Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean Media Infotainment Centre

P

Pixcels

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We bought our new Ocean late 2019 but due to circumstances that you all are aware of ! we have not really had a chance to enjoy it.
One thing that bugs my wife and I, (mainly my wife) is the incomprehensible "infotainment,media,navigation,radio" system.
The manual seems to be written by a dyslexic robot, and with very little hands on real-life experience to go on it presents a challenge every time we get in the Cali.
Has anyone found a user friendly manual or YouTube video that takes you through all the intricacies of the system - I feel we are missing out on so much.
Apple Car Play !? Is that a thing ?
Voice commands - What ? How ? Why ?
Oh and the clock is till stuck on winter time ...

Never looked at the manual but never had any difficulty with the head unit. It’s all pretty intuitive.
Apple car play just works when you plug your phone in, really is quite simple.
Have you changed the clock on the dashboard using the buttons to the left of the Rev counter?
I see you are unhappy with the tailgate too (from a separate thread) sorry you seem so frustrated with your California.

Never looked at the manual but never had any difficulty with the head unit. It’s all pretty intuitive.
Apple car play just works when you plug your phone in, really is quite simple.
Have you changed the clock on the dashboard using the buttons to the left of the Rev counter?
I see you are unhappy with the tailgate too (from a separate thread) sorry you seem so frustrated with your California.
Spent my youth and young dad years in V Dubs and life was simple if not terribly refined.
The new Ocean is lovely; a long awaited dream but it is a different beast.
Perhaps it's even too refined; however we will get the hang of it.
I have spent my life with technology but must say the media centre fills me with dread everytime I turn it on.
There are so many options and opportunities and the manual that accompanied the van does little to dispel the confusion. It is so badly written that even simple tasks are made complicated.
Was hoping to find a straight talking expert online somewhere who manages to guide us through the intricacies.
As for the tailgate - I appreciate the reason why it is difficult to raise/lower (and the seat storage is great) but it is a problem. During the cold months when all we could do was go out and pat the sides of our new 'baby' and sit inside and play with the controls, dreaming of when we could get out and tour the world, then trying to raise and lower the tailgate was a real chore.
Really surprised that VW with all their tech expertise hadn't thought of a way to 'power' it.
I'm told it's easier when the door is warm, well that alone tells me that something could be done to improve the operation.
Hey ho - guess I'll live with that minor problem.

Spent my youth and young dad years in V Dubs and life was simple if not terribly refined.
The new Ocean is lovely; a long awaited dream but it is a different beast.
Perhaps it's even too refined; however we will get the hang of it.
I have spent my life with technology but must say the media centre fills me with dread everytime I turn it on.
There are so many options and opportunities and the manual that accompanied the van does little to dispel the confusion. It is so badly written that even simple tasks are made complicated.
Was hoping to find a straight talking expert online somewhere who manages to guide us through the intricacies.
As for the tailgate - I appreciate the reason why it is difficult to raise/lower (and the seat storage is great) but it is a problem. During the cold months when all we could do was go out and pat the sides of our new 'baby' and sit inside and play with the controls, dreaming of when we could get out and tour the world, then trying to raise and lower the tailgate was a real chore.
Really surprised that VW with all their tech expertise hadn't thought of a way to 'power' it.
I'm told it's easier when the door is warm, well that alone tells me that something could be done to improve the operation.
Hey ho - guess I'll live with that minor problem.
Hi Pixcels

Tailgate electrically operated,

These guys have video of functionality, search the site for car play etc.

Changing the time / date etc can be done through the MFSW

We’re you not shown these things at hand over ?

Voice commands must be turned on, it is a paid for option

If it’s not activated you cannot use it

I had mine activated at Sat nav Systems- see post above

I think you will find it is for the Transporter only, not the California, because of the weight.
I suspect so, I would imagine you loose all the rear trim, but I was highlighting the possibility only.

Voice commands must be turned on, it is a paid for option

If it’s not activated you cannot use it

I had mine activated at Sat nav Systems- see post above
Did it cost much to activate Perfectos? I had never noticed the voice button until I was reading this. Wonder what else I've missed, you'll be telling me next the roof is electro hydraulic and the mirrors fold eletrically.

Did it cost much to activate Perfectos? I had never noticed the voice button until I was reading this. Wonder what else I've missed, you'll be telling me next the roof is electro hydraulic and the mirrors fold eletrically.
I had it activated when they fitted my tow bar it was FOC

Vw charge:

You can also get an update Sd card from SatNav Systems to show speed cameras

It’s on their website , I think £10 ( they exchange your SD card and load the latest maps) again VW charge.

It’s £30 - £60

Last edited:

If you use Apple Car Play (and perhaps Android Auto?) the voice activation button activates Siri. Press and hold and then you can say “Give me directions to home” and Siri will tell you about the price of dog bones.

More seriously, it does work quite well.

We had the equivalent factory audio system in a Skoda Yeti with the voice commands active. It was useless.

Back