Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not a VW Camper owner

GerryM

GerryM

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi, I hope you don’t mind me joining as I don’t own a VW California?

My camper is a wellhouse converted Hyundai i800, the fittings are very similar to those used in VW’s ie. Reimo roof and bed, Webasto heating etc.

This forum has a wealth of useful info and I hope that I can contribute something in return over time.

All the best

GerryM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome and may you win this years WRC constructors with the points that Seb Loab can add.

Hi Gerry :welcome

Interested in your camper, and the base vehicle; please post some photos and what it’s like and how your experience is with the Hyundai dealers and customer service :thumb

Hello Gerry and welcome. Please use the site, join in and share experiences. We are all here for our love of camper vans and whilst we are the California forum you are most welcome. I'm sure for everything we can offer you there will be bits you can offer us so .....

Where's the pics????? :D

As above let’s have some pics and what you like about your Hyundai, why you chose it and how you’ve found camping in it :welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Welcome allong.

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
Pictures are a must, and some details of your campervan.
Is it sold by Hyundai? or a conversion company?

My camper is a wellhouse converted Hyundai i800, the fittings are very similar to those used in VW’s ie. Reimo roof and bed, Webasto heating etc.

This forum has a wealth of useful info and I hope that I can contribute something in return over time.

All the best

GerryM

Greetings!

I looked at Wellhouse and was tempted by their Ford conversions, particularly as they were being sold through the Ford dealerships. Wellhouse appear to be one of the better converters.

I found a video review (below).

I'm well impressed, particularly with the 5 seatbelt layout, flexibility of the rear shelf, the storage space for the Portapotti, and what looks to me like more space downstairs when the bed is made up. I didn't spot any grey carpet anywhere and the base vehicle appears to be based on a people carrier rather than a van.

It also comes with a 5 year warranty on the base vehicle and the habitation part, and is (or was) available through Hyundai dealers.

The review is dated 2012, I'm surprised there are so few on the roads.

Thanks for the warm welcome, it’s pouring down here in the West Mids just now, I will take some pics of the van at the weekend and upload them for all to see.... There is plenty of grey carpet in mine!

It’s a 2012 i800, converted from new by Wellhouse , new to me only last week.

A chance lucky find I hope, owned from new by a couple in their late 70’s who lived a 50 mile round trip to their favoured camping spot so a grand total of 6180 miles on the clock, not cooked in and the shower still in it’s original wrapping.

Looking forward to learning lots here and to enjoying some great camping in the UK and Europe with family and friends.

All the best.

All the best

GerryM

We are in a transporter t4 conversion. There is a lot of useful information on here and we haven't been made to feel outsiders. If you are genuinely interested in campervans you can't wait to hear about others and neb in them if you get the chance. It gives me the opportunity to get my husband to do yet another modification.

Took a few pics on the phone yesterday of the outside of the van.

We parked at Burton Dassett country park in South Warwickshire, a fantastic vantage point with views across Warwickshire and North Oxfordshire.

Great for a brisk walk to help the kids and dog burn off some energy on a very windy and generally wet day!

6674CAB4-63BF-449A-BC80-7997C2656D7E.jpeg
284FFC8A-17C9-461B-8042-6A5D3561CA94.jpeg
35692F17-D427-43B7-831E-5E4DCD607100.jpeg
25D66740-1298-41B7-A27A-845AFCDF59D1.jpeg
201B5396-8DE4-4534-B7A5-80B374E19D7E.jpeg
4FF1DD86-0F35-4F6C-B786-142E90049C6F.jpeg

Thanks for the pics. The dog looks amazed! :D

Thanks for the pics. The dog looks amazed! :D

LOL, I think there’s a fine line between her looking amazed and looking terrified at the prospect of being stuck in any small space with my two youngest kids!

Hi Gerry :welcome

Interested in your camper, and the base vehicle; please post some photos and what it’s like and how your experience is with the Hyundai dealers and customer service :thumb

I bought the camper used from the original owners, they were impressed by the dealer ‘Wellhouse’.

My understanding is that the original owner bought the i800 brand new and had it converted prior to taking delivery and as such benefitted from the 5 year Hyundai warranty.

My father in law has had two brand new conversions from Wellhouse and is very happy with them and the Hyundai dealership that carry out the servicing.

When we visited the Wellhouse stand, at an NEC show, the company owner appeared rather indifferent to our questions about buying a van and as a result we walked away when we could have been talked in to ordering a brand new van.

Not sure if that reflects much about the company and could well be a one off as I’ve heard very good things about their service.

When we visited the Wellhouse stand, at an NEC show, the company owner appeared rather indifferent to our questions about buying a van and as a result we walked away when we could have been talked in to ordering a brand new van.
Many of us have found the same indifference from VW dealers. I suppose these sort of vehicles attract tyre kickers who waste a lot of their time.

We had a Hyundai 1800 2012 model. It was superb as a first camper van. The build quality is very good as is the comfort all round. Being able to access all the electrics etc easily was a bonus. The company were great to work with, and very helpful at all times. Servicing was relatively cheap and over 6 years we had no mechanical problems whatsoever.
The only reasons we changed vehicles were we had a manual gearbox and only one front seat swivelled. The electric roof is also more useful on the VW as I am quite short and had to stand on the seats to operate the roof in the Hyundai.

We had a Hyundai 1800 2012 model. It was superb as a first camper van. The build quality is very good as is the comfort all round. Being able to access all the electrics etc easily was a bonus. The company were great to work with, and very helpful at all times. Servicing was relatively cheap and over 6 years we had no mechanical problems whatsoever.
The only reasons we changed vehicles were we had a manual gearbox and only one front seat swivelled. The electric roof is also more useful on the VW as I am quite short and had to stand on the seats to operate the roof in the Hyundai.

Hi Caroline C,

Thanks for your post.
Ours is a 6 speed manual, as we’ve only driven auto for the past 16 years I was a little concerned about switching back to a manual but so far it’s been okay other than in stop start traffic.

It’s a shame the drivers seat doesn’t swivel, I may see if it’s possible to adapt it, it’s so close the the kitchen unit i suspect It can’t be.

It’s reassuring to hear that your van had no mechanical problems, ours has been the same according to the previous owners although it had only done 6180 miles in since new when we picked it up.

The i800 base van has a very good reputation for being capable of high mileages without much going wrong so fingers crossed ours supports that.

Access to most of the electrics seems easy enough, I’ve still to work out how to access the webasto heater, also there is a pipe for hot water that terminated below the sink tap, the tap only has a cold connection, so I plan to investigate that as I understand that hot water should be available.

Hi again,

Ours was 6 speed manual too. Extremely good on motorways, but easy to go too fast.

The 2 reasons we got rid of ours were the lack of a second swivel seat and lack of automatic gearbox, as you've already found out. We were told it wasn't possible to swivel the other seat due to the handbrake position. I think some models could swivel the drivers seat. Hot water should be easily available.

Back