Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

Oil Comsumption / Engine Problems with 2010/2011 Cali's

Discussion in 'General Technical Advice' started by BerndRos, Aug 16, 2015.

1. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member Lifetime VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    I think you should reread my Post 449, where I was pointing out that those who tarred ALL 180s the same, as having an oil consumption problem are wrong and being disingenuous to those owners who have not had this problem and probably never will. No different to saying all 150s are underpowered and need a remap or all Beach’s are just a Van.
    With full knowledge of possible problems and a vehicle that has been properly serviced and at a price that was acceptable I would be more than happy to purchase and replace the engine and ancillary equipment as @AlanC has done.

2. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member Lifetime VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    I suggest a visit to Specsavers and reread my Post 449.

3. Borris

Borris Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Actually I completely agree with your post 449. I've also owned an SE 180dsg 4motion. Splendid vehicle. If it wasn't for Mrs Borris's refusal to drive our family Beach which was purchased as a second car, we'd still have it now. In the end I had to buy her another car and the SE ended up not getting used as much as we had intended so it had to go.

Forgive me for deliberately misinterpreting your post purely for amusement. We haven't had the old Beach verses Ocean thing for a while and I couldn't resist the opportunity. :Iamsorry

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • I Like That! I Like That! x 2
  4. Rubberdubber

Rubberdubber

Oh happy day, so i have a CFCA 180 BiTdi, 2014 model. Just found all this stuff but at 12,000 miles I have no issues at all as yet. I am due a service so plan to speak to my VW Dealer and see what they say but I have no symptoms, sop no real complaint, so I doubt they will do anything straight away. The trouble is I don't want to wait and see either because it's really too late by then. My EGR is a suffix "C" so in the range but maybe better than some. I wondered bout getting the oil analysed before the service? any advice or suggestions welcome :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. WelshGas

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    I too have the same engine. Just passing 80,000 miles. Oil consumption has been 1L in first year over 20,000 miles, 750 mls in year 2, 20,000 to 40,000 miles, and then 500 mls/ 20,000 miles / year for the last 2 years.
    At the rate you are clocking up the miles you have another 16 years to get to the same milage.

6. 2into1

2into1 Née T4WFA. Now running 2017 150 DSG Ocean Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Interesting dilemma.
    My advice would be to change the egr valve to a D. Two reasons (or three) :
    1) you'll add a big chuck of the cost to the resale value of the van. You'll be able to claim correctly that its had the /d since 12k miles.
    2) any egr doesn't last forever. Although their failure is more mileage related than age related, your /c isn't new so it's wear to date can be offset (in your mind) against the cost of a new one.
    The two above are facts and even shouldn't upset WelshGas.
    3) fitting the /d might just save your engine and a £7k+ bill.

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1
  7. AlanC

AlanC Traveling VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    As a sufferer of this problem, it usually kicks in at around 45-85K miles often very suddenly, at 12k miles you still have a way to go 'if' it is going to occur.

Having said that, the C suffix cooler is an updated one (now suffix D) but as @Vw guru has said in another thread, VW did not consider the issue finally fixed until 2015.

As there has been plenty of publicity about this issue, and given you have a 2014 engine and a very low annual mileage, I would just consider having the EGR Cooler changed to a D suffix one.
    Will give you peace of mind if nothing else.

Alan

8. WelshGas

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Agree, alternatively use it more.
    Most of those affected seem to be 2010/2011 and relatively low annual milage.

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1