Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OEM Thermotop C adapting to parking heater?

D

Dave123

Vehicle
T5 Beach
I was planning to get a Webasto air parking heater fitted on my T5 Beach when the engineer has just called to say that there's no need for a new heater as he can adapt the existing OEM thermotop C that's fitted so that it functions as a night heater, for about 400 quid less than getting a new one fitted. Never heard of this before - I thought the Beach needed a whole new heater fitted to work when parking? Has anyone done this and does it work as well as getting a dedicated parking heater fitted?

Yes can be done i did mine. Search site & google for "telestart T91". polish site sells the kit I fitted. In truck so can not give you the web site but is on a thread that above search should find.

Only downside is it will use engine battery. So only worth using when on EHU.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I was planning to get a Webasto air parking heater fitted on my T5 Beach when the engineer has just called to say that there's no need for a new heater as he can adapt the existing OEM thermotop C that's fitted so that it functions as a night heater, for about 400 quid less than getting a new one fitted. Never heard of this before - I thought the Beach needed a whole new heater fitted to work when parking? Has anyone done this and does it work as well as getting a dedicated parking heater fitted?
Be Careful. The Webasto Heater fitted warms the Engine Coolant. It can be adapted to heat the Engine and the interior BUT it is normally run off the engine battery and normally only runs when the engine is running as it is power hungry. If adapted it should only run for short periods eg: 30 mins or so as it can easily flatten the engine battery if relying on just the battery.
The Diesel Parking heater is much more frugal in power use, runs off the Leisure Battery and can run all night as it is also temperature controlled.

Never timed mine so Don,t know how long it runs for.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have the air heater but would love to be able to defrost windows and warm engine winter time. Anyone fitted this controller to a California!

I have the air heater but would love to be able to defrost windows and warm engine winter time. Anyone fitted this controller to a California!

Yes, I did that 3 years ago, installed Webasto T100 HTM Telestart. This kit comes with a remote. I can now manually start/stop the engine heater (Webasto ThermoTop C) up to 120 min before I start the engine (1000 meter). This works brilliant. I live in Norway and we have temperatures down to -20 to -30 degrees celcius in the winter. If I stop for a couple of minutes at a store and switch the engine of, the Webasto keeps on going and don’t stop/start over and over again. The automatic function also still works, so if someone borrow the car, the Webasto will start as normal/original set up. Different kits can be bought at eBay or at carsystems.(something). Installing the kit is easy if you are a handy man and do some service your self. The hardest thing is to connect the new wire to the Webasto underneath the car.
I use the ThermoTop primarily to heat the engine (I switch of the ventilation system to divert all the heat to the engine). To heat the passenger area or to defrost windows, the AirTop (auxiliary heater) is more effective.