Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway in only 15 days (actually 17 oops)

Brian’s Dad

Brian’s Dad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We considered an even shorter trip to Norway last year but our Cali was delayed. So we've finally booked leave and plan to head to Norway in early June.

We've only got 15 days and sadly this will not get any longer for the foreseeable future, I realise this is a short amount of time but we'll have to suck it up.

My current plan is:
Fri night: Harwich - Hook of Hollannd
Sunday afternoon - Hirtshals to Kristiansand

From there start heading up the coast towards Bergen (around 10 days of travel). If time permits head further north beyond Bergen.

A week Thursday, overnight ferry from Bergen to Hirtsals arriving Friday AM - I'd guess this ferry has great views.

Head back to hook of Holland for a Saturday night Hook of Holland Ferry back to the UK.

Time is clearly going to be tight, zooming through Denmark seems to be one way to save time (we can come back to Denmark etc on another trip).
The return ferry from Bergen seemed like a sneaky way to eat up some miles and have a sleep on the way home before the next big drive. However it's not cheap. The other option would be to return to Kristiansand or Lavrik through the centre of Norway, this would mean we'd have to turn south earlier (the only argument I can see for this is if there are some great sights to see on this return route). Any words of wisdom gratefully received!

I also note adding a bike rack seems to increase all ferry fares significantly... shall we sacrifice the bikes or is it a great place for day tripping on bikes? We like all outdoor activities, plan to walk, run kayak etc.

Be interested to hear how you get on.

We planned Norway this year but the ferry costs, were quite steep and we were worreid about our dogs being in kennels for 10+ hours. The time we felt we needed to see anything and not just spend our time travelling, meant we put it off for yet another year perhaps. We still really really want to go.

The ferry costs meant it was far cheaper for us to to drive but likewise it can easily take 3 or 4 days to get upto the to of Denmark via the tunnel maybe 2 or 3 days if you put the hours in. For us I think 4 weeks would be a good time-span to see Norway and get back via our preferred driving method.

We did see a lot of Denmark over 3 weeks (around the Cali meet at Svaneke), with a brief dip into Sweden. The ferry ride from Bornholm to Ystad has put me off ferrys for many years, people flying about, lunch making an early exit etc lol :sad:Depressed so I am further convinced I don't want a long ferry ride lol

Last edited:
Be interested to hear how you get on.

We planned Norway this year but the ferry costs, were quite steep and we were worreid abuot our dogs bein gin kennels for 10+ hours. The time we felt we needed to see anything and not just spend our time travelling, meant we put it off for yet another year perhaps. We still really really want to go.

The ferry costs meant it was far cheaper for us to to drive but likewise it can easily take 3 or 4 days to get upto the to of Denmark via the tunnel maybe 2 or 3 days if you put the hours in. For us I think 4 weeks would be a good timespan to see Norway and get back via our preferred driving method.

We did see a lot of Denmark over 3 weeks (around the Cali meet at Svaneke), with a brief dip into Sweden. The ferry ride from Bornholm to Ystad has put me off ferrys for many years, people flying about, lunch making an early exit etc lol :sad:Depressed so I am further convinced I don't want a long ferry ride lol

I used to sail quite a lot so I enjoy a ferry, not sure my other half does!

We took a leisurely 7 drives from London to Norway:
London - Zeebrugge
Zeebrugge - Unna
Unna - Lubeck
Lubeck - Middelfart
Middelfart - Copenhagen
Copenhagen - Stromstad
Stromstad - Seljord (Norway)

Spending 15 days visiting Norway on a road trip will be tough, especially if that 15 days includes getting there and back which could easily eat up 6-8 days of your trip.

One place in southern Norway I can recommend is Flam. It’s inland at the end of a long fjord and has a mountain railway to the pass. It’s a very steep walk or cycle descent back to the fjord on the scenic navvies road. I did it on my Brompton hauling two toddlers in a bike trailer. My wife walked with our two dogs.

Bikes work well in Norway, even if just to get from the campsite to restaurant or supermarket and back. We took Bromptons. Fold them up, put them in a bag, and place behind the front seats for ferry crossings. Fold down the handlebars, drop the saddle, and place on the bike rack keeping them below roof height for long economic drives, keeping them out of the way.

Last edited:

This was our trip few years ago , 3weeks away in total and only just went up til Trondheim . We passed Bergen but not visited .
Sooo much to see but it's also nice if you just visit nothing and enjoy the magic scenenery and the piece&quiet of the country !

Even living there for 10 years, whenever we went away we would increase the SatNav estimated time be around 50% because at every turn we wanted to stop and admire the scenery, and get out and walk the dogs... lots to see and do between Kristiansand and Bergen, yet only a fraction of the country...

Even living there for 10 years, whenever we went away we would increase the SatNav estimated time be around 50% because at every turn we wanted to stop and admire the scenery, and get out and walk the dogs... lots to see and do between Kristiansand and Bergen, yet only a fraction of the country...
Thanks, we're quite happy to see only a small part and return for more when time permits.

Thanks, we're quite happy to see only a small part and return for more when time permits.
Good for you.
I would recommend Preikestolen and Kjerag (this latter would take a bit more time).
And if you can take a detour inland rather than straight up to Bergen there is a 360 degree tunnel going up with a hotel at the top. The tunnel is not totally enclosed so you get glimpses as you go. I think it’s at the northern end of Odda Fjord (I can check if you’re interested).
The recommendations from others for Flam are worth looking into. There is a trip you can take from Bergen called “Norway in a Nutshell”... But rather than take it you can google where it goes and seek out some good spots for views. But it is worth the good few hours trip if you have time.
I wish I was still living there!

Good for you.
I would recommend Preikestolen and Kjerag (this latter would take a bit more time).
And if you can take a detour inland rather than straight up to Bergen there is a 360 degree tunnel going up with a hotel at the top. The tunnel is not totally enclosed so you get glimpses as you go. I think it’s at the northern end of Odda Fjord (I can check if you’re interested).
The recommendations from others for Flam are worth looking into. There is a trip you can take from Bergen called “Norway in a Nutshell”... But rather than take it you can google where it goes and seek out some good spots for views. But it is worth the good few hours trip if you have time.
I wish I was still living there!
Thanks Alison. I've heard about this tunnel it sounds crazy! If you know where it is please let us know.

Personally, with this time limited trip, I would ditch the bicycles, unless you plan on staying in campsites in towns. I tended to visit such places but stayed in campsites in the countryside. For me, the countryside was the reason to visit not the cities/towns. Coastal cities like Stavanger/Bergen are fine for a short visit but often full of cruise passengers.
i used the ASCI app to find campsites as well as the Archies App. I tend to travel early May into June. No problem finding sites or wild camping spots at that time of year.
unless you are into driving you will take longer than you think covering distance.
I pick a destination , stop for coffee and lunch and sightseeing and then look for a campsite in my direction of travel whilst having lunch, rather than aim for a campsite. You might travel 50 miles or 200 miles depending on the scenery etc.
Don‘t run the fuel tank below a 1/4 before camping, you might need the heater.
Enjoy, but just remember you have to get back On time for the Ferry to UK.

Next year I’ll be returning and meandering up through Norway to Nordkapp, my 4th trip.

I think there is a ferry from immingham (hull) to Gothenburg. That would save a fair bit of driving.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

I think there is a ferry from immingham (hull) to Gothenburg. That would save a fair bit of driving.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Don't think this is an option - it is certainly one we were considering for next year, but on DFDS web site it states

Travel limitation for private passengers
DFDS freight port of Immingham can accept commercial freight drivers with their loads. Due to UKBF port approval, private passengers are not permitted to be carried through Immingham. This means that we can no longer accept leisure fare paying passengers on the freight routes through Immingham. Leisure passengers should refer to our passenger ferries section on the website for details on our passenger services.

We have travelled this sort of direction a few times and sat navs/google seem to give times that are very optimistic. Delays around Osnabrück, Bremen, and Hamburg seriously adding to the travel time, I also believe that there can be delays near the Danish border.

We did this in 2 weeks.
1574755661494.png
DayTravelAccommodationPost CodeWebsiteMileageCatering
1Rendezvous 2130hrs Harwich - Depart 2300Stena Hollandica ferry - En suite cabineating out
20800 arrive Hook of HollandCamping Klausdorfer Strand, Puttgarden23769 Klausdorf
420​
Resturant
3Puttgarten - Rodby ferry, cross Denmark and Oresund bridge to SwedenTrollhattan Stenrosets Camping, Sweden46198 Trollhattanhttp://www.stenrosetscamping.se
386​
self catering
4Trollhattan canal visit , Saab museum, north to NorwayEkeberg Camping, Oslo, Norway1181 Oslohttp://www.ekebergcamping.no
150​
self catering
5Lillehammer, Ski jump tower visit, Peer Gynt gravel road, evenig group barbecue Skabu Camping, Norway2643 Skabuhttp://www.skabuhytterogcamping.no
170​
self catering BBQ
6Jotunheim gravel road, Lom Stave Church,Nordal Turistsenter, Lom, Norway2686 Lomhttp://www.nordalturistsenter.no
120​
self catering
7Gamle Strynefjellsveg, Panorama Road, Gerainger Fjord, Trollstigen roadAndalsnes Camping, Norway6300 Åndalsneshttp://www.andalsnes-camping.net
250​
self catering
8Atlantic Road - Bud to Kristiansund, coastal sightseeing or rest day!Andalsnes Camping, Norway6300 Åndalsneshttp://www.andalsnes-camping.net
90​
self catering
9Aursjovegen high fell road, Fjord Road to TrondheimFlakk Camping, Norway7070 Bosberghttp://www.flakk-camping.no
190​
self catering
10Sightseeing in Trondheim, Hell station. Into SwedenSolarven Camping, Sweden79091 Idre
240​
self catering
11Njupeskär waterfall walk, Magic Road, evening Swedish barbecueSolarven Camping, Sweden79091 Idre
50​
BBQ
12Swedish gravel roads, lakes and forestsTrollhattan Stenrosets Camping, Sweden46198 Trollhattanhttp://www.stenrosetscamping.se
340​
self catering
13Helsingor-Helsingborg ferry from Sweden to DenmarkCamping Absalon, Copenhagen, Denmark2610 Rødovrehttp://www.camping-absalon.dk
300​
self catering
14Rest day visiting Copenhagen. Tivoli Gardens, Nyhaven, etcCamping Absalon, Copenhagen, Denmark2610 Rødovrehttp://www.camping-absalon.dk
0​
Eat out
15Roskilde Viking Boat museum. Rodby-Puttgarten ferryCamping Klausdorfer Strand, Puttgarden23769 Klausdorf
150​
Resturant
162200 depart Hook of HollandStena Hollandica ferry - En suite cabin
420​
eat on ferry
170630 arrive HarwichHomeTotal - approximately!
3276​

Can you pay someone to drive your van to an international airport in Norway? Then you could fly out and your driver fly back.

Norwegian flies Gatwick to Narvik. You could then do a linear drive following the Atlantic coast to southern Norway.

An expensive option, but if time spent touring is more important than money, an option that might be worth considering.

The most important tip I could give you; realise that your average speed -in Norway- will be around 60 km/hour. Don't make the mistake of calculating the time you need for a certain distance in the same way you would normally do. 60 km/h on average is the reality. Norway is beautiful, once you've been you'll fall in love ;-). Bergen is worth a visit (Oslo less so if you ask me). Hardangervidda is beautiful. So is finnskogen on the border with Sweden. The nature is why you should go to Norway. It's mini-Canada. Culture, and food, less interesting then in other countries, but there's still interesting things. Preikestolen and Kjeragbolten are famous. Touristy but less so than touristy things in the south of Europe. Honestly, you could spend months in Norway, especially in a camper van. I'd bring the bikes. You'll see much more of the nature. Distances are long. For norwegians driving to work 2 hours is common. Driving 3 hours to visit friends for coffee is normal too.

I've just realised it's actually 17 days we've got!
Remember there are many tunnels and new sections on existing roads that attract a Toll. As far as I am aware there is only 1 manned Toll Booth in Norway and that was on the Atlantic Way just South of the undersea tunnel from Kristiansund. The rest use APNR cameras and you will get an itemised bill from the company EPC plc who are the collection agency for and on behalf of the Norwegian Government.
you can register with EPC beforehand with your vehicle details and this ensures you are charged correctly for the vehicle. My last trip in the south, upto Trondheim over 21 days was a total of 613 NOK or £60. You pay in the U.K. by Visa or MasterCard or Bank Transfer.

Remember there are many tunnels and new sections on existing roads that attract a Toll. As far as I am aware there is only 1 manned Toll Booth in Norway and that was on the Atlantic Way just South of the undersea tunnel from Kristiansund. The rest use APNR cameras and you will get an itemised bill from the company EPC plc who are the collection agency for and on behalf of the Norwegian Government.
you can register with EPC beforehand with your vehicle details and this ensures you are charged correctly for the vehicle. My last trip in the south, upto Trondheim over 21 days was a total of 613 NOK or £60. You pay in the U.K. by Visa or MasterCard or Bank Transfer.
Thanks I was reading about this. It seems pretty reasonable, I once left my credit card in a toll machine so at least that won't happen!

They sent me a bill about four weeks after we left Norway - it seemed pretty reasonable: £36.66 in tolls between Selater and Nuorgam via Bergen, Trondheim, Lofoten and Nordkapp. We sometimes set the sat nav to avoid tolls, and we had amazing detours along single track roads for a great many meandering miles around mountains not under and alongside fjords not over. Tunnels and bridges can be fun, but Norway has a plethora of them and you can have enough.

We managed to avoid an automatic parking charge in Bergen due to a faulty ANPR reading, I did contact the company but they never replied. We also didn't pay for a ferry passage between Tjøtta and Forvik after the most chaotic ferry queue we ever encountered. No one came to charge us and we weren't going to seek out the cashier after they cocked up the queueing system causing us to miss two boats.

We considered an even shorter trip to Norway last year but our Cali was delayed. So we've finally booked leave and plan to head to Norway in early June.

We've only got 15 days and sadly this will not get any longer for the foreseeable future, I realise this is a short amount of time but we'll have to suck it up.

My current plan is:
Fri night: Harwich - Hook of Hollannd
Sunday afternoon - Hirtshals to Kristiansand

From there start heading up the coast towards Bergen (around 10 days of travel). If time permits head further north beyond Bergen.

A week Thursday, overnight ferry from Bergen to Hirtsals arriving Friday AM - I'd guess this ferry has great views.

Head back to hook of Holland for a Saturday night Hook of Holland Ferry back to the UK.

Time is clearly going to be tight, zooming through Denmark seems to be one way to save time (we can come back to Denmark etc on another trip).
The return ferry from Bergen seemed like a sneaky way to eat up some miles and have a sleep on the way home before the next big drive. However it's not cheap. The other option would be to return to Kristiansand or Lavrik through the centre of Norway, this would mean we'd have to turn south earlier (the only argument I can see for this is if there are some great sights to see on this return route). Any words of wisdom gratefully received!

I also note adding a bike rack seems to increase all ferry fares significantly... shall we sacrifice the bikes or is it a great place for day tripping on bikes? We like all outdoor activities, plan to walk, run kayak etc.

15 days is more than enough time for the route you are taking.

We went through the tunnel, then Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, across the bridge to Sweden, up to Norway, then up to the very top, Nordkapp, back down through Finland, across Sweden, down the west coast of Norway, then the ferry to Denmark, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, tunnel and home to Sussex - 23 days and we didn't feel we were rushing, although we only stopped for one night everywhere, until Kristiansands, where we stayed for two nights.

We plan to return next Autumn for the Northern Lights and we will take our bikes so we can stay outside the towns and cycle in. We will be going via eastern Europe, germany, Poland, estaonia, Lithuania, Latvia to Finland.

People on this forum have undertaken some very adveturous trips that way I believe.

I suggest you to follow our channel on YouTube since we are rolling out the Norway series shot this summer during June. 15 days are not enough to enjoy Norway, but in June you can drive after dinner as we did if you want. Since there is no dark at all. We had 23 days but we drove from Sicily and went to Lofoten too. I suggest you to enjoy southern park of Norway, ditch Oslo, since you can enjoy it in the future by airplane and enjoy the fjords. Familytrip Youtube channel