Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off hook up stays and portable solar panels

Judyl

Judyl

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I will be going to a 6 day meet in April minus hookup, and I may not be able to move the cali off the field if the weather is wet. The organisers have said that they will restrict movement to protect the sports field. So I am wondering how I will fare with my battery for 6 days, I will want to run the fridge and probably the heater too. Would a portable solar array help , how do these connect to the electrical system. I do not have any DIY skills unfortunately. They do not allow generators on the site. Any tips ????

At COTF last year , there was a guy who had a solar panel foldable in a case , had it connected to the batterie and it was sitting next to his Beach on the ground.
D'ont know what it was or who he was , maybe anyone else knows...
I had a few words with him , but don't know if he vistis the forum frequently

You can get portable panels which connect directly to the battery - find them in any caravan shop. You can then connect to the leisure battery through the tailgate. A more permanent solution needs a bit more thought as without a voltage regulator you could damage the battery by over charging.

I've seen those portable solar panels, getting better and better, fold up to the size of a small briefcase.

6 days is a long time to depend on battery power. Sods law says it will be hot rather than cold and you will have lots of evening visitors when you really want only one LED on.

The engine generator is pretty efficient, but not for that charging event. I personally would google portable solar power.

I would think that running the engine for an hour a day would put loads more energy back into the batteries than a solar panel - unless you get a giant posh one - and have lots of sun.

However do it every day - don't wait for them to go flat first.

This will also have the benefit of charging the engine battery.

If you do this during the day I don't think many would complain

T

Are there any lampposts nearby???

:D

You could run the engine, that's what you often do in a yacht but low load (idle) running is generally not recommended and is inefficient. If you have an automatic, I always thought running them at idle for too long wasn't good but don't quote me on this.

That said running the engine will work. The alternator and its regulator will ensure the batteries are not damaged. Engine battery should not go down in 6 days - unless you have an electric sliding door...:talktothehand

See the following link regarding chosing portable solar panels. My father-in-law uses one for his caravan all the time, not too big and just keeps the battery topped up - works pretty well in cloudy weather too.:thumb

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/power/solar-power/

Excellent link - thanks for posting that - some great rules of thumb to apply to understand how big a panel you might need.

I'm a fan of solar panels having had them on campervans for the last five years or so. The latest ones now with a good controller will certainly keen the battery charged up enough to run the fridge at least, even with a moderate amount of light. Prices have dropped as well. A decent 100w setup can be had for a round ÂŁ150 if you are prepared for a bit of DIY fitting it.
Just remember that if using a solar panel it should be connected directly to the battery (through a suitable control unit). The manual says electrical feeds should not be connected to the cigar lighter sockets.
There are a number of threads on here about using solar panels, just do a search for "solar"

Thank you. That is lots of helpful information.
My Cali is a 2009 SE with an automatic gearbox (and an electronic sliding door).
There are 2 leisure batteries , how do I connect to cover both of them if I do try the solar route?.
I have requested a site on the edge of the field in the hope that I can get out for a morning drive and recharge the batteries that way if all else fails.

I have been unable to find a workshop to help me until late May as they are really booked up, Anyone know of a good reliable mechanic/electrician who can deal with the inside of a Cali and is based near Essex ?

The two leisure batteries are connected together Judy so if you connect to either one it should be OK.

I am also interested in folding solar panels that could be charged in the sun outside the Cali. I had been told that such a panel can be plugged in to the cigarette lighter. From reading the above there's one comment that this may not be a good idea. Anyone know the facts about that Thanks Aileenonroad

Basically the electronics etc: are much more sophisticated than many conversions. You could get a dedicated socket put in at the rear direct to the + and - terminals of the rear leisure battery with a 15 to 30amp fuse and use just for a folding panel.
Unlike many caravans that have duel fuel fridges etc: the California only has a 12v fridge so you need a fairly hefty Solar Panel array to compensate as the Leisure Batteries don't just power lights but the fridge and heater if used, 100watts or more will be best choice, but will not make you self sufficient but will extend battery function by days.

Its a vw cal! led lights are no big amp suckers, fridge is no prob either, heater sucks juice but use topper/isotop to reduce heat loss. Cant see any problems or need for solar, run 2.0l diesel generator (engine!) for 15 mins to restore full power and no probs. The cali is a generator on wheels basically isnt it?

Its a vw cal! led lights are no big amp suckers, fridge is no prob either, heater sucks juice but use topper/isotop to reduce heat loss. Cant see any problems or need for solar, run 2.0l diesel generator (engine!) for 15 mins to restore full power and no probs. The cali is a generator on wheels basically isnt it?

Pre face lift models did not have led lights, mine does as have converted them to led's

John

Very thru , exept he part that running the engine 15 min to restore full power ....
Running the engine does load the batts but not in15 min
Think you need to drive aprox 100 km to fully load the three batts.
Important detail is also , charge the batts every month thru hook up (at home on driveway or so)
For at least 12h...
Keeps the batts in top condition !

As said above if you use the power from the lesure batss carefull , you can stay without hook up and driving for 3to 4 days no prob

Very thru , exept he part that running the engine 15 min to restore full power ....
Running the engine does load the batts but not in15 min
Think you need to drive aprox 100 km to fully load the three batts.
Important detail is also , charge the batts every month thru hook up (at home on driveway or so)
For at least 12h...
Keeps the batts in top condition !

As said above if you use the power from the lesure batss carefull , you can stay without hook up and driving for 3to 4 days no prob

Agree with the drive to charge batts, we have managed 4 nights on campsite without hook up and no problem with fridge.

John

Notice that the radio cuts off after half an hour or so when parked up - assume this is to save the engine battery from running down and have read on other threads that using the cassette function can be a big drain over a few days - don't suppose anyone has worked out how long the radio alone can be on before problems can occur ? Didn't think radios used much electricity........

al

If you have the RNS 510 Multimedia and Sat Nav, or similar, then it is a bit more than just a radio. It is a mini computer, so when on it boots up, Sat Nav starts looking for satellites etc.
You have 3 options.
1. Use it sparingly.
2. Wire it into leisure battery, but will still switch off after 30 mins because of the Canbus connection.
3. Use a separate 12v or Mains radio/sound system.

Thanks for the above - I just have the basic bargain basement model but I suppose it is still part of the parking sensor computing function ?

I've just got back from a five day music festival. No hook up of course but batteries lasted much better than I expected. Fridge was on level three, four smartphones charged every night and interior lights on for about an hour a day. Battery indicator still showed 70%.Makes me wonder why I have been paying the extra for pitches with power.

I've just got back from a five day music festival. No hook up of course but batteries lasted much better than I expected. Fridge was on level three, four smartphones charged every night and interior lights on for about an hour a day. Battery indicator still showed 70%.Makes me wonder why I have been paying the extra for pitches with power.

Meaning with or without a portable solar power system?
Suppose without , if you don't go plugging in big power users the batts will last few days specially in summer , less light and heating needed.

Sorry Hotel California. Without. I am sure you are right about usage being lower in the summer but I was still very impressed.

Back