Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Officially now the most unreliable vehicle I've owned :(

Bluestone

Bluestone

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So I have one or two post dotted around the technical forum regarding my 2019 150 Ocean. there has been a whole list of things which have gone wrong from the handbrake cover constantly coming adrift to the catalytic converter failing and needing replacing. It's going in this week to have that done and the roof bellows replacing - all under warranty of course.

Over the weekend I went for a little drive and even before it got up to temperature the low coolant level warning came on, yep it's now loosing coolant which now means this is officially the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned (considering the age and millage - purchased August 2019 and now has 23K miles on it. And I've even owned a few Land Rovers!!

Very disappointed with the build quality of this one I hope it's not a trend and I was just unlucky with this one.

Well I have an update and may create another thread for this.

The dealer has fitted the new Catalytic converter and sent a report regarding the loss of coolant. Apparently a stone has flipped up and put a hole in the radiator - anyone else had this?

I must have done well over a millions miles in vehicles and have never had a stone go through a radiator on such a vehicle - maybe back in the day, but these days radiators are well protected- well apparently not so well protected on an Ocean!!

Oh joy that's almost £700 for normal driving on normal roads, certainly increases the running costs if that happens every two years!!

I used to work for VW passenger side & I saw this very rarely. You can ask to see the radiator / damage but it’s quite rare and unlucky but can happen.

Also happened to our AC condenser on a previous car. Just bad luck I guess

also happened to my Honda Deauville many years ago. coolant trickled out through the journey and the engine ceased on the return. dead bike.

Envoyé de mon SM-N981B en utilisant Tapatalk

Yes.......Had it on my Audi driving through France one year. Had to keep topping it up with water. Metal repaired it when I reached my destination and it was fine ever since.

So I have one or two post dotted around the technical forum regarding my 2019 150 Ocean. there has been a whole list of things which have gone wrong from the handbrake cover constantly coming adrift to the catalytic converter failing and needing replacing. It's going in this week to have that done and the roof bellows replacing - all under warranty of course.

Over the weekend I went for a little drive and even before it got up to temperature the low coolant level warning came on, yep it's now loosing coolant which now means this is officially the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned (considering the age and millage - purchased August 2019 and now has 23K miles on it. And I've even owned a few Land Rovers!!

Very disappointed with the build quality of this one I hope it's not a trend and I was just unlucky with this one.
I would agree with that sentiment. I also have a 2019 ocean and it’s currently sitting on the drive dead as all the batteries are dead and no explanation why it keeps doing it, back to the garage again soon for another round of investigations as well as latest safety recall. This is definitely the most unreliable vehicle I have owned

Bought new Beach in July, new radiator in December... Never had before, the rad has no protection at all and is right at the front. Non warranty repair but they did cover the labour and fixed it by the side of the road to save themselves the cost of recovery.

The dealer has fitted the new Catalytic converter and sent a report regarding the loss of coolant. Apparently a stone has flipped up and put a hole in the radiator - anyone else had this?

I must have done well over a millions miles in vehicles and have never had a stone go through a radiator on such a vehicle - maybe back in the day, but these days radiators are well protected- well apparently not so well protected on an Ocean!!

Oh joy that's almost £700 for normal driving on normal roads, certainly increases the running costs if that happens every two years!!
I’ve had a deer go through the 3 radiators that was expensive £1400

Had a pidgeon hit the windscreen on the M4 recently. Wife was snoozing and it made her jump. She asked if I thought the pidgeon would be okay (hmmmm.....hit windscreen at 65mph + their speed ..... that will be a no)

Last edited:
Well last week I had to spend £6310 on a new diff lock, not under warranty!! The diff lock stuck on, doesn't seem right on a 2016 Cali Ocean 4 Motion.
Did you use it much?

Not used once WelshGas, I have never spent more on something I will probably never use but was told it had to be replaced, no other option. Oh well, still love our Cali, you suck it up and move on.

Not used once WelshGas, I have never spent more on something I will probably never use but was told it had to be replaced, no other option. Oh well, still love our Cali, you suck it up and move on.
Unfortunately the saying " Use it or lose it " springs to mind, as with many things in life.

Well last week I had to spend £6310 on a new diff lock, not under warranty!! The diff lock stuck on, doesn't seem right on a 2016 Cali Ocean 4 Motion.
Did you get a second and third opinion on what needed to be done to repair the diff lock? Seems like an awful amount of money. You can almost buy a new engine fo that price.

My nephew got a new audi A4 he had it two weeks and the low coolant came on
he brought it back to the Dealer and a stone damaged the radiator, and they said it happens rarely , you are just unlucky
Hope all goes well after all the repairs

Common requirement to use the low range in the Landrover. Drive forwards / drive backwards. That's it for another 6months.

It is rare, and very bad luck. I had a hole in an AC condenser caused by a stone on a C-Class Merc, and although under warranty, Merc wasn’t interested - saying I must have driven on a very stoney road. I agreed, I’d driven up and down the A38 dual carriageway which was appalling! The dealer took pity and charged for parts only. Also we have had a radiator go on a Golf, and a Triumph Herald. At least with the Herald you could literally stand inside the engine compartment to lift out the rad !

That’s insane.
Did they give you a break down of parts cost and labour costs…?
Just out of interest…

Did you get a second and third opinion on what needed to be done to repair the diff lock? Seems like an awful amount of money. You can almost buy a new engine fo that price.
Just posted back, the part itself was about £5,800, crazy money!

I don’t understand how you can be charged £5800 when it’s listed as an option at less than £800. Something not quite right here. The costs just don’t add up even though options don’t truly reflect the full costs but £5000 difference is a total rip off.

For reference here is a VW Tech Doc for the 2004 on system

@Steve Hart did VW replace your whole transmission system ?
or
just the Diff lock ?
I assume you got a receipt for the works which would have show the complete record of parts replaced ?

Attachments

• ssp_333_e 2.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back