Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean Fridge wont stay on

S

Steve Slater

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The fridge in my Cali will not stay on. Very often it will stay on until the vehicle is started or in motion then goes off. It has just been into a VW van centre for nearly two weeks and had extensive checks done and had a new alternator fitted and they thought that had cured it. I picked it up and drove home and the fridge went off again. Has anyone any ideas as VW are struggling

The fridge in my Cali will not stay on. Very often it will stay on until the vehicle is started or in motion then goes off. It has just been into a VW van centre for nearly two weeks and had extensive checks done and had a new alternator fitted and they thought that had cured it. I picked it up and drove home and the fridge went off again. Has anyone any ideas as VW are struggling
1 What temperature is it set on?

2. Are there any Diagnostic Codes saved on the Control Panel?

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater

5 = 5 = Fresh water

6 = 6 = Outside temperature

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof

1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof

1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"

1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"

2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off

2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off

2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30

3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox

3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox

3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"

3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"

3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"

4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure

5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure

6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature

6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

5 = 5 = Fresh water

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature
The temp is usually set at level 3, no error code when VW engineer checked. All wiring has been checked

Access as follows:

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

5 = 5 = Fresh water

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

Temp set usually at level 3, no error codes when VW engineer checked. All wiring and batteries checked. Low voltage was detected at control panel thats why a new alternator fitted, also a new shunt fuse fitted under fridge. Extensive electrical checks have been done and he thought the problem was cured, but the light and the snow flake on the control panel keep going off. The engineer was under the impression that the fridge was going off when it got to temperature, but that doesnt seem logical to me, am I wrong?

The temp is usually set at level 3, no error code when VW engineer checked. All wiring has been checked

Temp set usually at level 3, no error codes when VW engineer checked. All wiring and batteries checked. Low voltage was detected at control panel thats why a new alternator fitted, also a new shunt fuse fitted under fridge. Extensive electrical checks have been done and he thought the problem was cured, but the light and the snow flake on the control panel keep going off. The engineer was under the impression that the fridge was going off when it got to temperature, but that doesnt seem logical to me, am I wrong?
The vehicle is only 7 months old and it has been doing this from new, but because of covid I have not been able to get it in to be looked at until now.

The vehicle is only 7 months old and it has been doing this from new, but because of covid I have not been able to get it in to be looked at until now.
I would suggest setting it to Level 5 and try. Level 3 on mine is barely below ambient temperature, so your fridge could be switching Off because it doesn’t need to do anything. Especially if the fridge is empty.

If that's the case, then i think @Jabberwocky had a similar problem
when he picked his up last year, and there were a few others so you're not
alone.
Maybe he can point you to the problem.

when the fridge switches off the compressor at temperature the orange light on the panel stays on. or it should do

I had a problem with the orange light going off, it was because of someting frozen next to the sensor so maybe if the sensor is reading outside of the normal operating range the orange light goes out.
In this case the NTC sensor could be reading wrong value.
Simply remove the cover off the sensor it should reveal the sensor[20mm x 4mm stainless steel tube] and warm it up with your hand ,does it bring the fridge on? If it is this, they are about £2 ebay,you will have to join it because it terminates at the overhead controler ,

I had a problem with the orange light going off, it was because of someting frozen next to the sensor so maybe if the sensor is reading outside of the normal operating range the orange light goes out.
In this case the NTC sensor could be reading wrong value.
Simply remove the cover off the sensor it should reveal the sensor[20mm x 4mm stainless steel tube] and warm it up with your hand ,does it bring the fridge on? If it is this, they are about £2 ebay,you will have to join it because it terminates at the overhead controler ,
Does the orange light remain on until the fridge is turned off, VW Preston does not know this answer.

Hi, @Steve Slater, the good news is that my fridge is working now with no major drama.
First, I agree with @WelshGas. Set your fridge level at 5 or higher. Set at 3 or lower it may not be high enough to require the fridge/compressor to switch on. Do not confuse not being able to hear the compressor working with the fridge not working.
The fridge light on the control panel should stay orange unless you switch it off no matter what temp you set it to work at.

Anyway eventually my fridge fault was fixed under warranty with the replacement of the "control unit" and "relay" - see the following link. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fridge-permanently-switched-on.31205/post-367019
You can see in the thread that various folks were involved in tracking down the problem. Great combined effort. The results of a great forum!
I'm sure your fridge will soon be fixed. For whats its worth my dealer was/is (they are a long way from you but only a phone call away - why not ask your mechanic to contact them if they are stumped?)

https://www.swanswaygarages.com/volkswagen-commercial/contact-us/birmingham/

All the best, and keep us updated.

Does the orange light remain on until the fridge is turned off, VW Preston does not know this answer.
The orange light should not go out unless you switch it off.

Hi, @Steve Slater, the good news is that my fridge is working now with no major drama.
First, I agree with @WelshGas. Set your fridge level at 5 or higher. Set at 3 or lower it may not be high enough to require the fridge/compressor to switch on. Do not confuse not being able to hear the compressor working with the fridge not working.
The fridge light on the control panel should stay orange unless you switch it off no matter what temp you set it to work at.

Anyway eventually my fridge fault was fixed under warranty with the replacement of the "control unit" and "relay" - see the following link. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fridge-permanently-switched-on.31205/post-367019
You can see in the thread that various folks were involved in tracking down the problem. Great combined effort. The results of a great forum!
I'm sure your fridge will soon be fixed. For whats its worth my dealer was/is (they are a long way from you but only a phone call away - why not ask your mechanic to contact them if they are stumped?)

https://www.swanswaygarages.com/volkswagen-commercial/contact-us/birmingham/

All the best, and keep us updated.
Thanks, I think it must be the same group because it is Swansway at Preston

Back