Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

not again......

alstevens

alstevens

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
in year three of nomadic freedom you'd think I would by now avoid the basic pratfalls... but for the second time I happily jumped into the magic machine and set off, blithely ignoring some warning dings ( have had a faulty tyre pressure alert for a while and assumed it was the token ding it gives on set up) . Nasty breaking and snapping noises brought me to an anxious halt .... had again driven off with the hook up cable attached. The plastic insert connection had shattered, the mains plug (fortunately) wrenched out of the garage socket and twenty metres of orange cable strung all over the road....

I was relieved to find that the Cali fittings seem to be made of more robust plastic than the hook up plug.... no obvious damage there apart from slightly looser connection pins....

all of which means that a couple of years in I must obviously stay in the beginner class before reaching graduation standard.

Realy shame , one of the contras on a RHD i guess .
On a LHD chances are low to have this happen....

I would advise to take things appart and check things inside..

Looks like I got away with the idiocy.... just tried a replacement connector and all seems well- reassuring little plug emblem on the display...... so far so good - will now be totally vigilant about everything .... until familiarity and assumptions catch me out again - all part of the sense of pioneering while completely cossetted by Cali comfort....

Looks like I got away with the idiocy.... just tried a replacement connector and all seems well- reassuring little plug emblem on the display...... so far so good - will now be totally vigilant about everything .... until familiarity and assumptions catch me out again - all part of the sense of pioneering while completely cossetted by Cali comfort....
A small [hookup?] card stowed with the cable that you can put on the instrument cluster after connection?

excellent idea which will be implemented immediately! thanks

A small [hookup?] card stowed with the cable that you can put on the instrument cluster after connection?
small or SMALL?;)

Easily done! :headbang

I put a fluorescent velcro armband on the steering wheel when hook up is on.

I use this - I have laminated it and put a couple of holes in the top using a hole punch - the some re-useable cable ties attach it to the steering wheel so I see it clearly before I go to drive off. Simples!

Attachments

• Disconnect the Mains Feed.pdf
    26.8 KB · Views: 32
Instead of wasting their time with electric roofs etc, VW could easily install a electronic interlock on the hookup point that prevents gear engagement or similar.

That said, once is unfortunate, twice is stupid.

I did it for the third time last weekend.
The cable was hooked around some lengths of steelwork at the back of the barn. Thankfully it all missed the back of the bus as I drove out.

Tw@t.

I have never driven off with the hook-up attached instead preferring the even more subtle "tailgate open" which, depending on the contents of the boot, can leave a trail of shopping, bedding or the ever-so embarrassing contents of a plastic bag full of dirty washing along a 100 yard strip of public tarmac.

Last edited:
I use this - I have laminated it and put a couple of holes in the top using a hole punch - the some re-useable cable ties attach it to the steering wheel so I see it clearly before I go to drive off. Simples!

I just have a velcro strip (very bright pink, as it happens) that I wrap around the top of the steering wheel to remind me "something needs disconnecting".

So far I've always managed to remember what 'pink velcro on steering wheel' means. But it's only a matter of time before I'm "Now, was that to remind me untie the dog from the back bumper, or to renew my Saga membership, or...?"

I simply put the round bag that my hook up cable is stored in in front of the instruments and steering wheel. It's not possible to drive off with that there. It's a good reminder.

We have a code word we chant before driving off. I would like to tell you it is EARS (Electric, awning, roof, seats) but actually it is ARSE. Much more satisfying to chant.

We have a code word we chant before driving off. I would like to tell you it is EARS (Electric, awning, roof, seats) but actually it is ARSE. Much more satisfying to chant.

gets to the bottom of it :shocked

I'm unlikely (probably shouldn't have said that) to drive off with cable attached as I have to step over in every time I come out of the house - not sure about when on a site, I've only plugged in once when away.

But I did leave an event once, soon after I got the Cali, thinking 'wow, the windows let a lot of air in' before realising the sliding door was open!

Back