Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off Grid Electrics

D

Dave Wickham

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Evening all. Having researched the use of appliances like kettles and microwaves, either 12V or 230V (via an inverter) for off-grid camping, it appears that the reality is its not a good idea, even with fitted solar panels. You need a large inverter and it will drain the leisure batteries very quickly. So stick to EHU or use gas to cook with?

Gas or wood burner. To be honest gas is the preferred option - no mess and less likely to upset the locals. Discreet and the less visible the better in these times.

Evening all. Having researched the use of appliances like kettles and microwaves, either 12V or 230V (via an inverter) for off-grid camping, it appears that the reality is its not a good idea, even with fitted solar panels. You need a large inverter and it will drain the leisure batteries very quickly. So stick to EHU or use gas to cook with?
Doesn’t the 6.1 come with a 300w inverter? So you could run some kettles and microwaves briefly, or eg slow cookers/ninjas for longer periods, especially with solar feeding the batteries?

These are useful, inexpensive and easily stored.

View attachment 75250
I take one of these plus a double electric hot plate when on hook up.
TBH I use it outdoors to cook when the weathers good and it brilliant (I use it more than my cadac)

We use a smallish travel kettle when on hook up - works a test for us :thumb

Yes, that's the best way, unless you can camp next to
one of these fekers.
View attachment 75244View attachment 75243
I found the noise from the blades both spooky and not a relaxing whoomp-whoomp etc.
:Nailbiting

Ultimate option is to use a portable generator as and when power is required. Honda comes out as the top rated product.
Negative being need for fuel and storage space. Always a price to pay for anything other than Cali factory fitted facilities.

Note this an American review where Gas is actually Petrol.

I take one of these plus a double electric hot plate when on hook up.
TBH I use it outdoors to cook when the weathers good and it brilliant (I use it more than my cadac)
Still using ours from years of camping. When they give up I might look at something else, but they work great.

Limited cooking on 2 gas rings. Another cooking source would help, hence my original query. Still, it is what it is.
EHU or gas, that's indeed the answer. Is there a particular reason you find 2 gasrings limited cooking? Even when cooking serious meals for guests at home Ialmost never seem to need more then 2 rings at a time.

We always bring a very small (backpacking-style) single-ring gas stove as a backup and a way of cooking outside (steaks, bacon, pancakes, etc).

yawn. lockdown is dragging eh. i can't think of any dumber qustions

I can,

I'm a bit bemused by some of the answers though, using a double electric hot plate when off grid, when you have a gas hob specifically designed for that seems a bit strange.

Also why carry a generator? I can understand a bigger inverter if you must have a 240v microwave & then rather than a noisy generator just start your engine to top up the batteries.

I’m afraid I subscribe to the idea that less is more when camp cooking. I use two stove pots/pans max., and prefer one if I can get away with it! Less time prepping, cooking and last but not least, less time washing up!

I have one of the gas burners in the boot simply because sometimes I want to sit outside whilst cooking, be it with a glass of wine watching a sunset or just chatting with my family after a lovely day of adventures. I don’t want to feel that either my husband or I have to be sat inside, on our own, cooking whilst the others are sitting enjoying the last of the sunshine.

I prefer life when things are simple, but understand that isn’t the same for everyone.

if you need more electrical power in your van you could try a Jackery Portable Power Station. Video is of the US 110V version but they are now available in the UK with 240V AC output. Never used one myself, or seen the need, but have been told by a good friend that they are excellent.

It’s a shame that the webasto diesel heater hasn’t been developed to produce voltage too, perhaps by means of a Stirling engine. It would be great to have a compact ‘under the bonnet’ solution for off grid power.

that has 150W AC output. Nothing is going to be cooked with that little power.
Bigger units, up to 1000W, more in the region of a grand in terms of cost, will still only allow to "warm up" at 1000W .
Bottom line, producing heat out of batteries for camping is the worst idea.
There must be a reason why all motorhomes/campervan have gas bottles (various sizes) or diesel to produce heating or cooking.

that has 150W AC output. Nothing is going to be cooked with that little power.
Bigger units, up to 1000W, more in the region of a grand in terms of cost, will still only allow to "warm up" at 1000W .
Bottom line, producing heat out of batteries for camping is the worst idea.
There must be a reason why all motorhomes/campervan have gas bottles (various sizes) or diesel to produce heating or cooking.
You are absolutely correct, heat or cooling from a battery is always going to be a challenge. I see that in the most recent Caravan & Motorhome Magazine there is an advert for a 12v air conditioner. I remain sceptical!

It looks a very good unit and you have done a lot of research. I'm looking to get something similar to work with the solar panel I bought to keep the leisure battery topped up during our lockdowns! It should enable you to charge bikes and golf trolleys (lithium) using the 240V a/s option.

Back