Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norwegian ‘Top Down’ method of lighting a wood burner

chockswahay

chockswahay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I thought I would just share this mornings experience. I have read about this method so decided to try it today. It works!

I placed 4 pieces of medium size hardwood splits in a criss cross on the base of ash then a small pile of pine kindling in a similar way on top. Lastly I lit one match and placed it just under top piece of wood........

The theory is that the top of the fire box and the flue heat first and a clean burn is quickly established, then as the fire burns the flames and falling embers work their way down and ignite the bigger wood below. During this time I did not have the door open and neither was the secondary vent on boost (just ‘high’).

It is the easiest, quickest and least fiddly method I have yet used. I’m converted!

C1AE70B1-6A18-42CC-9C4E-C25FEE5B54DC.jpeg

After 4 minutes from start
FCFD3F0B-F025-436D-9217-7057D795507E.jpeg

After 8 minutes from start
D18547F1-0C8B-4FF8-ABD5-049B74AE7980.jpeg

After 10 minutes from start
6F2CA2DD-A5B8-437B-B563-C34A8638A499.jpeg

30 minutes after start, loaded up with a couple of logs
DCB38399-6AD2-4B69-8DAF-B41C83FFB64F.jpeg

Last edited:
That has to win the award for the cleanest stove glass!
Haha thank you! I must confess I did give it a quick clean earlier but that was not for the photos I promise. Actually the glass does stay quite clean for a few weeks at a time (one of the reasons we chose this particular model)

I’m too tight to use that much kindling.
We got a load of it for free from the builders working on the house next door…….along with a couple of tons of hardwood we collected when trees blew down last year :thumb

I just pile it up, kindling at the bottom then blast it with the blow torch for 30 seconds. Done.

I bought a friend a book about Norwegian log stacking a while back. I do like a nice aesthetically pleasing pile. :cheers

That has to win the award for the cleanest stove glass!
I was about to ask if it was a real fire ... or one of those picture ones ... maybe an advanced new fangled one with AI where it shows the log burning process now, rather than just the fire.

Looks good.

I have some wood and will try this in my wood burner later today or tomorrow evening. I suspect that this will give a longer burn time compared to lighting at the bottom where the full stack will burn faster.

I was about to ask if it was a real fire ... or one of those picture ones ... maybe an advanced new fangled one with AI where it shows the log burning process now, rather than just the fire.

Looks good.

I have some wood and will try this in my wood burner later today or tomorrow evening. I suspect that this will give a longer burn time compared to lighting at the bottom where the full stack will burn faster.
Haha, yes it is real! Regarding the burn time I noticed it did burn more steady whilst getting up to temperature today. I had my doubts at first but hey, progress involves risk.

I’m certainly not preaching that this is the only way, just offering up a different method (probably to those of us ‘of a certain age’ haha)

The method is widely adopted in Norway for its immediate clean burning and therefore reduced particulates and harmful emissions. From a practical view it does get the flue up to temperature much faster than lighting from below and this improves the draw and allows the air intakes to be closed down earlier therefore sending less heat up the chimney.

This was the article that I found this morning and explains the practice better than I do …

Note #4 is the particular bit to read/view :thumb

Also just saw this section of their blog too

Last edited:
I was told to use this method (for the reasons described) 13 years ago when the stove was installed

Coincidentally I also discovered the "top down" method recently, after years of bottom-up frustration (oo-er). I had figured out that after lighting at the bottom, putting some twists of scrunched up paper on top created a decent up-draught and also helps to get the flue warmed up quickly.

But yes, that amount of kindling is sheer profligacy. You must have shares in a kindling mine.

The best fire starter of all time is a wooden Charlie Bigham ready meal tray.

I found about this fire lighting method a couple months ago and am a convert to it, always light my woodburner like this now, but max 3 pieces of kindling :)

Back