was negligible.

Yes the reports a few years ago of a dog being shot whilst a chap fished did put us off going for a while.

Lived in Norway for 10 years with dogs. When we went hiking in the mountains we used harnesses with extendable leads. The dogs very quickly learnt to ‘wait’ and then ‘on you go’ on rocky paths where it would have been dangerous with a short lead.
Normally I hate extendable leads, but definitely recommend them for the mountains. I prefer the tape ones over string as if you need to grab it with your hand it doesn’t try to slice your finger off...

We had a dog for 12y and my experience is that even if your dog is well behaved and walks next to you . The fact you need to keep your dog on a leach is that other people don't know your dog or his habits. Some might be affraid of dogs ,....
On public ground when people are arround you should keep dogs on a lead at all times.

Thank you for your replies and to hear of your own experiences and suggestions.