Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Now feeling very real, our T6 Ocean is in the country! Thinking about kitchen stuff - advice please

Z

zododo

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Very excited just been advised our T6 Ocean is now in the country so need to start thinking about kitchen stuff, don't want to put stuff in I won't use also thinking about space saving items, any tips on saucepans, kettles, anything else you put in for kitchen or storage of said stuffs please not wanting to buy excess things and over load - thanks

Very excited just been advised our T6 Ocean is now in the country so need to start thinking about kitchen stuff, don't want to put stuff in I won't use also thinking about space saving items, any tips on saucepans, kettles, anything else you put in for kitchen or storage of said stuffs please not wanting to buy excess things and over load - thanks
I just went through the same process. Hope this helps somewhat ... Ive bought tefal inbox saucepans and enamel tefal frying pan with detachable handles, this same a lot of room . There are low cost aluminium things for camping but there are health questions about these . Enamel plates and mugs from Halfords because I hate eating off plastic (use j cloths in between them for storage to stop any rattlers) they were 1.50 each on promo , very nice white and metal , matches the Cali . Camping set of forks and knifes in roll up pack ,£ 12.50 . Quality Coffee press 1/3rd ltr. Some little boxes to store salt , pepper sets. Can opener , wine opener , sharp knife set . Still look for kettle or may use saucepan. Lid for frying pan very important as fat spits go everywhere and especially could reach front seat .

Ohh how exciting. We got ours home last week... will list the stuff we used on the first night try out
Collapsible kettle
Salad spinner which doubles as a bowl, strainer and storage when on the move (top tip on a previous thread and it's pretty compact from John Lewis)
2x mugs
wine/beer glasses (fab ones from Waitrose, thought they were glass but are something else)
Forks, knives, tea spoons, sharp knife,
melamine plates & small bowls (sale from Sainsbury's)
Kitchen roll, foil, plastic bag bin liner,now bought a small bin from Tesco for £4
Mini BBQ (looks like a tiny suitcase and is perfect for 2)
Washing cloths and washing up liquid and anti bac ,dispensed into small bottles which are 100 MLS which are stored in the sink with the kettle and tea towel when on the move
Stored on the top of the pull out cutlery drawer, 2x bright coloured chopping boards to protect the glass top (£2.80 Tesco) and a cork board for anything hot.
Plastic boxes which business cards come in, for tea bags, sugar, herbs etc just the right size to stack in the cutlery draw,we took the cutlery tray out to give more space
We took existing pans to see how we got on and haven't felt the need to buy more yet.
That covered supper, breakfast and lunch the next day.

Upcycled stuff
Cutlery carrier made from fabric off cuts
Storage bags/pods made from old mole skin trousers! They fit 4x beer bottles, or 2x wine bottles = no rattling while travelling!
Will be adding a tray which I have glued felt to the bottom to stop it scratching the glass surface as a previous member posted how useful it was to be able to move stuff stored on the fridge. It fits into the cupboard and all sorts of bits store in it when on the move

IMG_4509.JPG IMG_4511.JPG
The dog cage doubled as another work surface...she didn't use it while the BBQ was on it!!
Looking forward to hearing about your adventures

You have a cutlery draw get some proper cutlery to put in it. Then add plates, bowls and side plates we use porcelain why use plastic or enamel just because you are camping. Nothing rattles. Then we have Tefal ingenio 3 pan set and a frying pan. Add to that a sieve and a few things like wooden spoons, can opener, whisk, tongs, 2 x sharp knives, potato peeler, 2 chopping boards and a collapsible kettle and we can prepare almost anything. And a Swiss Army Knife because it does lots of things.

Airline cutlery off Ebay. 18 pieces, 6 sets British Caledonian £10.

Orla Kiely plates, bowls, beakers.

Tefal Ingenio pan set, avoid the variant that slides about.

Duralex glasses. French, virtually unbreakable.

Stove top espresso make.

Muji polypropylene storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends how many there are of you:

For me, Solo or occasionally two of us, The cutlery drawer serves as my posh plate storage, two dinner plates, two large side plates fitting perfectly, along with a couple of cups, the Ingenio pan handle and the gas lighter. Disposable borgasse plates provide anti clatter material to be interleaved with the portmeirion.

Cupboard below is my ingenio frying pan, my Outwell collapsible casserole dish which nests perfectly into the Frying pan, two collapsible bowls, two tool rolls, one for cutlery and the other for cooking and general utensils such as scissors, sharp knives etc, lots of disposable cups (I actually prefer for tea and coffee), and below that are a couple of plastic food containers, my coffee press, tea, coffee, filter papers, etc.

We started with the basics and haven't yet added to the kitchen stuff - Outwell Feast saucepan set, Brunner plates, bowls and mugs (we like these as they are non-slip), plastic glasses, cutlery, plastic storage boxes (we bought a small nesting set from Lakeland), a couple of sharp knives, can opener and corkscrew!

We changed from backpacking to a campervan just over a year ago. We still use our Trangia 27 none-stick pans (they are functional and take up very little storage space) and a Trangia 2.5 litre Billy Can ( mainly for pasta and boiling spuds). We also use a Remoska cooker when we are going to use hook up. We cook a lot in the van - ranging from wholesome pasta based meals (arrabbiata with meatballs is my favourite) to BBQ chicken, new potatoes and fresh veg - and we just use the kit above - plus a couple of mini chopping boards and a collapsible colander.

You have a cutlery draw get some proper cutlery to put in it. Then add plates, bowls and side plates we use porcelain why use plastic or enamel just because you are camping. Nothing rattles. Then we have Tefal ingenio 3 pan set and a frying pan. Add to that a sieve and a few things like wooden spoons, can opener, whisk, tongs, 2 x sharp knives, potato peeler, 2 chopping boards and a collapsible kettle and we can prepare almost anything. And a Swiss Army Knife because it does lots of things.
Was looking at ingenio saucepans so pleased to see several mention on here thanks. What make collapsible kettle do you have a been looking but wasn't sure

Thanks everyone for your tips, it's all feeling like a dream at the moment, so so excited trying not to wish away the time until next Sat!

We changed from backpacking to a campervan just over a year ago. We still use our Trangia 27 none-stick pans (they are functional and take up very little storage space) and a Trangia 2.5 litre Billy Can ( mainly for pasta and boiling spuds). We also use a Remoska cooker when we are going to use hook up. We cook a lot in the van - ranging from wholesome pasta based meals (arrabbiata with meatballs is my favourite) to BBQ chicken, new potatoes and fresh veg - and we just use the kit above - plus a couple of mini chopping boards and a collapsible colander.
The collapsible colander is so far one of the things I've bought, was trying to work through what I mainly use whilst camping, didn't want to load with useless things

OK, here's what is in mine:
One large Stellar 7000 sauce pan with straining lid (pasta, spätzle); one medium Stellar as above, one small teflon sauce pan. One small griddle in case of no electricity. One hob kettle, one small electric kettle, Delonghi Nespresso machine, one plunger coffee in case of no electricity. One large electric griddle. 4xknives, spoons, forks, cheese knives, teaspoons. One med size knife. 3xegg cups and spoons. 3xHammerplast plates, small bowls and med salad bowl. A small panini. 3xwine / champers glasses;
L' Albarset tumblers. 3xcoffee cups/saucers. Tea pot, sugar/milk jug. Stainless steel flower vase. Cheese board. Dyson hand held vaccum. 6x collapsible dog bowls.
Vino.

Back