Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

O.S. online mapping offer.

EddieEagle

EddieEagle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just looked at the O.S. online U.K. map offer. £20 p.a. for maps which looks like a deal??
Anyone else using these downloadable maps with any feedback on the service.
The thought of all the possibilities for wandering about with I Pad pre loaded is tempting me, or should I stick to paper?

I use the ViewRanger app on my Android mobile and love it. They split everything into tiles (smaller than the OS maps) and you pay per tile (£6 for 400 credits and each tile is 20 credits, less than that for coastal tiles), but you then own the tiles and don't have to pay an annual fee. Then all available offline and will track your route, and I think much more besides but I don't...

You can get a 7-day free trial if you wanted to give the service a workout before making a commitment. They also do a £3.99/month subscription that you can turn on and off as required. More expensive across the year, but you might only need the maps a few times a year. Unlike ViewRanger you always have the latest editions of the maps - not that walking areas change frequently. You also get access to all scales - 1:25k being my favourite. The App allows you to do most things, including tracking a walk but if you fancy a bit of old fashioned mouse-based interaction with the service you can log into your account and create routes through your web browser too, this syncs back to your iPad too.

Would be daft not to try it then!
Thank you for the usual quick and helpful feedback..

OS maps is great all 204 land ranger and 403 explorer maps updated daily (paper goes out of date) download to offline for use anytime, create routes find routes, print what you need, use on desktop/laptop or where ever you sign in or the phone app......gps find me...gpx import export - now with 1.1m 1.125k as wll as 1.50k landranger and 1.25k explorer..... YES I have OS maps

You can get a 7-day free trial if you wanted to give the service a workout before making a commitment. They also do a £3.99/month subscription that you can turn on and off as required. More expensive across the year, but you might only need the maps a few times a year. Unlike ViewRanger you always have the latest editions of the maps - not that walking areas change frequently. You also get access to all scales - 1:25k being my favourite. The App allows you to do most things, including tracking a walk but if you fancy a bit of old fashioned mouse-based interaction with the service you can log into your account and create routes through your web browser too, this syncs back to your iPad too.

1:25 is on ViewRanger too... 'tis the only scale I'd use...

Am on a Windows Nokia brick of a phone so has to be on I pad.
Now if I sell a kidney I could buy the new I phone X box.......
Or become a fly and stick to paper?
Perhaps I should get out more!!

Always thought MM was a bit pricey. You can have the OS Maps on an annual subscription for five years for the cost of the 1:25k Southern England map on MM. Eek. And the OS Maps are always the most current ones.
yep 10 thousand updates a week to the digital maps.......

One year subscription for OS Maps is £24 (unless you do auto-renew), but if you subscribe to a walking magazine such as 'Trail Magazine' or 'Country Walking', you get a years OS subscription included.

It's more expensive of course, but if you interested in the magazines anyway, might be worth considering.

So do OS have an app for the iPad that can download the maps that you have subscribed onto that and have your location georeferenced on it etc?

So do OS have an app for the iPad that can download the maps that you have subscribed onto that and have your location georeferenced on it etc?

Sure does. Linked to an online account so you can also use your desktop/laptop to plan routes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the ViewRanger app on my Android mobile and love it. They split everything into tiles (smaller than the OS maps) and you pay per tile (£6 for 400 credits and each tile is 20 credits, less than that for coastal tiles), but you then own the tiles and don't have to pay an annual fee. Then all available offline and will track your route, and I think much more besides but I don't...
I'm with you...view ranger...i seem to manage for free.....anywhere In Europe....loads of route suggestions

I have been advised if you purchase an actual OS map you are able to download the digital map via a barcode presumably for ever!

Yep most modern OS maps have a little scratch off lottery ticket type thingy which gives you access to the online equivalent.

You can get digital OS maps for free via bing maps https://www.bing.com/maps if you change the map type in the top right corner you can chose Maps - Aerial - Birds Eye - Street and OS. When you switch it to OS the map will look the same but when you start zooming in you will soon see the familiar landranger format - keep zooming and you will get the explorer format.

Not a flexible as the full subscription, but good for research, and if you are handy with cut and paste you can make a map of the required area.

Tony

Tee boy,
Yep most modern OS maps have a little scratch off lottery ticket type thingy which gives you access to the online equivalent.

You can get digital OS maps for free via bing maps https://www.bing.com/maps if you change the map type in the top right corner you can chose Maps - Aerial - Birds Eye - Street and OS. When you switch it to OS the map will look the same but when you start zooming in you will soon see the familiar landranger format - keep zooming and you will get the explorer format.

Not a flexible as the full subscription, but good for research, and if you are handy with cut and paste you can make a map of the required area.

Tony

Many thanks for that I certainly will try that out!