Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Novel or mad way to use two zonesleeps? (upper & lower)

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
As generally I will only be using EITHER the downstairs OR the upstairs bed (rather than both at the same time) I wondered if there was a novel way to store and use the two zonesleeps toppers I've acquired, and avoid buying the thinner comfortz mattress for the top bed.

How about removing the upstairs mattress completely, and storing both zonesleeps up there?

If we choose to sleep upstairs, we sleep on top of both of them. If we want to sleep downstairs, we raise the roof (as we would be doing anyway), and when we are ready just pull down the 'lower' topper from the top (rather than from the rear parcel shelf).

If my mad plan were to work, I've saved the need to spend another £150 on the thinner comfortz mattress, and have freed up the rear parcel shelf of the daily storage of the lower zonesleep. It's one less item to store at home and pack each trip, as both toppers would always be in the van.

I did have quite a bit of wine last night so may have missed something very obvious. If I haven't, has anyone got any thoughts and has anyone tried it?

The matresses are different sizes. The top bed is very comfortable as is & I suggest you try it first. It will not be easy to move any matresse to the top bed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The matresses are different sizes.
Thanks Andy, I've got them laying on top of each other here. The 'upstairs' zonesleep is just 1" wider than the 'downstairs'. It's the same length, just lacks the cut-out - so that shouldn't be a problem when used upstairs.

It will not be easy to move any matresse to the top bed.
I think there are some (plenty?) here who drag the upstairs topper from downstairs each night, because they have chosen not to buy the replacement (thinner) comfortz mattress and therefore can't leave the zonesleep in place. In my mad plan, you'd have gravity with you when full of wine and deciding to sleep downstairs.

Last edited:
Just an update. I tried my mad idea today and both zonesleeps do fit with a similar (if slightly greater) gap than the original mattress.
So if you have 2 zonesleeps and only use one at a time, you can keep them both up there.
I must admit though, that during a very brief unscientific 1 min lie down on each set up, was hard to tell the difference between 2xzonesleeps and the standard set up.
Photos of the 2 set ups shown below. 20170611_153142.jpg 20170611_154426.jpg

Back