Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not even received and repair required!

I was told the same, though I think we have the same dealer!

He said that the bungee would cause permanent creases in the bellows if the roof is kept closed for a long time, eg over winter

Not sure if it's true but I haven't fitted my bungee yet

I was surprised how much effort is required to attach the clips and how much material has to be stuffed behind them. I can see how a tear of this nature can easily happen.
I'm not fitting my bungee. A few simple checks before strapping down the roof is all that is required with a beach. I also agree with your remark about an internal topper. Even the child net, which I now leave in place, makes stuffing away the canvass more difficult. However, we do leave a thin down duvet in the roof, and that causes no problems at all.

I definitely think that is sage advice and applicable to either Beach / Ocean. Although, I've also received conflicting advice re: the bungee's, because it is my believe that this is predominately to help with Ocean electrically operated, vice Beach manual, and the practice with the Beach seems to be more of an art of canvas packing - I'm unclear how the bungee would help this?? Thank you.
As far as I can see the use of a bungy, beit on an Ocean or a Beach, will assist (that's not to say vigilance is not required in all cases) in keeping the canvas of the popup roof inside the closing mechanism/hinges and away from the outside extremity/lip of the aluminium lid and as such is worth considering as an addition.

Hi Rich

We had the same issue when we bought our 2015 T5 Se, the replacement bellows when fitted was was perfect.

We traded this vehicle for a T6 Ocean which we took delivery of 4 weeks ago (mainly to get DSG, but that's a long story ) , the replacement bellows made absolutely no difference to the trade in value, we got virtually the same as we paid for the vehicle and the bellows did not enter the conversation.

I hope this helps

As far as I can see the use of a bungy, beit on an Ocean or a Beach, will assist (that's not to say vigilance is not required in all cases) in keeping the canvas of the popup roof inside the closing mechanism/hinges and away from the outside extremity/lip of the aluminium lid and as such is worth considering as an addition.
The main risk with the Ocean appears to be the canvass being trapped in the scissors. A bungee might mitigate this risk.
The main risk with the Beach appears to be the canvass being trapped in the clamps. A bungee might increase this risk.

Agree with Amarillo - the Beach is a hands on affair - see the vid and method on page 1 - you need to do it manually all the way being vigilant and watching each step - rolling the material by hand behind the clips is essential. I don't see how a bungee thing helps, as you pull the roof down you watch the material come in and if it isn't you stop.

My dealer told be that a bungee would be no help with a Beach.
I have been using the bungee on my Beach for a few weeks. I do find it pulls the fabric well away from the scissor mechanism in a very obvious manner. The pulling in effect is quite substantial. In light of other comments I will double check there are no unintended consequences!

Agree with Amarillo - the Beach is a hands on affair - see the vid and method on page 1 - you need to do it manually all the way being vigilant and watching each step - rolling the material by hand behind the clips is essential. I don't see how a bungee thing helps, as you pull the roof down you watch the material come in and if it isn't you stop.
I can confirm that IMO the bungee does not assist with the clip end only the sides and scissor mechanism.

We have had the bungee on ours since first use and it certianly helps to pull in the canvas, you still need to be careful though, also I can't see how it will damage the canvas unless you plan to leave the roof up for several weeks on end as most of the time the bungee is not under tension when the roof is closed

I note the vid on page 1 is a T5 Beach. Is the roof canvas/mechanism the same on a T6 Beach? I just looked at and read the instructions supplied by VW for a T6 and it seems a lot less faff than appears to be the case in the video.

I note the vid on page 1 is a T5 Beach. Is the roof canvas/mechanism the same on a T6 Beach? I just looked at and read the instructions supplied by VW for a T6 and it seems a lot less faff than appears to be the case in the video.

Exactly the same AFAIK.

VW may give simpler instructions in the manual but anyone who has had a Beach and had it up and down endless times will know there is the right and safe/thorough way of doing it ( Not even received and repair required! ) or maybe a quicker pull and hope method done at your own peril:

If you don't check outside then the canvas may get trapped in the roof.

If you don't roll the fabric then the canvas may get nipped by the clip.

If you don't lift the buckles then the roller blind may catch on them and get damaged.

;)

Hopefully get some photos tomorrow, and I'm minded to visit at the weekend. Really appreciate all the rapid advice!

How are you getting on with the purchase, did you get the photos?

Dealer is VW Poole, I have found them very straight, open and honest.
Hi, I got mine from Poole and same as you the bellows needed replacing. I was concerned they would not do a good job. I went to pick up the van following replacement and they had not centred the bellows, ' there is a rib at the front of the bellows that runs top to bottom and should line up with the centre of the van, they had the rib an inch out at the bottom which looked bad and also created creases on the side of the bellows. I pointed this out and also showed them how it should look by looking at one in the showroom. They did it again and got it soot on. Check it before you take it away. I will post a picture. Sorry about picture quality but I am in Provence and sun is putting shadows on the bellows. They should have learnt from the initial mistake with mine and this was only a few weeks ago.

IMG_5149.JPG

How are you getting on with the purchase, did you get the photos?

Thank you all so much for the comprehensive advice, we decided, informed with all the information in this post too, that we were still massively excited - although disappointed to wait, content that Poole will replace the Bellow and we should be enjoying it by early June!! (Currently awaiting delivery from Germany - it is a dark blue bellow).

Thank you @CannonDale for your post too, I'm hoping they have learnt, I will definitely include this check on the thorough inspection I was planning on pick up - also an opportunity to start to get to grips with the safe packing routine!

After many years of consideration, we finally decided to buy what we have visualised to be a great family addition (new T6 Beach), our boys are now 5 and 2 and we believe a perfect age to start our enjoyment before teenage years hit! However, we have not even taken receipt and were informed today during dealer receipt checks that the Bellows require replacement - it appears to have been torn on one of the roof securing clips. This is a vehicle that we identified through showroom viewing, and avoided a lengthy waiting list for the exact desired specification, and it was very close. It is worth pointing out the VW branch have been very open and honest, and very considerate to our 'right to veto' should we not wish to proceed. We do not necessarily want to dismiss this Cali, however, I am concerned about a repair even before registration, and what the long term effect may be of having the Bellows replaced outside factory fit and any subsequent consequences (inevitable that this would fall outside of any warranty period.

Having only joined the VWCC last weekend, this is not my ideal first post, but I would be grateful of views / comments. Ultimately, we don't want to commit to something that has been visualised to be a great family experience, if we have to live with consequences down the road (no pun intended) which may be avoided by looking at another Cali (although we're massively disappointed to not be picking up on Saturday and using it straight away). We could be minded to keep searching / waiting / order our own spec for 2018 - but massively frustrated having taken some years to consider right timing etc. Advice / experience of this type of repair is most welcome to help our decision making. Thank you in advance.
I always feel that misfortunes can unfortunately happen but I judge the person/organisation by the way they deal with it. It appears to me that the dealer has bee very honest and open. We have no idea how may vehicles have parts like that replaced before they leave the factory.
I collected my new Cali Ocean last month and they had lost the keys to the water filler cap, but they promptly got a locksmith in (who tuned up shortly after we arrived) who drilled the old one out and the dealer replaced it with a new one from stores complete with keys. In both cases it is not as if it is a dent or scratch to the bodywork, that would concern me and a repair would not be acceptable.
Well done to your dealer for their attitude and to ours (Snows of Plymouth incidentally).

I always feel that misfortunes can unfortunately happen but I judge the person/organisation by the way they deal with it. It appears to me that the dealer has bee very honest and open. We have no idea how may vehicles have parts like that replaced before they leave the factory.
I collected my new Cali Ocean last month and they had lost the keys to the water filler cap, but they promptly got a locksmith in (who tuned up shortly after we arrived) who drilled the old one out and the dealer replaced it with a new one from stores complete with keys. In both cases it is not as if it is a dent or scratch to the bodywork, that would concern me and a repair would not be acceptable.
Well done to your dealer for their attitude and to ours (Snows of Plymouth incidentally).
Excuse the crudeness but "bang on" on the money for me. Yes poo happens but how it is dealt with is the mark of true customer service. Me? I would trust your dealer in this case.

Well, you have certainly had plenty of response! 5 1/2 years ago I too bought a demonstrator and later discovered a cut on the bellows. I suspect that it was done in the showroom but I can't be sure. It was the garage's first Cali and they hadn't had the training. The roof was up in the showroom and the salesman who showed me round it said there wasn't much headroom. He didn't even realise that the bed went up!!
Later the bellows was anyway changed as part of the paint blistering problem above the windscreen. This was done at VW's cost in Newcastle. The replacement has been problem free. However, the garage had done plenty of them as it was one of the few garages tasked with quite a number of these repairs.

Well, you have certainly had plenty of response! 5 1/2 years ago I too bought a demonstrator and later discovered a cut on the bellows. I suspect that it was done in the showroom but I can't be sure. It was the garage's first Cali and they hadn't had the training. The roof was up in the showroom and the salesman who showed me round it said there wasn't much headroom. He didn't even realise that the bed went up!!
Later the bellows was anyway changed as part of the paint blistering problem above the windscreen. This was done at VW's cost in Newcastle. The replacement has been problem free. However, the garage had done plenty of them as it was one of the few garages tasked with quite a number of these repairs.

I am certainly very thankful of the sensible and sound advice this forum has offered, can't wait to be enjoying the van and drawing upon everyones experiences to make best use of our Beach. Spoke to the garage today, they have already replaced the Bellows and looking forward to pickup!

Back