Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil filter location on T6 204bhp DSG

Ted

Ted

Ted
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I've decided that 24 month service intervals aren't good for the engine.
So although I've got a service plan with VW, I intend to change the engine oil and oil filter between dealer services.
I know this may have been asked before, but I'm struggling to locate the oil filter.
After various searches on the forum and google I am still unsure.

I've got a T6, 204 bhp (150PS) with a DSG gearbox.
From the top of the engine I can see what looks to be a filter housing to the rear of the engine (between the engine and bulkhead), circled in red on the below picture viewed from near the battery housing. Or could this be for the gearbox??
But surely VW haven't squeezed it into the most inaccessible part of the engine bay, have they?
I might have big shovels hands, but I can only just get in, and it's quite a stretch!

In all fairness I haven't been underneath and removed the plastic cover. So it might be more apparent then.
Also (dumb question I know) but is the engine oil drain plug obvious from the underside? Again I don't want to drain the transmission fluid by mistake!!

Many thanks in advance.

engine bay.jpg

Oil Filter is underneath, remove the engine tray for access.

See attached, the 204 is the last section bottom of page 5.

Attachments

• oil-filter-change.pdf
    426.1 KB · Views: 108
Oil Filter is underneath, remove the engine tray for access.
That's great, thanks for the super quick response Loz.
I did think it was in a daft place if it was behind the engine!

Looks like it'll be a weekend of spannering for me!

I've decided that 24 month service intervals aren't good for the engine.
So although I've got a service plan with VW, I intend to change the engine oil and oil filter between dealer services.

So you know something VW/Petrochemical engineers don’t?

Do share.

So you know something VW/Petrochemical engineers don’t?

Do share.
I’ve spoken to several mechanics who have all independently stated that 2 year service intervals are not good for any engine. They agreed that oil is far better than it used to be, however 24 months is just too long.

You might think that they are just trying to drum up more business, which is possible.
However consider that the wear on mechanical parts won’t be an immediate problem, and when problems present themselves any warranty will be long out of date.

I presume it depends upon how long you intend to keep your Cali.
As far as I’m concerned it’s a keeper, and I’d like to do my bit the extend the life expectancy.
For the sake of £100 it won’t do any harm.

This is a topic that could run and run.
What buggers an engine is short journeys.It's not the time between services it's your use profile.

I have done exactly the same, changed oil and filters, turbos love clean oil, make sure you use genuine parts as it could be noticed when it goes for its proper service that someone has been at it. Like you I had trouble finding the filter but drop the tray off and it is quiet a straight forward job.

I have done exactly the same, changed oil and filters, turbos love clean oil, make sure you use genuine parts as it could be noticed when it goes for its proper service that someone has been at it. Like you I had trouble finding the filter but drop the tray off and it is quiet a straight forward job.
Good to know it’s not just me.
Yeah, I intend to use genuine parts.

There are stints when I do only short journeys, but I ensure I use the Cali for the next long run to try and make up for the shorter ones. Helps to clear out the pipes!

I too have an Annual Service and Oil Change. The thing is I do 20,000 or so miles/ year. Now on 79,500 miles and just 4 yrs and 2 months old.

I am very, very wary of these vehicles that average 2 or 3,000 miles/year.

Just my take on things - Use it or Lose it.

I too have an Annual Service and Oil Change. The thing is I do 20,000 or so miles/ year. Now on 79,500 miles and just 4 yrs and 2 months old.

Entirely agree, IF i was to buy another Cali i would never consider a low mileage vehicle. Why? because it is a commercial/van vehicle and needs to be used.

Like all cars they like to be used.
My mileage isn't that low, about 6k a year. I would like to do more, as that means more travelling! Unfortunately the need to work gets in the way.:(

Thing is, it's completely different depending on fuel.

Petrol engines tend to wash the bores clear of oil (made worse by short trips on richer mixture) and therefore wear out quicker where as, diesel engines basically run on oil so they get much more lubrication.

A petrol engine with 200k on the clock will be a bit tired. A diesel with similar mileage will just be run in.

(Cue someone quoting their petrol engine with starship mileage and still does 60mpg.)

Back