Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

(not quite) around the world in 80 days ...

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
But it is my 80th night in Alfie, I am on my own and in a bit of a reflective mood :D

Middle of November last year and I was a little apprehensive. Almost on a whim, in the space of about 12 hours, I had idly looked at an ad for a Cali, made contact, put my beloved Albert up for sale, had my buy offer accepted and sold Albert.

Picking it up, all those doubts. Albert had been virtually faultless, what if this one rattled like a box of spanners on the way home? Blew up? Fell apart?

A bit late leaving Droitwich for the 250 mile drive home so with my trusty britstops book found an overnight stop. A lovely restaurant, a locals bar, a warm welcome into the locals bar and that night saw me feeling my way over to Alfie, a bit unsteady, and very grateful that the T6 had been evolution not revolution as I fumbled about making the bed up for the first time :shocked

The drive home, the quick turnaround and another 500 mile trip proved to me what a delightful vehicle the Cali is. Nothing dramatically different to the T5 but improvements all the way through the van.

1,000 miles in and time to introduce Alfie to Angela. Our first trip towing the caravan and what was to become almost a monthly routine for 2018. The 300 mile dash North to visit Mum slowly deteriorating in a Pennine nursing home. Alfie has the dynamic chassis control, not something I would have ordered, and TBH I can't really tell what difference it makes except when towing. Whereas Albert felt soft and sloppy at the back Alfie is as solid as a rock.

Three times we went North when the Beast from the East was at his worst. Gale force winds, sleet, snow, all left Alfie totally untroubled, what a delightful trusty vehicle to be in when the going gets tough. Our first snowdrift, a deeply covered pennine road, also left me quite impressed with his new shoes, Michelin Cross-climates.

The sub zero nights, almost a fiendish joy camping in those: So snug and warm and safe and comfortable whilst the weather rages outside. My cocoon.

Then the Summer, Alfie my support vehicle for a running event in Ypres, followed by a 14 day trip with Angela, my Sister's caravan. My Sister and I and our dogs at last able to get the stored tables and chairs out and sit outside. Hot days, hot nights, but three big windows allowing the slightest breeze to blow through.

Then my son moving house. Alfie the removal vehicle. Bench seat furthest forward, my son astonished how much can be crammed into Alfie, helping with the move. The really nice touch, my Daughter in law saying "sorry we have no where for you to stay Jen, would be nice to at least offer you dinner and a glass of wine".... then noticing the broad grin on my face she looked at the "removal van" as it got transformed into my very comfortable bedroom. "Now, about that glass of wine .....".

So here we are now, in the beautiful City of Cardiff. Alfie once again my support vehicle for a running event, my first event since starting treatment for a chronic heel injury last May, and I am quite apprehensive to say the least. No problems though .... tonight will be a serene, comfortable sleep, tomorrow a rest day, at peace with my Alfie.

Last edited:
Great words...... & good luck with the run :)

Thanks Bill,

A little apprehensive, I've just walked 5k and my foot hurts ... but hey .... nothing ventured....

Thanks Bill,

A little apprehensive, I've just walked 5k and my foot hurts ... but hey .... nothing ventured....
Hi Granny Jen good luck tomorrow I’m sure you’ll be fine it might not be a PB though. I’m running the great north run next week we’re staying at the old Hartley site in Whitley Bay

Hi Granny Jen good luck tomorrow I’m sure you’ll be fine it might not be a PB though. I’m running the great north run next week we’re staying at the old Hartley site in Whitley Bay

Thank you and a reciprocal good luck for the GNR. One that is on my bucket list.

Thank you and a reciprocal good luck for the GNR. One that is on my bucket list.
Thanks this will be my second one. The Red Arrows fly past over the Tyne Bridge is quite something.

And how was Cardiff?

City or event? :D

The city, as always, was brilliant. What other city can boast a green heart like Cardiff's?

The event was great, brilliant, very enjoyable except for my poorly foot that decided to let me know around mile 5 that it was still poorly :sad

Anyway, hopefully back in a month for the Cardiff 1/2.

Last edited:
Back