Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ODBeleven

vanmarr

vanmarr

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi,

Wanted to add something new to the mix.

I bought the ODBeleven dongle for the Cali (works on all cars from the VAG group)
(For android devices only)
Veriy similar in use as Carista, you can get deeper into the system, very much like VCSD (VCSD is still better) .

changed a few things alread that were already mentioned in other parts of the Forum.

Locking
Coming Home Leaving Home

etc.

One thing I really liked was the option to change the preheater setting so it warms the engine too.

Cheap to buy and excellent support.

https://obdeleven.com/

Great forum with complete listings of codes etc.

Normaly the preheater heats the interior, uses the same circuit as the engine cooling system.

The valve 279 is activated so the heat is directed into the interior and not the engine (you need a warm inside of the van and don't car about the engine when camping)

However you can program it so it does not use the valve.

Value 5401 -5001

This change makes the car think the valve is not built in and will heat engine and interior.

Offcourse it will take more time but is good for your engine during the cold period.

With the ODBeleven module it is easily activated and de-activted

Normaly the preheater heats the interior, uses the same circuit as the engine cooling system.

The valve 279 is activated so the heat is directed into the interior and not the engine (you need a warm inside of the van and don't car about the engine when camping)

However you can program it so it does not use the valve.

Value 5401 -5001

This change makes the car think the valve is not built in and will heat engine and interior.

Offcourse it will take more time but is good for your engine during the cold period.

With the ODBeleven module it is easily activated and de-activted
Sorry but I don't get this.
My Diesel Parking Heater is an air heater and heats just the Interior with NO effect on the Engine and runs off the Leisure Batteries .
The Engine Heater, heats ONLY the engine via the coolant system, and runs off the Engine battery. It uses a lot more electrical power than the Parking Heater and normally only runs once the Engine is started and if the Ambient Temperature is below 5c.
Why would I want to use this heater in preference to the Parking Heater to heat the Interior and risk flattening the Starter Battery?

Unless of course you have a different heating system than standard.

You do have 2 Diesel heaters? a Webasto for the engine and an Eberspacher for the Interior?

WG, I agree with your confusion but your post it ambiguous perhaps?

Are you saying there is an engine coolant heater that is electrical , and run from the starter battery.....

Or

Is there a Webasto coolant heater that is diesel powered.
(This is how I understood it).

I could understand how the later could be configured to blow hot air into the driving cabin via the heater matrix.

Apologise, I misread a German Forum, it is the warmwater heater that can be re-programmed to heat the interior too.

The one in the Cali Ocean cannot.

My bad.

Still not sure about this.
Do you mean that the what we know as the engine heater can be programmed so that once the engine coolant is up to temperature it will turn on the interior heating system, ie Climatic/Climatronic?
If so and you haven't got the diesel interior heater as is standard on the SE/Ocean I can see the point of it.

My previous Touareg had the engine preheater and this also heated the cabin, but it also ran the blower motor to heat the cabin effectively.

As said above, on the Cali, it only does the coolant heating boost with the engine running.. not sure much use this is without another remote either..

WG, I agree with your confusion but your post it ambiguous perhaps?

Are you saying there is an engine coolant heater that is electrical , and run from the starter battery.....

Or

Is there a Webasto coolant heater that is diesel powered.
(This is how I understood it).

I could understand how the later could be configured to blow hot air into the driving cabin via the heater matrix.
The Webasto Coolant Heater is Diesel BUT requires a lot more Electrical Power from the Starter Battery to run the built in Water Pump, than the Eberspacher Parking Heater to run it's fan.

You can get a kit to Turn the Webasto Heater on by Remote control before engine start but they recommend only for a maximum 30 mins or you'll end up with a flat Starter battery. That is why in Auto function it only runs AFTER Engine start so it is basically powered by the Alternator.

Still not sure about this.
Do you mean that the what we know as the engine heater can be programmed so that once the engine coolant is up to temperature it will turn on the interior heating system, ie Climatic/Climatronic?
If so and you haven't got the diesel interior heater as is standard on the SE/Ocean I can see the point of it.

Indeed

The Webasto Coolant Heater is Diesel BUT requires a lot more Electrical Power from the Starter Battery to run the built in Water Pump, than the Eberspacher Parking Heater to run it's fan.

You can get a kit to Turn the Webasto Heater on by Remote control before engine start but they recommend only for a maximum 30 mins or you'll end up with a flat Starter battery. That is why in Auto function it only runs AFTER Engine start so it is basically powered by the Alternator.
I've been puzzled by the Coolant Heater for ages, trying to work out how it could "preheat" and not flatten the battery and/or empty the fuel tank!
Now all is clear, thanks.

I was under the impression there was a mixed up from the first post on , but now @vanmarr is cleared out his misunderstanding i must say it is not that special for the coolant heater to heat up the cabin also , sure it can be programmed to do so
But it is not suppose to do this and thats why it is not progammed this way , due the fact it will ruin your (engine)battery becose even more power is needed , you also would need to be sure the vents are open or else no use blowing air into the cabin area.
If you change this setting by yourself i don't know of it is that clever doing it....

Other thing is , if the coolant pre-heater has heated up the coolant it only takes a few mintutes to warm up the cabin once the engine is started as you start-up a pre-heated engine....so that problem is solved anyhow...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Loz
@vanmarr Any more on your obdeleven experiences? This thread got a bit sidelined on the heater issue...

After being disappointed with the range of options and monitoring from Carista, I ordered obdeleven Pro, which arrived on Friday.

Price is very competitive €54.99 for the pro, which is the dongle and Pro code for the app, compared with £33 for an annual subscription of Carista (on top of the £25-30 for the hardware).

Whilst Carista just has a few pages of simple toggle choices, Obdeleven digs deeper - full info on the vehicle is reported, history of changes, opportunity to back up before fiddling, live readings of many of the sensors vehicles rely on, and some serious tweaking opportunities, if your feeling brave enough, with Vag-com type Programming (coding, long coding, adaptation, along with Basic settings) some requiring just a few choices, others best left for the expert or brave!

Faults are shown after a scan, with a button to take you to a Google search on the code that was read. Faults can, of course, be reset.

Charts can be produced from live readings.

Reports and output can be emailed from the app too.

So far I have changed the volume of the rear parking sensors beep as a 'safe' test.

I will take my time and get a few screen shots, etc on the forum, but very impressed with my first look.

Back