Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean 6.1 Interior Lighting Question - Dealer and I baffled!

Renaissance-Man

Renaissance-Man

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi folks,
My Cali has just spent 3 days at the dealer (after an earlier visit failed to fix an issue with the interior lighting whereby the cab lights - driver/passenger - would not come on). Apparently there was a broken wire and it left the factory like that! OK, so that's sorted.

Now I have query about the lights when opening any door. On mine, all the lights come on and whilst I can switch of the cab lights so they don't come on, I cannot switch of the rear. This seems very odd to me. Can anyone check on their 6.1 Ocean or does anyone already know the answer?

In my mind, if using the van for daily driving, the button next to the mirror for there rear lights should isolate the living space lights and ensure these do not turn on when opening a door. That's also what I got from Californias Chris' Youtube video. But my dealer disputes this.

I would appreciate some voices of sanity from the forum please!

Hi folks,
My Cali has just spent 3 days at the dealer (after an earlier visit failed to fix an issue with the interior lighting whereby the cab lights - driver/passenger - would not come on). Apparently there was a broken wire and it left the factory like that! OK, so that's sorted.

Now I have query about the lights when opening any door. On mine, all the lights come on and whilst I can switch of the cab lights so they don't come on, I cannot switch of the rear. This seems very odd to me. Can anyone check on their 6.1 Ocean or does anyone already know the answer?

In my mind, if using the van for daily driving, the button next to the mirror for there rear lights should isolate the living space lights and ensure these do not turn on when opening a door. That's also what I got from Californias Chris' Youtube video. But my dealer disputes this.

Afternoon,

I think that is the default behavior.

does Cali Chris' video help at all?

Afternoon,

I think that is the default behavior.

does Cali Chris' video help at all?

Chris' video is ambiguous as he suggests that the rear lights can be isolated from the front but then fails to show this in action when going through the controls so we are left not knowing. Even the dealer watched the video as they have no idea!

If it is the default behaviour and the rear lights automatically come on when a door is opened and this cannot be stopped then all good and well. But I simply don't know so if anyone can provide the definitive answer that would be great

Hi folks,

The button next to the mirror that you refer to pops the rear lights on when driving, should the rear seat passengers require them. That is my understanding. I am not aware of a way to disable them from coming on when the door is opened. Let us know if you find a way.

The button next to the mirror that you refer to pops the rear lights on when driving, should the rear seat passengers require them. That is my understanding. I am not aware of a way to disable them from coming on when the door is opened. Let us know if you find a way.
Thanks for that. I am getting the same sense that that is all that button does. Very odd, but as others have already said, the Cali lights are a law unto themselves!

Go into Camping on control panel and tick off ‘Living area light when opening’

Go into Camping on control panel and tick off ‘Living area light when opening’
Thought that was just a camping mode option? And camping mode is disabled everytime you drive the van? Am I wrong?

Thought that was just a camping mode option? And camping mode is disabled everytime you drive the van? Am I wrong?
You are correct. It is a way of disabling them from coming on when you open a door though